cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked Bell S7 and Roger's WiFi calling...

A320B767
I plan to stick around

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can register for WiFi calling but under Phone settings there is no WiFi calling or Volte option.

Is it as simple as reset network settings or is it because of it being originally a Bell phone?

Thanks in advance...

46 REPLIES 46

Re: Unlocked Bell S7 and Roger's WiFi calling...

I have the exact same situation except with Samsung s6 - just unlocked a Bell Samsung S6 (not Edge) and ordered a Rogers Sim because I was told wifi calling would work. I somehow expected the wifi calling feature to show up with the new sim card or have an option to add new OS. Will this reboot process work with a Samsung s6?

A320B767
I plan to stick around
To be honest I am not sure. You could try it at your own risk but keep in mind it will wipe the device. If you are just starting out then not much of an issue.

As always it is not a recommended way of getting WiFi to work according to mods around here but you will also need to get Rogers to add the imei to their database as well.

Good luck

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Multifaceted

I wouldn't do that just for WIFI Calling. Doing this will factory reset your device and also lose all your information from the device. So back up the device if you choose this route.

I would contact Rogers and see if they can add that IMEI in their data base and see if there is any applications on their end blocking it from going thought.

Will do, I have number of Rogers rep who sold me the sim and said it would work and will talk to him in the morning. Wifi calling is key for me as I cant use my cell phone here in Uxbridge as the cell phone coverage is so poor.  I am using Cisco Jabber with work but it isnt great so really keen to get wifi calling.  I'll give you guys the update.

Thanks for feedback.  I have fully backed up with Samsung SmartSwitch so if it doesnt work, theoretically I can restore.  But I am also straddling between Bell and Rogers - I have 15 days to return SIM so will just go back to Bell.  If I do reboot to turn it into a Rogers phone and it doesnt work is there a process to reload the Bell software?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Multifaceted

Just making it clear that if the device has any issues while having another carriers software loaded into thay device, Rogers will no longer service the phone under warranty as you are changing the firmware to another carriers one. Just want to make that clear.

I would take the steps and speak to the rep and do it that way to be honest.

That makes sense.  But its not really relevant to this situation as this is a Bell phone that I just unlocked so of course Rogers wouldnt warranty it.  Now if I have an issue with it and screw it up then Bell wouldnt warranty.  Appreciate everyone's input.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Multifaceted

That is correct. So really if the warranty isn't a issue then you can go ahead and do it on your own risk. Just make sure all goes smoothly and see if it works.

Bcsc
I plan to stick around
If your phone is beyond it's first 30 days, your warranty has absolutely nothing to do with Bell. The warranty is provided by Samsung and changing the CSC code to that of another carrier will not prevent a warranty claim. Rogers' CSC is built into your phone already and running it on a Bell phone will absolutly not void you. I have warrantied a faulty S6 3 times due to a faulty NFC chip, each time running various stock firmwares and CSCs.

Thinking more about this.  Right now, my Samsung does not have a setting for Wifi calling - it would be under vibrate in the attached screenshot as I have read the Rogers FAQs and it has screenshot showing the setting under vibrate. I am questioning how getting Rogers to add IMEI to the database will enable that setting to be added.  The only way that can happen is to install a new operating system or Rogers / Samsung has an update to add that setting.  Does that make sense?Screenshot_20170124-063059.png

Well the story ends - sadly!  Rogers tech support, who were very helpful, confirmed that only unlocked iPhones can be enabled with wifi calling.  Android devices would be added later and to keep an eye out for announcements.  So I give up and returning the sim and cancelling the new purchase.  I thought this was going to be the case but worth a shot!

@Multifaceted wrote:

Thinking more about this.  Right now, my Samsung does not have a setting for Wifi calling - it would be under vibrate in the attached screenshot as I have read the Rogers FAQs and it has screenshot showing the setting under vibrate. I am questioning how getting Rogers to add IMEI to the database will enable that setting to be added.  The only way that can happen is to install a new operating system or Rogers / Samsung has an update to add that setting.  Does that make sense?Screenshot_20170124-063059.png

A320B767
I plan to stick around
Just looking at your screenshot and did you select more settings? When I selected mine it was under the phone dialer and up in the upper right corner was a prompt for more settings and it was there. I was running marshmallow.

A320B767
I plan to stick around
And I am assuming you did the reboot under the Rogers CSC code!

I got to the right settings and wifi calling was supposed to be at the bottom below vibrate.  It wasnt there.

I didnt do the CSC wipe.  Didnt want to take the chance and to be honest I had spent hours and I'm done.  I will wait out the rest of the contract and when/if Rogers or Bell adds wifi calling to Android.  I use Cisco Jabber for work and got that to work again on the phone.  It isnt perfect but it will do.  Thanks for all the help!

Idan
I've been here awhile

After unsuccessfully trying to find CSR that is willing and/or able to help out I chose to file a complaint with CCTS. 

Let them sort it out for non delivery of service for compatible phone, with proper software, that is never mentioned on the website or the faq (other than these forums, which don't constitute a policy), with only reason being to stifle competition (yeah the number of reasons were given, but none of them make sense. And they actually had to go out of the way to pay someone to deliver a software that discriminate based on an imei), and only being done and enforced by Canadian providers, and nowhere else in the world. 

I might not achieve much, but by doing this I want to protest this and other anticompetitive policies implemented by Rogers. 

Hi @Idan

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting!

Please refer to point #2 from the Wi-Fi Calling Terms and Conditions here: http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Wi-Fi-Calling-Terms-of-Service.pdf

It states "To use Wi-Fi Calling, you must have the Wi-Fi Calling feature enabled in your Settings on a compatible Rogers device with an LTE SIM. You must also subscribe to a Rogers postpaid wireless voice and LTE data plan.

