cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

skip501
I plan to stick around

Does anyone have any information as to whether WiFi Calling and VoLTE will be supported on the Google Pixel? My Pixel is pretty much useless at home without these features. For a flagship, I am shocked that these features were not offered from the Pixel launch date.

***Edited Labels***

281 REPLIES 281

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @skip501

Unfortunately at this moment there is no word on when VOLTE or WiFi Calling will work on the Pixel devices. Stay tuned and any information I get, I'll post back.

Hi @skip501,

We currently do not have any information on if/when VoLTE and Wifi Calling will be added to Google Pixel. Once we have more information we'll update the Community! Please stay tuned 🙂

RogersZia

skip501
I plan to stick around

Thank you @RogersZia ...I am just thrilled right now to have this matter as its own discussion thread! That will keep me happy for a few more days while I wait patiently. Cat Very Happy

I'm looking forward to hearing if other community members with Pixels are as anxious for WiFi Calling and VoLTE as I am.

Cheers

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @skip501

My sister has a Pixel XL and is excited but not as much as its not something she will use much. She however wants VOLTE to come. Hopefully it comes soon!

I just read this article online. I guess it will take a while for VoLTE to come.

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-control-pixel-updates-isnt-great-everyone

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @fengxia

I read that too but I don't believe it will take that long as it took the S6 edge

ndy4eva
I plan to stick around

It is sad that VoLTE and Wifi Calling is not supported from Pixel Launch.  I just hope that Rogers act quickly to support it.  I have used VoLTE on S7E and Note7 and love the voice quality.  Pixel seems like step back on voice calls.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ndy4eva

Many flagship devices don't get that feature at launch. Weeks or months later they do. Even the iPhones as well.

I do agree they should have released it at launch but i guess they are still testing it out.

ndy4eva
I plan to stick around
@Meowmix,
Yeah, I do understand the certain technology requires more testing to validate full compatibility before rolling-out the feature. I did purchase my Pixel from Rogers and hoped/expected to see VoLTE supported right a way.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ndy4eva

Buying it from Google or a carrier it's the same thing. They are both carrier unlocked and the bootloader can be unlocked. So it's not any difference.

The issue is I believe they didn't have time to test it on the Rogers network thus they are doing it now.. Shouldn't be that far from coming out!

skip501
I plan to stick around

@fengxia thank you for that link, I had not seen that article.

I had escalated the matter of WiFi Calling and VoLTE not being available at launch to Roger's management. I spoke to no fewer than 3 Rogers employees. Not a single one said anything about waiting on an update from Google. All 3 of them said "Rogers has not decided yet whether to enable this feature". So, I am skeptical that it has anything to do with Google, although I do plan to create a support ticket with Google and ask (and provide them with the URL you posted).

Thank again.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @skip501

Google won't do much as its up to the carriers as you know to enable this on their side. The ticket most likely will stay open until Rogers does enable it or will close it later on saying the spoke to Rogers. I do wish Google had more input in this matter and have it enabled at launch but sadly it's upon the carriers as this is something the carriers must test well before enabling it towards the devices. Rogers will enable it but will take time as we seen before.

Rogers however as we know will take time to enable this. It took some flagship devices weeks to enable this feature. Only the iPhone 7 got it at launch as they knew how to work around the IOS due to the iPhone 6S updates and the Note 7 got ur a scoupledays later I believe but the Galaxy S6 edge got it months later. So reality I would just wait and see.

ndy4eva
I plan to stick around

Thanks @skip501.
I guess you have better answer than I got from Rogers. Call center agents were useless, didn't even know anything about VoLTE to begin.

This is FB message I got;
My apologies about no one getting back to you. VoLTE is available for the Pixel but it is not yet supported by Rogers, I don't have an eta as to when it will be. Once we have more info we will share it. - Mahmood

This reply was after about a week of no response. Previously the FB chat agent told me they'll check on it and get back to me. It would be good if Rogers can provide a clear reason of not supporting VoLTE or plans around it.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ndy4eva

Most reps over the phone aren't trained much and it's something we all have been asking to happen. A little more training..

As for Mahmood. He is a great agent. He does his work and will get back to someone if he gets more information. Since he hasn't gotten any information, he can't say much. So there isn't much to say on his end.

skip501
I plan to stick around

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 2.29.47 PM.png

Here is the response from Google. So confirmed, as @Meowmix replied, the ball is in Rogers' court.

Note the zero signal in the screen capture. Ugh.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @skip501

The image will be allowed to be viewed when it gets approved by the MOD.

As they said and i said, Rogers now has to enable it on their end. This can take days or even weeks or even months as we seen before. At this point no one knows and even Rogers management won't know unless they get a email from the development team that they will release it.

aciidburn
I've been here awhile

yeah i got the phone the day it was released, with every employee saying that it had wifi calling.

not until i get home and try to find it and having call in to tech support.   

then finally someone says it doesnt have it and wont for a long time.   It took them years to get wifi calling on android. 

i had to return the phone and get the samsung s7            kinda wished i got the moto z   looks like a sick phone.  

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @aciidburn

Sorry to hear! Unfortunately it's up to each carrier to enable this when they decide too for each device. It took Samsung Galaxy s6 edge to get it months later after release.

kalto
I'm here a lot
I hope no one is holding its breath over this. Rogers said exactly the same thing for the Nexus 6P over a year ago and VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling still aren't enabled for this device. Same for all the other carrier. I just can't understand why these features get enabled on Samsung and LG phone and not on the Nexus or Pixel which are supposed to be THE android phone.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @kalto

Most likely because the carriers and the manufactures have the agreements to enable them on those devices but not on the Nexusd line ( Pixel line now). You will not get the answer at all sadly.