cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

coreyvelan
I've been here awhile

I just got the Pixel 3. The phone appears to let you turn on wifi calling, but it doesn't actually work. I called Rogers support and they said wifi calling isn't supported yet on the pixel 3 and he didn't know if it would be. Anyone know if it will be? If not, I think I'll have to return the phone. Reception in my house is brutal and wifi calling on my s7 edge saved me.

***Edited Labels***

71 REPLIES 71

Re: WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

trimaican
I plan to stick around
That's worked, thanks!

Is there an faq on the procedure? The link is about AT&T and not the Pixel

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

Quick update ; I'm not sure what hapenned or when it hapenned but my non Rogers Pixel 3 now has VoLTE working without any action on my end. The only thing I tried (may have a link with this or not) is to disable then renable the "Carrier Services" app in the app settings. It may also just be luck or that Rogers changed something on their end recently ; not sure.

IMS Registration = Registered
Voice over LTE = Available 
UT Interface = Available

Voice over WiFI (WiFI calling) remains "unavailable" however and even if it shows in the Phone Info settings "WiFi calling  provisioned = Yes", when I try to turn it on, even after contacting support I get prompted with a "Unfortunately your accounr isn't eligible for Rogers Wi-Fi Calling" (and it is, I confirmed with customer service). 

trimaican
I plan to stick around
That's a bit random but glad it's working for you. So far it's not for me even with that potential fix

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

And I confirm that WiFi Calling now works for me.
After seeing VoLTE worked figured I'd give it another shot. While NOT being logged on to a WiFi netowrk (only LTE), I was able to flip the switch for Wi-Fi calling to "ON" and then got prompted with a page where I capture my e911 address, name (Etc). Once I did that I was prompted to go back to Wi-Fi calling to turn it on but it wouldn't turn on / work right away ; I had to restart the phone, waited 10-15 minutes and then flip the switch back off/on again, with Wi-Fi network turned on this time. I also got an email saying I successfully registered for Wi-Fi calling from rogers.

Just placed a first Wi-Fi call (shows up as "Wi-Fi Call" when you dial out in the dialer app) and worked flawlessly. Tried my voicemail ; also works. So there is hope people ; call and complain if it doesn't work for you.

trimaican
I plan to stick around

darn still no luck here. Goes straight to the "sorry wifi calling isn't available for your device" you may be the lucky one on this front.

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around
I'm sorry about the bad link, I don't know what happened I copied it straight from Reddit.

Anyway, this should be the right one: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9wn1i0/for_those_on_rogers_with_issues_setting_up_rcs_...

msav999
I plan to stick around

So I caved, returned my Google purchased Pixel 3 and bought a Rogers Pixel 3.

My Wifi Calling experience:

Was able to turn Wifi Calling on, provision my number, add my e911 address and seemingly have everything working. My Wifi calling seeming to work intermittently, however never 100% of the time, even when I would be on a strong WiFi signal at home.

Contacted Rogers, they walked me through a bunch of steps to try to figure out why it wouldn't stay connected continuously (including resetting my wireless profile in their system, activating WiFi calling on my number). After the end of it all, with it still no connecting continuously, the Rogers help agent went away for a bit to find out if there were any Pixel 3 specific issues with WiFi calling. They came back and said the following:

"Thank you for your patience. I have some bad news, unfortunately. 😞 At this time, Wi-Fi calling is not available for the Pixel3. It's a relatively new phone so this may change, but we, unfortunately, do not have an estimated support date."

This was on November 16, 2018. So I guess WiFi calling still isn't officially supported by Rogers, and who knows when it will be. It's really disappointing that Google's flagship phone doesn't get the same support as iPhone.

Smiley Sad

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I hope Rogers will support WiFi calling, I want to buy the new pixel, but WiFi calling is a deal breaker for me. I live in an area with poor reception, so I require WiFi calling on my phones.

cstl3722
I plan to stick around

Any update about Chat feature issue (RCS) ? I tried everything to enable it and no success.

Hey @cstl3722,

I can appreciate the importance of RCS working on your device! The additional features it provides is certainly a boon over traditional SMS. To my knowledge there should not be an issue with RCS functionality on the Pixel 3. Just out of curiosity have you tried the steps detailed in message 42 by user @FoleyRose?

