What does Samsung S5 Network Operators mean?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: What does Samsung S5 Network Operators mean?

Hello Smartwine

Exactly that's how it works
I Plan to Stick Around

@crescendo97 wrote:

That's a good question. I'm curios to know.

My main reason for asking is that when I'm out at my cottage, I do not get a good Rogers signal. However, the Bell network seems to be good out there. I am wondering what settings, or options I can play around with to perhaps get a more solid connection out there.

I'm pretty sure that Rogers and Bellus have no roaming agreement between each other, thus you won't be able to connect to Bellus towers via Rogers SIMs.

95% of the time the network selection wouldn't matter to most customers most of the time - just leave that on Automatic.  I'll provide an example where it does matter:  if you are close to the Canada-US border, you maybe connecting to AT&T or T-Mo towers even if you are at the Canadian side of the border, because their signals maybe stronger at your current location and your phone tends to connect to the stronger of the two signals.  In that case, you may want to manually select Rogers as your preferred network to avoid connecting to American towers and resulting in roaming charges.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rgl168

Rogers and Bellus have no roaming the agreements. They never made them. So even if you set it to Bell or Telus, it wont work as i explained on page 1.

Like you said, if your close to Canada-US border most of the times you will get ATT but make sure your roaming is off as you will be charged roaming if you get those carriers.
I Plan to Stick Around

Your roaming setting suggestion resolves the problem for data (in most cases, this setting is off by default), but not for voice and text.  If the phone rings, and you answer it while connecting to AT&T's network (how many times do people actually review their connecting networks before answering the call, particular when you are standing on the right side of the border?), you'll get charge for roaming minutes.  Same goes for texting. 

If you want to be certain that you are connecting to Rogers towers near the border, you'll need to manually select the Rogers network in the mobile network setting.  Merely turning off roaming is not sufficient.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rgl168

That is correct but then again some phones do have warnings that you are on another carriers tower. I got this warning with my Note 3 on Niagara falls and with my BlackBerry Z30 as well.

I would suggest the same as you said, manually check Rogers as your carrier.
I Plan to Stick Around

I believe those "warnings" are text messages that get sent out by carriers ("Welcome to USA!").  However, it is not a standard (at the GSM network level) to provide clear warning that your phone has connected to a foreign network.  You may see a little "R" back in the old days of Nokia bar phones, but that's pretty much it.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rgl168

Thw Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and BlackBerry Z30 both showed me the "R" on the top for roaming and said i am about to roam right after the text message came in. So some device DO indeed show that ur roaming meanwhile others don't.

Yes the text message says " Welcome to USA" so i sure you will know automatically you are roaming after you read that message. 

Let's get back ontop here please as this is for the Canadian carriers listed on the Settings section.  Thanks  

I've Been Around

Good Day

I am Stan

A few weeks ago I bought Samsung  S5 an S4. Before transaction, was looking to internet to learn has this phones are good. In internet, get information that S5 has: “compass”, “magnetometer”, “gyroscope” etc. All are located in “sensors”.

I cannot find sensor as well can do not have all this elements describing above in phone.

Will ask help how to solve my problems.

(Stanislaw Augustynowicz)

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello StanDyo

When they mention " Sensors" it means the S5 has those sensors inside the device. Ita built into the motherboard or added onto it.
Rogers Employee EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee

Actually recently rogers changed this, they do allow you to connect to AT&T towers if you live close to the border and you will not be charged any roaming fees at all. I read about it the other day, they were having alot of people with this issue so even if you don't live normally near the US border and you see at&t and are roaming now, they do not charge you for the time on AT&T i believe both carriers finally got together and made an agreement to allow anyone near the US border to roam on AT&T while still in canada without roaming charges. Also our american friends suffered from the same problem.

I believe its a great step forward to keep rogers customers happy Smiley Happy