WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

@ivanpetrov wrote:

@alanina wrote:

@samin my Pixel XL that was bought from Google (because it wasn't available from Rogers) is updated and is showing VoLTE as provisioned however when calling it drops down to 3G which shows VoLTE is not working.

I called Rogers and they said they did add my IMEI to their database however the system is still detecting my phone as a non-Rogers - maybe that check is looking for something else too. I don't know.

The thing is I do have a perfectly good Pixel XL and I pay them monthly but they chose to not fix the problem (VoLTE doesn't work on my phone).

I am on the same boat.  Every time I place or get a call, phone falls back to 3G. "Phone info" (*#*#4636#*#*) now tells me the phone is provisioned for VoLTE (before that option was greyed out), but IMS service status tells me "IMS registration: Not Registered" and "Voice over LTE: Unavailable"

I wonder if they "add my IMEI" if that would make it work. How did you make them add your phone to their database?

@ivanpetrov

You can try calling Rogers or sending a PM to @CommunityHelps asking them to add your IMEI to your account, and confirm that it's provisioned for WiFi calling on Rogers End.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Are there any updates to WiFi calling for the Google Pixel??

My house has almost no signal in the basement, so I miss calls/SMS when I'm on call. I don't want to switch cell companies, but may have to if WiFi calling doesn't happen soon. Come on Rogers!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just checking to see if this was attempted and if it helped
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @msav999 & @trimaican,

I can definitely understand the importance of WiFi calling for customers in low reception areas, such as yourselves. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any news I can pass along at this time, however you can keep an eye on what's in the pipeline for Rogers in the future. Check out our OS Upgrade Schedule thread

BTW, welcome to the Community @msav999! I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but we'll be sure to update the Community with any further updates, once it's available.

Regards,

RogersCilio

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So good news (sort of) is I got VoLTE working on my non-Rogers Pixel XL. The bad news is it only works for few minutes and then goes back to switching down to 3G when on a call.  I tried contacting Rogers to enable the feature on their end to try to get it working.   But phone kept falling back to 3G despite all settings "enhanced 4G calling"/etc all set the proper way. Then I contacted Rogers on the advise from a fellow member here to have them enable VoLTE on my account by adding my device IMEI to their systems. This didn't seem to change anything. IMS status in service menu kept saying "VoLTE unavailable". Then I got the idea of trying my SIM in a phone that has native support for VoLTE on Rogers - I had an iPhone 6S laying around and I tried that. Initially iPhone behaved just like my Pixel - phone kept falling back to 3G when incoming or outgoing call is in progress. Then I enabled Wi-Fi calling in the iPhone menu - after doing this, the  iPhone started staying on LTE when on a call! So I popped the sim back in the Pixel - and YES - VoLTE worked - IMS status said VoLTE enabled, I did few test calls - inbound and outbound - Pixel stayed on LTE at all times!! But my joy was short lived - few minutes later the phone started falling back to 3G when on call (no VoLTE). Rotating the SIM trough the iPhone seems to toggle the VoLTE, but it then gets de-provisioned shortly after 😞 My guess my IMEI isn't on the authorized VoLTE list at Rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Buying your phone from Wireless Wave and buying it directly from Google are two different things. Wireless Wave sells phones on all carriers, when you buy a Pixel from them they have devices specifically marked for Rogers and is in their IMEI database, mine has a red sticker on the box, they also have ones specifically for all the other carriers they represent. Best buy and other retailers in Canada do the exact same thing, they arent selling you a Google Store version of the phone. Buying a Pixel from the Play store is different because the IMEI is not in any carriers database

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And the question remains, why should it make any difference where you buy it?  I bought my Nexus 1 from Google and had no problems using it on Rogers.  Why should it be any different with the Pixel.  While it may not be in the database when purchased, it should be once it's put in service.  This smells like an unwarranted restriction to me.

Does the same happen with Bell, Telus etc.?

@Nerds2You wrote:

Buying your phone from Wireless Wave and buying it directly from Google are two different things. Wireless Wave sells phones on all carriers, when you buy a Pixel from them they have devices specifically marked for Rogers and is in their IMEI database, mine has a red sticker on the box, they also have ones specifically for all the other carriers they represent. Best buy and other retailers in Canada do the exact same thing, they arent selling you a Google Store version of the phone. Buying a Pixel from the Play store is different because the IMEI is not in any carriers database

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Agreed its one of those things that made more sense in the past because would have different SKUs for different carriers etc but now with the hardware being the same it doesn't make as much sense.  Especially for devices like a Pixel or an unlocked iPhone.

hopefully this will be something that is reconsidered in the future,  otherwise we just have to make due unfortunately.

I am interested to see if the other Canadian carriers do this, I know there are US and European carriers that don't and it is something I am observing to help make a decision on where I buy the next Pixel (that and I had a terrible experience with getting a repair on my pixel but thats a whole different topic).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

agreed as well

I made a big rant about it on Fido forums

going to submit a complaint to CCTS and see if there's anything they can do since CRTC is making it so that all phones sold are unlock and blocking out features based on where phone are bought phone makes it a bit counter intuitive 

the software and hardware is the same as the ones rogers/fido are selling so it supports it but they're just denying VoLTE to device not from them

doesn't really make sense as well since VoLTE is more efficient so it puts less strain on their network as well

also they're not blocking voice calls made on 3G network so why would they block VoLTE for no valid reason?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Kenjuta

I filed that very same concern in June to CCTC - they advised I forward to CRTC as it currently is for them to consider as it has not been implemented yet (the unlock topic).

They did forward my original email to CCTC to Rogers though.

Here is the contact information:

You may wish to contact CRTC at 1-877-249-2782, option 3, as they may be able to assist you with this matter. 

I think this has to be raised - we have already seen increase in activation fee, roam like home, local data costs (not those restricted under roaming) occur, and this ongoing practice of restricting access to services in our phones to only those sold through Rogers - they could still keep doing that.  

Required unlocked phones won't mean that they have to provide services on any phone and I expect they will do it only if they are forced, and I suspect we will be seeing a charge to get our IMEI switched over - almost needs to be like porting - some services do it for free, others don't - no restriction on cost, it just has to happen.

Keep pushing on this one proactively, and trying to get CRTC to recognize that this is another practice that is restricting our ease in movement from company to company, which is the whole mandate around the removed 30 day notice, excessive termination fees (not talking about paying out a tab), and now the removal of locking - CRTC will need to consider how ISP's are going to respond to unlocking and hopefully not allow them to expand this already current practice around unlocked phones bought from manufacturer.

We pay an activation fee and for the SIM card, why are they not turning on all feature sets (good question for CRTC to consider).

Bruce