RogersAndy

cstl3722
I plan to stick around

I've tried everything and I even got the help of a tech from Google. You should check with your team, I've contacted the wireless support and they told me there is currently an issue with RCS for Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 here is the ticket number PT00617643.

mitz840
I've been here awhile

Hi Dear Pixel 3/XL users,

I recently bought Pixel 3XL from Rogers. and quickly found out that RCS feature is not working, it always remains on the screen where a circle outline rotating. so I called Rogers service and found out that it's a known issue and and Rogers is aware of it and working on a fix, no ETA provided though. the person non the other side of call suggest me escalate the issue so that it might caught the attention of Rogers and speed up the fix. BTW message 42 as some quick fix for RCS issue, worked for me.

On wi-fi calling and VoLTE issue,

i tried the step and dial *#*#4whateverwhatever#*#*,

so initially my wi-fi calling in the setting was ON, phone connected to wi-fi, data off, then dialed the *#*#blabla,

Voice over LTE = Unavailable 

Wi-fi calling = Available,

then I turned off wifi, and set the data on, dialed the number, 

Surprise surprise!!,

Voice over LTE = Available 

Wi-fi calling = Unavailable,

so the conclusion is,the number provideS the IMS info on what CURRENTLY your phone is using, NOT what is available/supported by the phone itself.

Hope this helps.

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

So bumping this thread as since the last carrier services update (10-Jan-2019) I have been having a lot of issues with LTE data and ended up losing VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling... It was working fine for the past 2 months but now, I am no longer IMS = Registered, back to IMS = Not registered and no VoLTE or WiFi Calling on Google bought Pixel 3 on the Rogers network.

Anybody else having issues since the last carrier services update? I tried reverting back to the "stock" version of the app, no luck so far.

I actually had to change APN settings as my phone was now trying to connect to rogers-core-appl1.apn instead of ltemobile.apn. If I go back to rogers-core-appl1.apn, WiFi call actually works... But LTE data does not which is a BIT of an issue.

Curious to hear if anyone else experience issues in last 2-3 days with a non Rogers Pixel 3?

msav999
I plan to stick around
Same thing happening here, and I'm on a Rogers Pixel 3. WiFi calling seems to be working great now, but no LTE+. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hello @msav999!

I know both LTE and WiFi Calling are important network features. Having a reliable signal in your home is of the utmost importance. If you're unable to get either of these features to work on your Rogers device, please PM us @CommunityHelps and I will investigate.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I have been a Rogers customer for about 20 years. I recently bought a Pixel 3 directly from Google. Worked great until I moved into a new condo in Abbotsford.Immediately I realized I had no signal unless i stepped far out onto my patio(luckily its big). I was told through Rogers to turn on my WiFi calling feature and fill in the required 911 info. I did all this but to my disappointment I was not able to get the Wifi calling to work. 2nd or 3rd time contacting Rogers I was told that I NEEDED to buy my Google Phone through Rogers as they will not activate this feature for phones bought elsewhere. Frankly this upsets me. Basically they were "choosing" not to activate this feature unless I bought my phone through them and it was suggested I buy a "Cell signal booster" $500-$700 cost. I am looking into moving over to Telus but I have no guarantee that Telus will work any better. I'm debating all my options but now I  read on here that even Rogers bought Google Pixel 3's are able to get the WiFi calling to work??? What the heck is going on here? 

Can we get a straight answer here? 

Deusfaux
I've been around

SOLVED.  (my situation was with another provider but much of it will apply to Rogers so I am posting my findings here. you can replace pretty much every instance of 'Telus' with Rogers, or Bell/Freedom/the others for that matter)

~30 mins on the phone with Telus tech support and explaining how provisioning the billing codes on my account for VoLTE/WiFi calling wasn't enough to enable these services on my phone and that I needed this supposed IMS registration, the rep went back and forth with me and his help desk a few times, we reset the phone twice, and eventually it worked and showed in the phone information menu (##4636##)

IMS registration status: available, VoLTE: available

WiFi calling - when I hit the toggle this time just moved to on and stayed on, didn't even have to do the setup process (presumably because it had been done several times before).

