Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

Hello @doomfrawen,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you posting your concern in the Community, I know how important Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE features are. 

BestBuy Mobile is a Rogers Authorized Dealer so if you were to get a Rogers branded device from there you should not have any issues with Wi-Fi Calling or VoLTE as those features would have been thoroughly tested on our network beforehand. If you were to buy the device outright from another provider or from Samsung directly we really can't guarantee that Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE will work.

I hope this helps you in your decision!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogerstony.....you said 'have been thoroughly tested on our network' common.....if i buy from samsung canada tell me the difference between 'your' phone and the one from samsung for example?? Im gonna told you this difference and the truth in sametime...

The difference....they're is absolutely no difference between your phone and the one from samsung since you buy them from samsung...

The true is that rogers/fido have a rolling eyes system that check if your phone are registered....the one from rogers is registered with his imei and the one from samsung is not registered....have deal with this last years....when asking to register a phone bough from samsung you simply are not authorised to do it....basically you are punishing by blocking those who bough their phone from samsung....guy...i have been with many provider and so far fido/rogers are the only one who block these feature...all other i have been just dont care about it...worst when telling them this fact they even laugh about it...
So for those who want these feature...dont waist your time...just change provider or try another one and you will have all these feature...its only a rogers/fido thing.....dont bother
I've Been Here Awhile

@zxa, Bell and Telus both have a similar restriction - I have been on the phone with them for a while to get an answer, as I am ready to move off of Rogers because of this issue. 

Freedom does not have this restriction, which is where I very well may end up. Rogers jacked my plan for an extra $5, but my service has declined. The fact I've been with them for over 20 years means nothing. 

I live and work in Toronto. My reception is poor in my apartment. WiFi Calling solves for this, but instead, Rogers would have me buy a booster for $500. LOL.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes I agree, I am just waiting to have time and will switch to Freedom. Why pay more and not get the service I need. My Note9 bought from Samsung Canada why would any carrier restrict it from using wifi calling.
I've Been Here Awhile

I've Been Here Awhile

@zxa Good to know. interesting that a telus rep on their chat said otherwise regarding my galaxy s9+ purchased from samsung. 

The telus also did mention that certain phone models (purchased elsewhere) were supported for wifi calling, ad more were being added to the list - however the s9+ was not among them.  I guess it's "caveat emptor" for everyone!

I've Been Here Awhile

I had a non Rogers Galaxy S7. Wifi calling was not available. Same with my new Galaxy S10. I don't believe that Rogers sells different Samsung phones from Samsung or any other seller. They simply want you to buy phones from them. Blocking this feature without reducing the cost of my plan seems highly inappropriate.
I've complained to the CRTC. I'll update my post once I get a response from them.
I've Been Here Awhile

After my complaint to the CRTC, a technician called me from Rogers. Now my S10 works beautifully with wifi calling.
I've Been Around

I guess i will be contacting the CRTC as well.

I'm Here A Lot

Can you post a template of the letter you sent to the CRTC please.