cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

skip501
I plan to stick around

Does anyone have any information as to whether WiFi Calling and VoLTE will be supported on the Google Pixel? My Pixel is pretty much useless at home without these features. For a flagship, I am shocked that these features were not offered from the Pixel launch date.

***Edited Labels***

281 REPLIES 281

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE for Google Pixel

Penguin88
I've been here awhile

When will the Google pixel receive support for WiFi calling? This is an important feature that should get pushed out to users.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Penguin88

Unfortunately that answer is not here yet. Hopefully it comes out soon.

Penguin88
I've been here awhile
Whoops, accidentally posted twice

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Penguin88

No worries :).

aciidburn
I've been here awhile

how do i stop the email notifications on this thread? I WANT OUT 😛

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @aciidburn

Go into My Settings via your profile / Subscription Notification and change it from there :).

Penguin88
I've been here awhile
There's no getting out this early, not until we have WiFi calling!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Penguin88

The user is asking to turn off notifications towards the thread. The user may not want emails being sent to them notifying them of others posting. That's what the user is asking.

samin
I've been here awhile

It has already been a couple of months since the release of Google Pixel on Rogers network.  Other phones like iPhone, LG and Samsung have already WiFi calling integrated within Rogers network.

Does Rogers have plans to enable Google Pixel's WiFi calling feature?  I see this feature is available already over US carriers on Pixel phones.

Is this something Google needs to get involved or is it completly in Roger's hands?

ndy4eva
I plan to stick around
I believe it's more up to Rogers than Google. When I was in US, Tmobile (who does not sell pixel phones) supported VoLTE without any issue. The voice quality was so much better.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @samin

Unfortunately there is no information as of yet when or if Rogers will release that for us.

Its up to both Google and Rogers to release this as Rogers must request Google to activate it on their site and then Rogers does it on there's. I do believe this is something going on with carriers though.

VinayBhat
I've been here awhile

I just updated my Pixel XL with latest beta 7.12 software and got both wifi and VoLTE settings. I tried to enable wifi calling, i got error message to contact Rogers. I called and got told that these features are not allowed on Pixel phones. Reason being unlocked phone. I thought I share with you.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @VinayBhat

That is correct. That's the same way with Samsung devices as well. Only branded Rogers devices will work.

VinayBhat
I've been here awhile

If that is case, then very bad business practice. it is not my fault if Google is selling unlocked phones. I bought it from Rogers store and there was no disclailer written in bold lettes or the sales guy telling customers that WiFi calling and VoLTE will not work on Google Phone. Now Rogers tech support guy is telling Google support guy to add IMEI number to Rogers data base as work around. Obviously not a clear picture from both parties. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @VinayBhat

Adding the IMEI number and activating it on their end should do the trick. But then again there is so many things no one knows

VinayBhat
I've been here awhile

Adding IMEI did not help. Senior manager from Rogers called me and I got the sense during our conversation that this feaute will not be implement in foreseeable future. It is a business decision not to implement. What i understood is that Rogers have to adjust their network architect to incorporate Goodle phone hardware and they will not take this step unless millions of Google phones are sold. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE IF WIFI CALLING IS IMPORTANT TO YOU.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @VinayBhat

Its the same with Bell and Telus. My buddy with a Pixel XL got from Google and he is having the same issue with Bell. Left Bell and went to Telus and exact same thing is happening.

I think it's a feature that carriers don't want to implement unless you buy it from the carriers.

VinayBhat
I've been here awhile

I bought the phone from Rogers store and all phones in past i bought from Bell or Rogers were unlocked (I never bought a Google phone before).  But Google phone came unlocked worldwide. I think Google channel manager for Canada didn't negotiate well with Canadian carriers; reason being Google's phone market standing is not that great as comare to Apple & Samsung. Google couldn't put forward their condition viz a viz this feature. Where as in the US, T Mobile and Verizom implemented these features out of the box.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @VinayBhat

Actually Rogers and Bell sell locked phones to their customers but require you to pay $50 to unlock a phone unless it's a really old phone and it's been unlocked an used. A new phone had these reals. All the Nexus device came factory unlocked by Google.

Yes that is correct. It seems to be something between them two. They do this with all devices other then the iPhone ones.

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor
I have an unlocked, bought from Amazon.ca, device with VoLTE enabled on Rogers.

RNEric
I plan to stick around
So your VOLTE is working on Rogers?

There is also a new firmware for the Pixel specifically for Rogers.