cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

skip501
I plan to stick around

Does anyone have any information as to whether WiFi Calling and VoLTE will be supported on the Google Pixel? My Pixel is pretty much useless at home without these features. For a flagship, I am shocked that these features were not offered from the Pixel launch date.

***Edited Labels***

281 REPLIES 281

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

trimaican
I plan to stick around
Just checking to see if this was attempted and if it helped

Hey @msav999 & @trimaican,

I can definitely understand the importance of WiFi calling for customers in low reception areas, such as yourselves. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any news I can pass along at this time, however you can keep an eye on what's in the pipeline for Rogers in the future. Check out our OS Upgrade Schedule thread

BTW, welcome to the Community @msav999! I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but we'll be sure to update the Community with any further updates, once it's available.

Regards,

RogersCilio

So good news (sort of) is I got VoLTE working on my non-Rogers Pixel XL. The bad news is it only works for few minutes and then goes back to switching down to 3G when on a call.  I tried contacting Rogers to enable the feature on their end to try to get it working.   But phone kept falling back to 3G despite all settings "enhanced 4G calling"/etc all set the proper way. Then I contacted Rogers on the advise from a fellow member here to have them enable VoLTE on my account by adding my device IMEI to their systems. This didn't seem to change anything. IMS status in service menu kept saying "VoLTE unavailable". Then I got the idea of trying my SIM in a phone that has native support for VoLTE on Rogers - I had an iPhone 6S laying around and I tried that. Initially iPhone behaved just like my Pixel - phone kept falling back to 3G when incoming or outgoing call is in progress. Then I enabled Wi-Fi calling in the iPhone menu - after doing this, the  iPhone started staying on LTE when on a call! So I popped the sim back in the Pixel - and YES - VoLTE worked - IMS status said VoLTE enabled, I did few test calls - inbound and outbound - Pixel stayed on LTE at all times!! But my joy was short lived - few minutes later the phone started falling back to 3G when on call (no VoLTE). Rotating the SIM trough the iPhone seems to toggle the VoLTE, but it then gets de-provisioned shortly after 😞 My guess my IMEI isn't on the authorized VoLTE list at Rogers.

Nerds2You
I plan to stick around

Buying your phone from Wireless Wave and buying it directly from Google are two different things. Wireless Wave sells phones on all carriers, when you buy a Pixel from them they have devices specifically marked for Rogers and is in their IMEI database, mine has a red sticker on the box, they also have ones specifically for all the other carriers they represent. Best buy and other retailers in Canada do the exact same thing, they arent selling you a Google Store version of the phone. Buying a Pixel from the Play store is different because the IMEI is not in any carriers database

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

And the question remains, why should it make any difference where you buy it?  I bought my Nexus 1 from Google and had no problems using it on Rogers.  Why should it be any different with the Pixel.  While it may not be in the database when purchased, it should be once it's put in service.  This smells like an unwarranted restriction to me.

Does the same happen with Bell, Telus etc.?

@Nerds2You wrote:

Buying your phone from Wireless Wave and buying it directly from Google are two different things. Wireless Wave sells phones on all carriers, when you buy a Pixel from them they have devices specifically marked for Rogers and is in their IMEI database, mine has a red sticker on the box, they also have ones specifically for all the other carriers they represent. Best buy and other retailers in Canada do the exact same thing, they arent selling you a Google Store version of the phone. Buying a Pixel from the Play store is different because the IMEI is not in any carriers database

trimaican
I plan to stick around

Agreed its one of those things that made more sense in the past because would have different SKUs for different carriers etc but now with the hardware being the same it doesn't make as much sense.  Especially for devices like a Pixel or an unlocked iPhone.

hopefully this will be something that is reconsidered in the future,  otherwise we just have to make due unfortunately.

I am interested to see if the other Canadian carriers do this, I know there are US and European carriers that don't and it is something I am observing to help make a decision on where I buy the next Pixel (that and I had a terrible experience with getting a repair on my pixel but thats a whole different topic).

Kenjuta
I've been here awhile

agreed as well

I made a big rant about it on Fido forums

going to submit a complaint to CCTS and see if there's anything they can do since CRTC is making it so that all phones sold are unlock and blocking out features based on where phone are bought phone makes it a bit counter intuitive 

the software and hardware is the same as the ones rogers/fido are selling so it supports it but they're just denying VoLTE to device not from them

doesn't really make sense as well since VoLTE is more efficient so it puts less strain on their network as well

also they're not blocking voice calls made on 3G network so why would they block VoLTE for no valid reason?

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@Kenjuta

I filed that very same concern in June to CCTC - they advised I forward to CRTC as it currently is for them to consider as it has not been implemented yet (the unlock topic).

They did forward my original email to CCTC to Rogers though.

