cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

skip501
I plan to stick around

Does anyone have any information as to whether WiFi Calling and VoLTE will be supported on the Google Pixel? My Pixel is pretty much useless at home without these features. For a flagship, I am shocked that these features were not offered from the Pixel launch date.

***Edited Labels***

281 REPLIES 281

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Itsdavef
I plan to stick around
Just tested this again. Confirmed mine is working lte stays when I make any call now. Think it was just Rogers slowly provisioning on their end.

trimaican
I plan to stick around
Itsdavef
Can you go on wifi and try calling your phone, see if it goes through?

Itsdavef
I plan to stick around
Guessing you are testing the wifi calling. It isnt provisioned in the hidden phone menu. I put my phone in airplane mode and turn wifi on. The call goes straight to voice mail.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

Ummm...  If you put the phone in Airplane Mode, then it's disconnected from everything, including WiFi.  This means it's incapable of making or receiving calls entirely.

trimaican
I plan to stick around
Actually i have an issue where calls don't come in when I have WiFi and VoLTE enabled. Rogers hasn't figured out the problem other than to turn VoLTE off (but they also say it's due to the fact that my phone doesn't have that feature)

Can you try again with VoLTE enabled?

Itsdavef
I plan to stick around
I had wifi on with airplane mode. If I don't have airplane mode on then it doesn't really test wifi calling as it will just works through the carrier.

I haven't had issues with volte and wifi being on at the same time as I've had a few calls this morning and no issues sending or receiving.

gtehdan
I plan to stick around
Try going into a basement or something where you have no cell signal but have a wifi connection.

Test it that way. Airplane mode turns everything off

JKnott

Airplane Mode means *ALL* RF is turned off, in order to avoid interfering with aircraft systems.  What happens if you try a browser, for example, while on Airplane Mode?  Can't connect?  Thought so.

trimaican
I plan to stick around
K so it's just me. It's almost as if wifi calling is trying to kick in but then I don't have the service but only when enhanced 4g late service is on.

Turning it off helps but that's not the fix I'm looking for. Will try them again.

Itsdavef
I plan to stick around
I have cell signal in my basement. You can override wifi on airplane mode. Why do you think planes offer wifi?

I recommend you try it. Turn airplane mode on then turn you wifi back on.

trimaican
I plan to stick around
I think he was looking into wifi calling which sorry @gtehdan won't work. As it's not provisioned (it was in beta 1) and you still have to then input info to Rogers before it's enabled like they do on Samsung and iPhones

Mythen
I plan to stick around
What's the purpose of wifi calling anyways. If you have good cell service who cares lol

JKnott

Well, I don't have good cell service at home.  Also, many buildings have poor cell service when you get away from the windows.  Of course, if you're travelling, you can use your phone, without paying for roaming.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
Ah okay. That's very useful

kalto
I'm here a lot
Airplane disable all RF. Then you can re-enable wifi and bluetooth manually (at least, it is possible on the pixel).

I spent a month in Vietnam in airplane mode to avoid roaming charge (no roam like home over there) and I could use wifi wherever I got access to a wifi signal. Bluetooth was also working with my Pebble smartwatch the whole month.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @kalto

That is correct. You can do that with all smartphones. If u change it to Airplane mode, all RF as u said turn off but u can turn on Bluetooth and WiFi ur self without turning off Airplane mode.

Yoni1
I'm here a lot

So, I've got the update and when I'm getting a call the network automatically drops to 3G/HSPA. Anyone know what's going on?

Also, am I right to assume that Rogers *still* hasn't turned on wifi calling on this model with this update?

fred471
I'm here a lot

Is your Pixel from another carrier/from Google? If so, as an agent told me, VOLTE won't ever work. It's been 2 weeks that I made the update and it still drops to 3G/HSPA when I call. Can't wait to switch carriers, beyond fed up with Rogers.

Yoni1
I'm here a lot
Nope! Mine's straight from Rogers. =/

fred471
I'm here a lot

Then call and ask them to add your IMEI to their database so that your phone gets VoLTE enabled.

jefflessard
I plan to stick around

Just to chime in.  I got my Pixel XL from Kijiji as an unlocked phone.  Maybe it is, maybe not, but all I know is that since the last

regards,