What does Samsung S5 Network Operators mean?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

What does Samsung S5 Network Operators mean?

I just got the Samsung S5. This is my first Android device. Under Mobile Networks, in my settings, there is a Network operators option. Upon selecting that, it scans and presents me with the following list: Search networks (scan for all available networks), Select automatically (automatically select preferred network), and then a list of providers - Bell, Telus, Rogers, Wind. If I select a provider like Bell, it makes an attempt to register me on the network but usually says it fails. What are these options for? Would I even be able to select another provider if I'm registered with Rogers?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: What does Samsung S5 Network Operators mean?

Hello crescendo97

You need to select Rogers as you are with Rogers. No it wouldn't be able to work with other carriers unless you unlock the phone and use one of their sim cards. It would fail as your sim card isn't with them, its with Rogers.

You need to set it to " Automatically Select Preferred Network " In order to automatically get Rogers as your carrier.
I Plan to Stick Around

Much appreciated. I'm usually quite tech savvy but I didn't understand changing carriers. Now that I know it's for unlocked devices, that makes sense.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello crescendo97

No worries!. Anytime you have a question, just come on here and post and most of us will help! Smiley Happy
I Plan to Stick Around

Hold on Meowmix how about local roaming? please correct me if I’m wrong, but if there’s no Rogers network available while Bell/Telus have coverage the sub should be able to jump on the other network
I Plan to Stick Around

That's a good question. I'm curios to know.

My main reason for asking is that when I'm out at my cottage, I do not get a good Rogers signal. However, the Bell network seems to be good out there. I am wondering what settings, or options I can play around with to perhaps get a more solid connection out there.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Smartwine

That is a good question. When i was outside of a Rogers area many times and tried it, it wouldn't let me go into their networks at all. I tried maybe 10+ time on different occasions.

So i don't think it works that ways either
I Plan to Stick Around

Any suggestions for what options to play with to try and get a signal when I'm out at a place like my cottage?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello crescendo97

If you have a laptop and you have Internet in your cottage, there is Rogers One Number which basically let's you use the same number you have and let's you make calls and texts via that.

Other then that, maybe a signal booster but even then it most likely won't work
I Plan to Stick Around

for domestic roaming my guess is that you might need to phone Rogers and ask to add a specific soc… keep in mind there will be extra charges