cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

coreyvelan
I've been here awhile

I just got the Pixel 3. The phone appears to let you turn on wifi calling, but it doesn't actually work. I called Rogers support and they said wifi calling isn't supported yet on the pixel 3 and he didn't know if it would be. Anyone know if it will be? If not, I think I'll have to return the phone. Reception in my house is brutal and wifi calling on my s7 edge saved me.

***Edited Labels***

71 REPLIES 71

Re: WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

RogersZia

Hi @coreyvelan,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Based on what you've described I can only imagine how convenient this calling feature must be for you. At this time we do not have any information on if/when VoLTE and Wifi Calling will be added to Google Pixel 3. Once we have more information we'll update the Community! Please stay tuned 🙂.

RogersZia

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

Would like to know as well when this is supported. I have toggles for VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling but turning them on does nothing (Calls still drop to 3G from LTE+ and no way of using Wi-Fi calling). 
I also can't use the advanced (RCS) messaging options in the Messages app. 
It would be quite surprising that this isn't supported on the bran new Google flagships devices ... Can you look into this Rogers please?

JeromeM
I plan to stick around

Unfortunately just goes to show again how brutal Rogers is. Pixel 2 had WiFi calling working, people use these features on a daily basis, why wouldn't it be available for Pixel 3 or why wouldn't Rogers have an ETA of when?

CryoGoblin
I've been around

VoLTE and VoWifi is supported on the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL through Rogers.

CryoGoblin : as in ; it is working right now for you on a Pixel 3 or 3 XL? 
Or as in ; it will be supported or is supposed to currently be? Support couldn't get it to work for meand based on what I've seen on reddit threads and here, if it's supposed to be working for Pixel 3s ; it's not the case for everyone just yet.

@CryoGoblin wrote:

VoLTE and VoWifi is supported on the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL through Rogers.

I had to call in to get my wife's Pixel 3 working on Wifi.

It would provision but never turned on.  They did something on their end and then it works

RCS seems to be having issues, though

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around

Wifi calling and VoLTE seems to be working for me too, but not Chat messages.

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

Can you do me a favor those of you for who this is working? Go in your dialer app, type *#*#4636#*#*, select Phone Information, tap on 3 little dots top right corner, select IMS Service Status and tell me what you see, specifically what it says under IMS Registration, Voice over LTE and Voice over WiFi.

For me this says not registered, unavailable, unavailable.

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around

I have "registered, available, unavailable". I actually haven't tried before posting, but now that I did try wifi calling is enabled but doesn't work. VoLTE does though.

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around
Urgh. Anyone have any idea what I need to do to get IMS registered? Mine shows unregistered and VoLTE / calling over WiFi as unavailable. Called support, they told me to wait a few minutes while they do something on their end, turn off and then on my phone and that it should work but it doesn't.

Greetings @Test12478120532!

It's definitely strange that you haven't been able to access your Calling Over Wi-Fi feature! I can confirm that VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling are both available on the Pixel 3. 

It could be something to do with how your account services are configured. To get a better handle of the situation, we'd like you to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps. Then we'll be able to review your account to see what could be causing the issue.

For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

We look forward to hearing from you!! 😃

RogersLaura

trimaican
I plan to stick around

@RogersYasmine I tried to do that as I have the same issue but @RogersHelps doesn't come up in the PM system when I go to send it. Any advice?

Hello @trimaican,

My sincere apologies! It should be @CommunityHelps. I have edited my post to reflect the same. Thank you so much for pointing out this error in my post, it's greatly appreciated!! 😊

Please try sending us the Private Message again so we can assist!

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I just tried to enable wifi calling again, and it is working now.  My phone did get an android update yesterday. I don't know if that's what did it or some change on the Rogers end, but it is working now!

trimaican
I plan to stick around
For those having issues note that if your device was purchased outside of Rogers I. E. Directly from Google you are out of luck from getting these features. I had these issues with my OG Pixel. Bought my 2XL through Rogers and was fine. I thought the unlock rules being changed would get rid of this silly restriction (as there is no difference in terms of hardware or software) but alas be warned.

Sadly between black Friday and holiday plan promotions, I'll be likely leaving as now I don't lose anything feature wise by going to a competitor.

Hope that saves some time for those in the same boat.

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

Are you kidding me? This is still a thing in Q4 2018 with phones having to be unlocked by default for close to a year now?

Rogers team ; can you confirm a Pixel 3 bought from the manufacturer (which is identical to a Rogers bought one and don't say it isn't because it is, it gets the same carriers service update and has the exact same software yours do, it even auto-installs apps like the MyRogers app and updates your carrier services package when you put a Rogers SIM Card in it) will NOT be provisionned with VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling? If that's the case, I'm gone too. 

Also, I am 99.9% sure my OG Pixel actually had VoLTE working (but no Wi-Fi calling) and it was Google Store bought too. 

For those that do have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling working ; can you look at your APN Settings and see iff you have an "IMS" APN? And if you do, can you share the settings of that APN?

trimaican
I plan to stick around

Yes I'm pretty sure I was the same with the OG VoLTE  was working.  this is the first time its not.  and no RCS but I am pretty sure I just need my profile reset for that one to work. (a separate issue I know)

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around

I don't have an IMS APN, I have Rogers Internet and Rogers Tethering.

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around
So I just tried something... I put my SIM card in an old Pixel phone I have that previously had VoLTE with Rogers. After a few minutes my IMS status and VoLTE become registered and available. I can make VoLTE calls. I can't make WiFi calling work however but never could on that phone on Rogers.

Then I put the SIM card in my Pixel 3 and surprise, I can do VoLTE calls ! For 10-15 minutes or so. Then my IMS registrations status returns to Not registered and VoLTE unavailable and I can no longer use VoLTE.

Conclusion : again, Rogers is preventing non Rogers device to use VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. Rogers can you explain / respond ?

msav999
I plan to stick around
Does anyone know if you need to have Pixel 3 purchased through Rogers to have access to WiFi calling? I bought my Pixel from Google.
Topic Stats