cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

skip501
I plan to stick around

Does anyone have any information as to whether WiFi Calling and VoLTE will be supported on the Google Pixel? My Pixel is pretty much useless at home without these features. For a flagship, I am shocked that these features were not offered from the Pixel launch date.

***Edited Labels***

281 REPLIES 281

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Elmajian
I've been here awhile

Yes, I had that same issue. To resolve it I disabled Enhanced 4G LTE Mode. When the next software update comes, seems like Rogers says the Pixel will support this. I will turn it on at that time and see if the problem is resolved.

bbry6420
I've been here awhile

nice, disabling Enhanced 4G LTE Mode seems to have worked.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

UPDATE

We have confirmed that the regulatory approval was obtained and the Google Pixel & Pixel XL update was released June 8th 2017 for download from Google, while the OTA update will be released June 12th 2017.

Anyone downloading directly from Google; make sure you download version: NKG47L

See the OS Upgrades Page for all new updates.

Also, please remember that VoLTE is only supported on Pixel and Pixel XL devices purchased from Rogers. Devices purchased elsewhere are not supported.

Thanks,

RogersDarrell

Mythen
I plan to stick around

@RogersDarrell

Thanks for the update.  Still not seeing any update on my end though

Mythen

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Mythen

" while the OTA update will be released June 12th 2017."

I guess that was added after the original post was made.

Mythen
I plan to stick around

@Meowmix

Thanks for the clarification.  I look forward to the update

Mythen

Bcsc
I plan to stick around
The OTA was released by Google on June 5th and can be downloaded and installed via ADB from the Google OTA images page. It has very clear instructions and can be done in about 5 minutes if you don't want to wait.

Bcsc
I plan to stick around
https://developers.google.com/android/ota
For the Pixel XL, you want the Marlin image.
For the small Pixel you want Sailfish.

Bcsc
I plan to stick around
The OTAs we're actually released June 5th.

alanina
I plan to stick around

Why have the "Available Now" status for the Pixels OS update on June 9th, when you also say it will be released on June 12th? Does that make sense and is it good as a customer service strategy? Why not say available on June 12th? Maybe I don't see something...

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around

I sideloaded the June update and VoLTE still isn't working for me. Is there a way to verify with certainty if the feature is on? Right now it still falls back to 3G when placing a call.

alanina
I plan to stick around
Make sure your calling party has VoLTE enabled as well...otherwise it will go back to traditional calling technology.

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around

I thought that my phone would stay on LTE during a call even if the other party didn't have VoLTE on his device, am I wrong?

I know the sound quality won't be better, but my phone should stay on LTE, right?

jase036
I've been here awhile

That's correct, your VoLTE connection to Rogers does not depend on who you are calling, although the audio quality possible will be dependent on both endpoint devices.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

That's my understanding too.  VoLTE is essentially VoIP and like any other VoIP, if the other end doesn't support it, their end of the connection is still a traditional call, but your end should still be VoLTE as far as Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @FoleyRose

My G4, S7 edge ( before I sold it) and my current a S8 Plus work with VOLTE even if the other person doesn't have VOLTE on or have it into their phone.

Calling my dads 9900 Bold, my moms iPhone 6 and my sisters Priv which all don't have VOLTE and not enabled, still shows LTE on mine during a call. Also the speeds are the same. I noticed this after running a few tests to see.

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around

Well, that confirms that VoLTE still isn't working for me.

alanina
I plan to stick around

Sorry guys for introducing noise in here...I thought based on what I read that VoLTE would require both parties to support it. Thanks for correcting that assumption...and since I can't test the feature myself due to Rogers not really updating my Pixel and/or the current VoLTE support they have for my phone I'll have to wait.

RogersDarrell

UPDATE

For anyone who has not received the OTA update; please be advised that Google is rolling out in stages. Currently at 50%, it is expected to be 100% released starting tomorrow.

If you choose to download directly from Google; make sure you download version: NKG47L

Also, please remember that VoLTE is only supported on Pixel and Pixel XL devices purchased from Rogers. Devices purchased elsewhere are not supported.

Thanks,

RogersDarrell

Mythen
I plan to stick around
@RogersDarrell

Received the update yesterday.

Is WiFi calling susposed to work now? If so how do we use it?

Mythen

ndy4eva
I plan to stick around

@RogersDarrell

I have Pixel XL from Rogers.  VoLTE works fine, but how do I make use of WiFi Calling feature?

Thanks!