cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

skip501
I plan to stick around

Does anyone have any information as to whether WiFi Calling and VoLTE will be supported on the Google Pixel? My Pixel is pretty much useless at home without these features. For a flagship, I am shocked that these features were not offered from the Pixel launch date.

***Edited Labels***

281 REPLIES 281

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Itsdavef
I plan to stick around
From what I can see wifi calling still isn't provisioned on the phone.

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around

Also, please remember that VoLTE is only supported on Pixel and Pixel XL devices purchased from Rogers. Devices purchased elsewhere are not supported.

Any specific reason besides giving us the middle finger for not giving you even more money?

JoshuaAustin
I plan to stick around
This really bothers me as well. VOLTE works fine on devices purchased outright off contact at the Apple store. Why is the Pixel so different?

Rogers wasn't able to deliver any 128GB Pixel XLs for a long time (still cant last I looked). Direct from Google was the only way to go...

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JoshuaAustin

Most likely it's due to th agreements with Google on selling the devices to Rogers and Rogers doing it.

I remember when everyone tried to find the 128 Pixel XL at launch and later in and could not find it yet some got it. Weird eh.

samin
I've been here awhile
You don't have to directly buy your phone from the Rogers store. You could get it locked to Rogers from their 3rd party vendors like Wirelesswave, etc. That's where I bought my Google Pixel XL 128GB in Dec 2016 where almost no Rogers store could get their hands on it.
I see HD icon now when I make calls, so I assume my VoLTE is working now.
I also found 3rd party resellers giving out better deals compare to Rogers store.

alanina
I plan to stick around

@RogersDarrell

I have gotten NKG47L OTA after Rogers approved it but VoLTE (even if it looks like it's enabled in the Settings) doesn't work for me on my Pixel XL that I bought from Google.

Is that correct? You are enabling this feature ONLY to the Rogers customers that specifically bought it from Rogers.

If that is the case I think this is a disappointing decision for the company you are representing and I will probably start looking to take my money somewhere else.

I can't even imagine your Marketing department would even think that way. 

Please let me know if by any chance my understanding is incorrect and this feature is supposed to work for all Pixel XL phones running on you LTE network.

Thanks!

SWade
I plan to stick around

I purchased my phone from Best Buy​ locked to Rogers and I have the Enhanced 4G LTE Mode enabled but I don't see any HAD icon when I make calls. Does this mean I am out of luck?

alanina
I plan to stick around
What do you mean by locking your phone to Rogers? How is that done? Aren't all Pixel phones unlocked?

SWade
I plan to stick around
If you buy in Canada through a carrier plan the phone is locked to that carrier. Even after you pay for the phone completely at the end of your term, you still have to pay on average,$50, to get the carrier to unlock the phone so that you can sell it as unlocked.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
From what I have learned none of the pixel phones are locked to the carrier. A simple sim card change at the end of your term to another provider is all that is needed should you desire to do so

alanina
I plan to stick around

Really? Have you seen a Pixel phone that would not work with a SIM from another carrier other than the one that sold you the phone? To be honest I'm shocked to hear that.

SWade
I plan to stick around
If that is true, why are we waiting for the high and mighty Rogers to allow us to use features that everyone else can use. We Should all just take our phones over to another carrier. My work phone is a Galaxy S7 on Fido and VoLTE works on it.

fred471
I'm here a lot
Wrong, all Pixels are factory unlocked. Mine is from Bell and works on Rogers network without any 50$ unlocking.

HOWEVER, VoLTE doesn't work since my Pixel is not from Rogers, as mentionned earlier.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
Right VoLTE doesn't work but all pixel phones are factory unlocked. So no $50 fee to unlock. But that being said none of the other providers can touch the deal I have currently with rogers. I am a happy camper

Yoni1
I'm here a lot

Rogers advertises that VoLTE will work with VoLTE capable devices, and the Pixel is such a device.

