What to do with a Sprint CDMA cellphone in Canada?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

What to do with a Sprint CDMA cellphone in Canada?

I purchased an HTC EVO 3d phone recently from the U.S and is CDMA locked to the Sprint network I believe(no SIM card).

Since Rogers acquired Sprint Canada in 2005, are they able to activate this phone?  I was reading that CDMA phones can be switched to another carrier with the cooperation of both the old and new carriers.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What to do with a Sprint CDMA cellphone in Canada?

sprint only provides cell phone (wireless) service in united states

Rogers purchased Sprint CANADA, but Sprint USA is still a serperate entity.  the Sprint that Rogers purchased was home phone and long distance, has nothing to do with wireless or mobile telephones. 

Your sprint cdma phone is locked to sprint usa, and can only be used on sprint usa or what ever company is the parent company of sprint, for example i think it might be called Next Tel?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SprintCDMA

Unfortunately even tho Rogers bought Sprint in 2005, Rogers does NOT support any CDMA ( No Sim Card) devices. Rogers only supports devices which have a sim card slot and are GSM devices .

At this point there isn't anything u or Rogers can do. They device won't work on Rogers at all unfortunately. 😞

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, I noticed Rogers wasnt in the list of Sprint international carriers, 

Does this list mean carriers(in Canada) that can activate my phone or just for roaming coverage??

http://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html#c

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

sprint only provides cell phone (wireless) service in united states

Rogers purchased Sprint CANADA, but Sprint USA is still a serperate entity.  the Sprint that Rogers purchased was home phone and long distance, has nothing to do with wireless or mobile telephones. 

Your sprint cdma phone is locked to sprint usa, and can only be used on sprint usa or what ever company is the parent company of sprint, for example i think it might be called Next Tel?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, so almost no chance of being able to activate this phone with any carrier in Canada?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SprintCDMA Unfortunately as we said it won't work on Rogers or any Canadian carriers as they don't use CDMA networks anymore and this is a locked Sprint CDMA phone.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

CDMA Roaming in Nova Scotia for Sprint customer?

Hi,

Twice a year I visit my family in Nova Scotia and use an LG LX370 (you can stop laughing now) that I continue to use with Sprint's network in the U.S. As of December 2016 it worked fine roaming in Nova Scotia for voice and SMS. (I don't care about data when I travel.) This despite Sprint's international department telling me for a couple years now that the network provider they partner with in Canada (which I believe is Rogers) no longer supports CDMA. A Rogers rep. was kind enough to talk to me too, despite my not being a customer or resident. She also believed that CDMA was gone as of summer 2016. I can't find any info online to suggest that Rogers still has towers that support CDMA, yet my phone keeps working when I go up there.

My question is, does anyone have any unofficial but accurate information about what's going on and how long I can expect it to continue? I have a trip in July and I'd like to delay getting a Smartphone for at least a few more months after that if possible. (I'm looking into some alternate OSes like Replicant, LineageOS, CopperheadOS, SailfishOS, etc. but getting up to speed with these and smartphones in general is a slow process for me.)

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If there is any info I would have to add about this, Rogers is not a CDMA Provider, so if you are having trouble roaming on CDMA in Canada, you might want to look into Bell or Telus which is the CDMA provider for Canada.  But I do have to warn you, I have been reading articles about both Bell and Telus are slowly shutting down their 2G CDMA network, so I would not be surprised if they have already started decomissioning it in those parts of Canada.  Unfortunately that's all the information I can give you, and you are better off checking online with those companies and contacting them about roaming because this kind of question has nothing to do with Rogers, but you are lucky that I am a former RF Network Analyst and have experience and a broad knowledge about this type of question/senario.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@expat_in_boston

As Pauly stated, CDMA was run by Telus and Bell, Rogers is GSM/HSPA/LTE. However I found this article, Telus has already shut down CDMA, and Bell has in a few parts of Canada:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/01/24/telus-and-bell-will-shutdown-their-cdma-networks-on-january-31st/

I would suggest buying a used/cheap basic HSPA or LTE phone and getting a pre paid sim card to use when you're in Canada.

Bell and Telus only offer HSPA and LTE, Rogers has GSM, HSPA, and LTE. My iPhone 6s still drops down to GPRS in certain areas on Rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks to both of you. I guess I was mixed up by Rogers being Sprint's current roaming partner for their newer phones. At any rate my problem solved itself. A friend gave me a t-mobile phone (Samsung On5) with a sim she'd never activated. Signed up with them yesterday, so I should be all set. They have a plan that lets you freely roam in Canada and Mexico, at least for voice and SMS (maybe some data too but their contract has some odd stipulations about data roaming in general).

Now I just have to figure out what I can do about Android. It's not horrible, but it still has the feel of a computer controlled by someone else (or someones, namely t-mobile, samsung and google). Replicant won't work on this model yet and may never handle the wifi chip, but maybe LineageOS (community fork of defunct CyanagenOS) would improve matters. What I really think might be good from the sounds of it would be SailfishOS, but I'm guessing that's near on impossible, at least with my humble programming skills.