WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

VoLTE and WiFi calling working or not working doesn't really matter to me. I just want to know if these two features should be working on the pixel XL or not. If they are how do I know

Mythen
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Eh -- first link that popped up off Google that was from Rogers was this one: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/volte/2184

On that page:

What do I need to have in order to use VoLTE?

All Rogers post-paid customers with a LTE SIM card, a VoLTE-compatible phone and updated device software can take advantage of this enhancement automatically.

Both Pixel and the Pixel XL are VoLTE-compatible phones.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Yoni1

Does that anywhere show " Pixel or Pixel XL unlocked or bought from anywhere else other then Rogers?

Also a Rogers MOD has made comments about this and said that it only works with devices that are bought within Rogers. Unless said on the website otherwise, he is correct.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Would be great if we could do something like have the IMEI registered to Rogers to see if that helps, but it doesn't appear so. I made the mistake of putting a different sim in one of my devices so I can't get those features on my s8 even though it's unlocked and has Rogers software on it.

With the pixel it's even more complex as it's straight up unlocked but yea if you didn't buy it from Rogers you're out of luck

I wonder about that person who suggested relocking it to Rogers through wireless wave etc. Is that even possible for a pixel?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Meowmix 

"All Rogers post-paid customers with a LTE SIM card, a VoLTE-compatible phone and updated device software" would indeed include Pixel and Pixel XL phones that are bought from other places, since those phones would certainly fall under "VoLTE-compatible".

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Yoni1

You would think that but Rogers has posted and said many times only their Rogers device bought from Rogers would support this. Why wouldn't the Pixel be able to do it meanwhile its a unlocked device? I have no clue.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Meowmix -- I'm not arguing whether they actually support non-Rogers devices. My point was simply that at least on some level, they certainly claim to.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Honestly, all I want to know is if there's a technical reason why this isn't possible, in which case I'll just get over it.

If the reason is indeed "because you don't give us enough money", then that's grounds for switching carriers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I bought at Best Buy but Rogers is getting my money and by the end of my term I will have paid more than $800 for my Pixel XL. At that price I should get all the bells and whistles that are possible! Holding features hostage is no way to treat loyal customers who spend thousands of dollars each, every year. It shows them to be a money grubbing, uncaring, arrogant, corporation. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@FoleyRose wrote:

Honestly, all I want to know is if there's a technical reason why this isn't possible, in which case I'll just get over it.

If the reason is indeed "because you don't give us enough money", then that's grounds for switching carriers.

I'd be very surprised if there is a technical reason.  VoLTE and Wifi calling are standards available to everyone.  In fact, compared to some other carriers, Rogers is behind the game with this.