cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Google Nexus 5X Roaming Issues

akaspick
I'm here a lot

I have an unlocked Nexus 5X that works perfectly in Canada with my Rogers SIM.  Although, when I'm roaming outside of Canada, like the USA, my phone doesn't connect to any networks; no voice or data capabilities at all.  The cellular network icon in my status bar remains blank.

My previous phone was an unlocked Nexus 4 and that worked fine in Canada and the USA when roaming with a Rogers SIM card.

Is this a phone issue?  A rogers network issue?  I travel a lot and having a phone that doesn't work outside of Canada is not ideal.  My only other solution at the moment is to obtain a SIM card with another provider, but I'd prefer to use my Rogers SIM and make use of Roam at Home.

Thanks

*** Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unlocked Google Nexus 5X Roaming Issues

@akaspick

I can definitely assist you with removing the block. Addressing your issue involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

RogersSannecia

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @akaspick

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Forums.

Unfortunately Rogers does not support unlocked devices. Keep in mind that with an unlock device some features and settings may not work because they’re configured to our network.

Do you know if there’s an oversea block on your account?

RogersSannecia

hi @RogersSannecia

Actually, I think you may have guessed it.  I believe I recall telling Rogers support to block my previous phone from all Roaming after I received "unwanted" roaming charges when I was in Africa.  I didn't travel outside of Canada after that with my previous phone and forgot about the block.

Can I remove the block on my account myself?

Thanks

@akaspick

I can definitely assist you with removing the block. Addressing your issue involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

RogersSannecia

Thank you @RogersSannecia.  I have provided the requested info for my account via the private message.

Klazu
I've been here awhile

@RogersSannecia wrote:

@akaspick

RogersSannecia

I believe I have exactly the same problem with my unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020. Can you please help me to solve my issue as well? Thank you.

Hello @Klazu

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Forums Smiley Wink!

Are you not able to make calls while roaming outside Canada?

Did you request to have an oversea block placed on your account?

Looking forward to your response.

RogersSannecia

Klazu
I've been here awhile

Yes, just like the original poster I remember asking for an oversea block when joining Rogers. As a result my phone does not register with the cell network when abroad (tried both in the US and Europe). I don't want any roaming plan, but I will be going for a trip next week and would like to have phone available in case of an emergency.

Can you please help me check and remove the oversea block from my account? I didn't see any option to do so under MyRogers. Thank you.

Hello @Klazu

I’d like to help in getting your issue resolved. Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

Thanks!

RogersSannecia

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @RogersSannecia

Rogers does support unlocked devices which it does sell. Those devices are the Nexus devices which are fully unlocked even if Rogers sells them. So Roges does support those Nexus devices. Also some techs do the support for unlocked devices but again its up to them & their knowledge. You are right though in some part.

Bad to hear that there are no bars on network icon on your device. But don't worry i have best quick fix for this issue. Hope this may help you:

• Go to Settings > mobile + SIM, tap on Highest connection speed and switch it to 2G
  • nce you've switched your Nokia Lumia to 2G
    Turn your Nokia Lumia off completely
    Wait 10 seconds
    Turn it back on again
  • Go back into Settings > mobile + SIM as shown above and switch Highest connection speed back to 3G
  • If your Lumia doesn't reconnect automatically after switching back to 3G, go to
    Settings > mobile + SIM > SIM settings
  • Tap on Network selection > Search for networks
  • Select your Carrier once the search is complete and you should connect successfully.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 in conversation