Here is the contact information:

You may wish to contact CRTC at 1-877-249-2782, option 3, as they may be able to assist you with this matter. 

I think this has to be raised - we have already seen increase in activation fee, roam like home, local data costs (not those restricted under roaming) occur, and this ongoing practice of restricting access to services in our phones to only those sold through Rogers - they could still keep doing that.  

Required unlocked phones won't mean that they have to provide services on any phone and I expect they will do it only if they are forced, and I suspect we will be seeing a charge to get our IMEI switched over - almost needs to be like porting - some services do it for free, others don't - no restriction on cost, it just has to happen.

Keep pushing on this one proactively, and trying to get CRTC to recognize that this is another practice that is restricting our ease in movement from company to company, which is the whole mandate around the removed 30 day notice, excessive termination fees (not talking about paying out a tab), and now the removal of locking - CRTC will need to consider how ISP's are going to respond to unlocking and hopefully not allow them to expand this already current practice around unlocked phones bought from manufacturer.

We pay an activation fee and for the SIM card, why are they not turning on all feature sets (good question for CRTC to consider).

Bruce

SWade
I plan to stick around
I don't care anymore!!!
I complained loud and long enough that they are finally giving me a new phone. I am getting a new Galaxy S8+. I was promised that wifi calling and VoLTE would work. Let's hope there are no issues with this phone.

Kenjuta
I've been here awhile

yeah very dumb and CRTC should definitely look into

so what if you decide to move to another carrier later and they use the same practice but you want to keep your current phone and not buy a new one. You won't get access to VoLTE and wifi calling on their network

or say you send your phone back to the manufacturer for repair and they send you a new one because it can't be fixed. Rogers won't have the new IMEI so you're out of luck trying to get back on their VoLTE and wifi calling

or say a few years later you want to get a new phone but Rogers decide to sell the phone for $200 more than what getting it from another store. if you buy it there then you don't get VoLTE or wifi calling so you're essentially paying $200 extra for a feature the phone already has and support on their network but just because you got it from someone else you lose out on some included network features

msav999
I plan to stick around

Google now has a 2nd generation of Pixel phones...will this make Rogers actually support WiFi calling for the Pixel line?? 

Eliah
I've been here awhile

Based on the technical specifications listed for the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL on the Rogers website, it appears that WiFi calling will not be supported:

Connectivity

Wi-Fi Calling

No

VoLTE Support

Yes

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @msav999

I don't think they will be enabled to work on WiFi Calling with Rogers.

msav999
I plan to stick around
#sad

Do you want to bet Google store purchased devices will not support even VoLTE?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ivanpetrov

Most likely won't unless somehow Level 2 techs are able to add the IMEI number and force it to work.

Nerds2You
I plan to stick around
I recently had my Pixel XL replaced by Google. I called Rogers about my VoLTE not working, they went through everything (except resetting my line) and they couldn't get it to work after adding the IMEI. I eventually reached an agent who was very sympathetic because he really liked smart phones. The agent contacted a manager and arranged to have my phone exchanged under warranty for one (refurbished, which is perfectly fine) that was in their system. I received the phone and still had no VoLTE. I called again, they reset the line and then it immediately started working.

I suggest if you have a warranty issue with your Pixel call Rogers instead of Google for the warranty and arrange for an advance exchange.

Kenjuta
I've been here awhile

wonder if it's the rogers device that did it for you or the line reset

Also for Pixel 2, on Fido's forum the mention it will have VoLTE support and WiFi support will be planned for it but yeah probably need to get the phone from Rogers/Fido 

Nerds2You
I plan to stick around
This could be good news for ViLTE video calls, a little pressure on the carriers from Google, or it could just mean we have to use Duo.

Making video calling easier on your Android phone

https://www.blog.google/products/duo/making-video-calling-easier-your-android-phone/

msav999
I plan to stick around

Can someone at Rogers please explain to me why Rogers will not give the 1st generation Google Pixel WiFi calling? I see that it is coming out for the Google Pixel 2 line.

It can not be that the 1st generation can't manage WiFi calling, as friends on other networks have it on their 1st generation Pixel's. You support older iPhones (iPhone 5c, 5s, 6 or 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus) , Samsung (Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, S7, S7 edge) and LG Phones (G4, G5) with WiFi calling, so why not the 1st generation Pixel?

The Pixel line is suppose to be a flagship device for Google, the networks should fully support the entire line with flagship attributes.

Please help me understand? 

The only reason I can think of why Rogers won't support Google Pixel and Pixel XL wifi calling is that there are very few people buying these phones in comparison with Apple/Samsung/LG and Rogers doesn't want to do the testing and support.  However, if Rogers starts supporting Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, then I really hope Rogers can also support 1st generation Pixel and XL.