If Rogers is blocking the feature from working, it certainly sounds to me like they're not providing the service advertised which would seemingly be reasonable grounds for terminating any contracts you may have with them.

alanina
I plan to stick around

That's what's offending my common sense - there's probably no other way for Rogers to know if a Pixel was bought from their store other than creating an IMEI database.

Since none of the Pixels are locked on a carrier they chose to "punish" the people that pay money to them on a weekly bases and NOT enable a feature that their phone is perfectly capable of doing.

I cannot forget that iPhone owners in the same situation are treat it differently since VoLTE works even if they bought their phone in the Apple store.

Rogers you're proving again you're not worth my business... 

alanina
I plan to stick around

Did Rogers Enable VoLTE just for Pixel Phones Bought From Them?

I bought my Pixel from Google because Rogers didn't have it available, but I am on a monthly plan with Rogers.

Why are they choosing to cripple the VoLTE feature that my phone is capable of supporting on their network?

Please let me know why should I still pay them money when they treat their subscribers with such disrespect?

Thanks!

PS: do they follow the same business logic with people buying iPhones in the Apple store?

SWade
I plan to stick around
I purchased my phone based on the facts that the sales rep iterated about both VoLTE and WiFi calling being possible. I have been trying since I bought it to get these features enabled and it appears that VoLTE is now working but I can't confirm it since no HD icon shows up when I make a call to another VoLTE phone.
There has been no update from Rogers about when Wifi calling will be enabled,so with the knowledge that the phone is not locked to Rogers, ( I just confirmed that by using my Fido SIM card in it), I feel it is ultimatum time.
Roger has 1 month to get WiFi calling working on this phone or I am within my rights to end my contract with them and take the phone to another carrier without penalty.
Everyone else should make the same statement and contact the retention department to make them aware of how many dissatisfied customers they have.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Yoni1

Actually that's incorrect. Rogers did NOT advertise that it will work with a device that is unlocked or bought from somewhere else. They have written on their site and term of uses that any device which is VOLTE and WiFi Calling will be a enabled on Rogers branded phones and the phone THEY support which is listed on their website.

I see where you are coming from but the CRTC or the ombudsmans office will be terminating your line for free. You can complain to them and they MIGHT be able to but again it's no written anywhere that shows the Pixel or Pixel XL bought from Google or anywhere else other then Rogers can get WiFi Calling or VOLTE.

I see where you guys are coming from as I had a similar issue going on and contact the CRTC. They told me unfortunately since Rogers didn't state that anywhere, they can't do anything about it.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@SWade

@SWade wrote:
I purchased my phone based on the facts that the sales rep iterated about both VoLTE and WiFi calling being possible. I have been trying since I bought it to get these features enabled and it appears that VoLTE is now working but I can't confirm it since no HD icon shows up when I make a call to another VoLTE phone.
There has been no update from Rogers about when Wifi calling will be enabled,so with the knowledge that the phone is not locked to Rogers, ( I just confirmed that by using my Fido SIM card in it), I feel it is ultimatum time.
Roger has 1 month to get WiFi calling working on this phone or I am within my rights to end my contract with them and take the phone to another carrier without penalty.
Everyone else should make the same statement and contact the retention department to make them aware of how many dissatisfied customers they have.

All Pixels are unlocked, thats why the Fido sim worked. Also I doubt you can break contract because wifi calling or Volte doesn't work. I can maybe see if text messages or phone calls didn't work that you can break contract because Rogers isn't delivering service, but Volte and wifi calling are "bonuses" in my opinion. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

Its true. Rogers do NOT have the Pixel or Pixel XL listed to work with LTE or WiFi Calling for unlocked models. They must be locked to Rogers. Many seem to not see that. You can't break a contract due to that as you are still receiving the normal services you are PAYING for. Which is calling, data and texting. As you said, if it was calling or texting then yes but for WiFi Calling or VOLTE, it's not a service that is paid, it's added as a bonus as the phone features it but Rogers and many carriers choice to lock that feature if the device is not locked to Rogers.