VoLTE - verified by making a call and phone stayed on LTE, did not drop to "H"SPA as it had been doing before. verified wifi calling by putting phone into airplane mode, enabling wifi and the network in the notification shade said "Telus Wifi Calling"

The guess is non-carrier (Telus in this case) purchased phones are not whitelisted or in the system (their IMEI?) to automatically get IMS registered without tech support assistance.

I think in every 3rd party (Google in this case) purchase phone, the user WILL need to call in to tech support and speak to an agent familiar with the issue or is encouraged to really dig into the things they need to do on their end to get it working.

I also wonder if the device model has to be an approved one by Telus. e.g. can previous Pixels which have not been officially listed by Telus get this working if they support the features? Will only device models Telus has sold themselves work? I don't have answers to these questions and other users will have to try. I'd recommend obscuring what your phone model is or telling Telus it's one of the supported devices to get an honest attempt from them at getting working rather than just repeating a script that it's not supported. We want the real answer whether it can be done or not.

I'm disappointed this information was so hard to find on the net and wasn't provided by any of the providers themselves. There should be information on Telus' VoLTE and WiFi calling pages, for example that explicitly state users with 3rd party purchased devices will need to call in to tech support to get their device activated. I'm sad for mainstream users that A. dont know about these features existing B. don't know they need to be added to their account for billing purposes C don't know they're not actually working at that point and that they D need to call in and work with a tech to get them actually functional

I hope these posts help others who come after me who had the same questions and issues I did.

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around
Exactly this. Also my experience and FYI, I genuinely think WiFi Call was never supported on OG Pixel as I had it and was able to get VoLTE to work (after calling to get IMEI Whitelisted) but the WiFi Call toggle was grayed out and always had been in the #4636# menu which leads me to believe that for this model, WiFi calling was just never supported at all by Rogers (i.e. WiFi call won't ever get provisioned if phone model = Pixel). For Pixel 3, both VoLTE and WiFi Call were natively "available" in the #4636# menu, but wouldn't work until IMS registration worked (which as you pointed out seem to only work for non Rogers device when someone on Rogers' side "adds" your IMEI or "toggles" provisioning to your phone). On my Pixel 3 for instance "Video calling" is grayed out which leads me to believe that at the moment (or maybe ever) ; carrier Video calling (Through the Phone app) will never work on any Pixel 3 on Rogers, unless this toggle becomes available eventually.

It's really a weird concept and i genuinely don't get what companies get by doing this. An option to self whitelist your IMEI for instance in the customer space online would be so easy (just like you can update your SIM card number if you swap SIMs). After that, if your phone's VoLTE, WiFi calling (etc.) doesn't work and it's a non Rogers device, I would understand that Rogers will do what they can to help but will be limited in what they can do as they can't cover all phone models / versions. But for phones like Pixels, Essential Phone and the "big brands" (Galaxy phones for instance) there is no reason why functions like VoLTE and WiFi calling couldn't work out of the box really. Of all phones ; ESPECIALLY on the Pixels it doesn't make any sense at all.

ChrisWo
I've been around
Any updates on this? Does anyone with a pixel 3 have WiFi calling out volte working? I found this thread because I noticed my wifi calling stopped working at some point. Put the Sim card in another phone and it works, back into my pixel 3 and still no go. Don't even have the option under Network anymore. My phone is up to date, not rooted, etc.

Good evening @ChrisWo,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for posting!

For many reasons you may want to be able to use the Wi-Fi calling feature of your Pixel 3.

You indicated that it "stopped working at some point". Was is functional with this particular device in the past?

I can assure you that the Google Pixel 3 has the following specifications:

• 5.5in Full HD+ display
  • 12MP rear camera and dual 8MP front facing camera
  • 2915mAh battery
  • Pressure sensors – squeeze your phone to activate Google Assistant
  • VoLTE and VoWiFi Supported
  • WiFi Calling - Yes

• Are you using a Google Pixel you got directly from Rogers?

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you must have the Wi-Fi Calling feature enabled in your Settings on a compatible Rogers device with an LTE SIM. You must also subscribe to a Rogers postpaid wireless voice and LTE data plan

Find more details about our Wi-Fi Calling Terms & Conditions, here.

If you meet all the criteria, we may need to further troubleshoot. Let us know!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats