cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

revhappy
I plan to stick around

Now that we are well into December of 2017, I just wanted to reiterate that locked phones are a thing of the past (well, 4 days in the past).

I'm extremely hopeful Rogers will make it a priority to look after their subscribers who use unlocked Android devices with Wi-Fi and VoLTE capabilities. For someone like me who works in an office that provides 1-2 bars of EDGE on a consistent daily basis, having Wi-Fi calling would be completely liberating.

Who else is in this same boat as me? 

***Added Labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Wi-fi calling on unlocked Android devices

kojicb
I've been around
You are not missing out on much, their wifi calling is next to useless. Even when set up, it will not automatically switch to wifi when cell signal is lost.

rudedude
I've been here awhile
My wifi calling works well. At the cottage, I don't have cell reception. It automatically switches to wifi mode for me. Maybe you use different settings. I have it set to preferentially use wifi for calls. It only switches to network when I'm out of wifi range. This also seems to improve battery life.

zxa
I'm here a lot

change your provider.....all other will give you these feature...the only thing be sure you have a canadians phone or canadians rom on it....

EnIXmA123
I've been here awhile

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_11_ultra-ampp-10737.php

I am getting this beast soon. Rogers please unblock wifi calling and volte for this device.
Good boy

Thanks

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor

They will not work, either will 5G. The device is not officially supported by Rogers.

EnIXmA123
I've been here awhile
Wrong. I got axon 20 from China and 5g works on it

GibMcFragger
I'm a reliable contributor
Limited to one band (n41).

I'm looking to buy a Samsung S21 Ultra with 256Gb. As far as I can tell, Rogers only sells the 128Gb option. 

I could look at buying an unlocked phone directly from Samsung, but I know for a fact that this will lock me out of VoLTE and Wifi calling as Rogers only allows device bought through them to access these features (eh, CRTC, so much for forcing carrier to sell unlocked phone!).

So, other than switching carrier, what are my options?

bazzz1
I've been around
I have the same issue but with an unlocked Samsung s21 ultra 512gb international version. I have an open ticket and have escalated the issue with Rogers. Ill let you know what comes of it but as of now I have no access to 5G towers (despite having a 5G plan and a 5G phone) and no access to wifi calling which I really need as I have 0 reception at home.

Have you had any luck? If it doesn't get resolved for me, I may have to switch carriers.

charitha19
I plan to stick around

I have the same issue, but my phone is a but more obscure, its a sony xperia xz premium from 2017, rogers should either fix the signal issues, or give us wifi calling. its insane that its 2021 and i get 0 bars in a condo, in toronto !

kalto
I'm here a lot

Just a quick update about this issue as every google search seems to end here. I just bought a S22 Ultra unlocked from Amazon. Popped my Rogers SIM card in it before first boot, setup the phone. After that, I validated the CSC Region code used (Settings, About Phone, Software Information, look under Service provider software version for "RWC", this means you're on Rogers region code). 
After that, nothing else. It just worked. VoLTE and Wifi Calling both works out of the box!
If your CSC region code is something, Google around, there are way to change it. But note that it seems that this will factory reset your phone, so use with caution!

Klotar
I plan to stick around

I also bought a Z Flip 3 directly from Samsung this time (I usually get my devices through Rogers but this time I wanted to have an unsubsidized device), and it too worked out of the box (VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling, 5G [after switching to a Infinite Plan).

Klotar
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G | Android 12
Topic Stats