WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FoleyRose
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Also, please remember that VoLTE is only supported on Pixel and Pixel XL devices purchased from Rogers. Devices purchased elsewhere are not supported.

Any specific reason besides giving us the middle finger for not giving you even more money?

JoshuaAustin
I Plan to Stick Around

This really bothers me as well. VOLTE works fine on devices purchased outright off contact at the Apple store. Why is the Pixel so different?

Rogers wasn't able to deliver any 128GB Pixel XLs for a long time (still cant last I looked). Direct from Google was the only way to go...
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @JoshuaAustin

Most likely it's due to th agreements with Google on selling the devices to Rogers and Rogers doing it.

I remember when everyone tried to find the 128 Pixel XL at launch and later in and could not find it yet some got it. Weird eh.
samin
I've Been Here Awhile

You don't have to directly buy your phone from the Rogers store. You could get it locked to Rogers from their 3rd party vendors like Wirelesswave, etc. That's where I bought my Google Pixel XL 128GB in Dec 2016 where almost no Rogers store could get their hands on it.
I see HD icon now when I make calls, so I assume my VoLTE is working now.
I also found 3rd party resellers giving out better deals compare to Rogers store.
alanina
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDarrell

I have gotten NKG47L OTA after Rogers approved it but VoLTE (even if it looks like it's enabled in the Settings) doesn't work for me on my Pixel XL that I bought from Google.

Is that correct? You are enabling this feature ONLY to the Rogers customers that specifically bought it from Rogers.

If that is the case I think this is a disappointing decision for the company you are representing and I will probably start looking to take my money somewhere else.

I can't even imagine your Marketing department would even think that way. 

Please let me know if by any chance my understanding is incorrect and this feature is supposed to work for all Pixel XL phones running on you LTE network.

Thanks!

SWade
I Plan to Stick Around

I purchased my phone from Best Buy​ locked to Rogers and I have the Enhanced 4G LTE Mode enabled but I don't see any HAD icon when I make calls. Does this mean I am out of luck?

alanina
I Plan to Stick Around

What do you mean by locking your phone to Rogers? How is that done? Aren't all Pixel phones unlocked?
SWade
I Plan to Stick Around

If you buy in Canada through a carrier plan the phone is locked to that carrier. Even after you pay for the phone completely at the end of your term, you still have to pay on average,$50, to get the carrier to unlock the phone so that you can sell it as unlocked.
Mythen
I Plan to Stick Around

From what I have learned none of the pixel phones are locked to the carrier. A simple sim card change at the end of your term to another provider is all that is needed should you desire to do so

alanina
I Plan to Stick Around

Really? Have you seen a Pixel phone that would not work with a SIM from another carrier other than the one that sold you the phone? To be honest I'm shocked to hear that.