Please also see Page 14, Section 9, Article B of the Rogers Terms of Service & Acceptable Use Policy here: http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Rogers-Terms-of-Service-Acceptable-Use-Policy-and-Privacy-Policy.pd...

It states "The Services that Rogers provides may be impacted by factors beyond Rogers reasonable control. For this reason, you acknowledge and understand that the Services or access to the Services, including 911, public alerts or special needs services, may not function correctly or at all in the following circumstances:

1. If your Equipment fails, is not configured correctly or does not meet Rogers’ requirements
  2. If you install certain third party applications on your Equipment
  3. In the event of a network outage or extended power failure
  4. If you tamper with or, in some cases move the Equipment
  5. Following the suspension or cancellation of your Services or account.

To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law:

1. The Rogers Parties do not guarantee or warrant the performance, availability, coverage, uninterrupted use, security, pricing or operation of the Services, the Equipment or any products, content, applications software, services, facilities, connections, or networks used or provided by us or third parties (collectively, the “Offering”)

How do the Rogers Terms of Service apply to me?

These Rogers Terms of Service (Terms) govern your use of:

1. The Rogers services that you subscribe to or purchase under a service agreement or receive from or through Rogers, including wireless and residential services (“Services”)
  2. Any device or equipment used to access the Services or used with the Services (“Equipment”)

Hope this provides some clarification

RogersPrasana

Idan
I've been here awhile

Yes, thank you for response. I must admit I have not downloaded terms of service pdf regarding wifi calling. You must admit having it buried in pdf is kinda convenient. 

Anyways, the rest of the terms are completely generic and can apply to anything. 

With regards to compatibility, the phone itself is, and has loaded proper rogers software, and tampering does not apply if the phone was not rooted, and changing csc is a code in dialer away,since all the Canadian galaxy phones are essentially the same phone. 

Now I'm not arguing that you must go out your way to make the device compatible with the network, but to stop actively discriminating against non rogers devices, where all else is. How do I know this. If I put my sim in rogers device and enable VoLTE and VoWiFi, and let it sync. Then reboot and switch the sim in non rogers device, with rogers csc, that device will happily connect to both of those services, and if you don't reboot the phone, or don't travel, in other words triggering imei check, it will stay connected for many hours (I guess there is a default for check timing, in order not to make too many requests). All the services during that time work fully, including video call, and sms over lte. To put salt to the wound, I see that some people have managed to have their imei added manually, and good for them, so it is purely at the discretion of the CSR with enough authority, and corporate directive from above. Not technical impossibility as some state. 

Lots of people I know, who have been with rogers, have moved during Guy Lawrence tenure, compensated by Rogers constantly increasing prices, offering less for more $, and keeping and increasing subscribers by wholesale purchase of mobilicity etc. 

Now articles state that with the hiring of former telus ceo, rogers is turning pro consumer, rather than only pro shareholders. I see very little evidence of that. I see the Guy Lawrence mentality, being drilled into employees over the years, is sticking around for years to come. 

So yeah my complaint stays. And yes, I am shopping around. Heard the wind is more lenient for subscribers who bring their own device with imminent launch of said services, as long as they support band 66, which my s8 does. After all it is same device. 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Idan wrote:

Yes, thank you for response. I must admit I have not downloaded terms of service pdf regarding wifi calling. You must admit having it buried in pdf is kinda convenient. 

Anyways, the rest of the terms are completely generic and can apply to anything. 

With regards to compatibility, the phone itself is, and has loaded proper rogers software, and tampering does not apply if the phone was not rooted, and changing csc is a code in dialer away,since all the Canadian galaxy phones are essentially the same phone. 

Now I'm not arguing that you must go out your way to make the device compatible with the network, but to stop actively discriminating against non rogers devices, where all else is. How do I know this. If I put my sim in rogers device and enable VoLTE and VoWiFi, and let it sync. Then reboot and switch the sim in non rogers device, with rogers csc, that device will happily connect to both of those services, and if you don't reboot the phone, or don't travel, in other words triggering imei check, it will stay connected for many hours (I guess there is a default for check timing, in order not to make too many requests). All the services during that time work fully, including video call, and sms over lte. To put salt to the wound, I see that some people have managed to have their imei added manually, and good for them, so it is purely at the discretion of the CSR with enough authority, and corporate directive from above. Not technical impossibility as some state. 

Lots of people I know, who have been with rogers, have moved during Guy Lawrence tenure, compensated by Rogers constantly increasing prices, offering less for more $, and keeping and increasing subscribers by wholesale purchase of mobilicity etc. 

Now articles state that with the hiring of former telus ceo, rogers is turning pro consumer, rather than only pro shareholders. I see very little evidence of that. I see the Guy Lawrence mentality, being drilled into employees over the years, is sticking around for years to come. 

So yeah my complaint stays. And yes, I am shopping around. Heard the wind is more lenient for subscribers who bring their own device with imminent launch of said services, as long as they support band 66, which my s8 does. After all it is same device. 

@Idan 

Guy Lawrence was actually putting the company in the right direction. He cared about customer service, and Rogers customer serviced improved tremendously under Guy's direction in my personal opinion. He brought us Roam like home before anyone else, which is a great feature for the customer. Share Everything plans that included free Spotify, etc. Telus/Bell/Rogers all charge the exact same price for wireless and the plans are identical, but with Rogers you got free Spotify Premium, and had the Roam Like Home Option. This was well before Bell and Telus started offering similar roaming plans. 

Rogers was also pushing technology out first before everyone else under Guys watch. VoLTE, WiFi calling, IPV6 for Home Internet and Mobile, Gigabit on it's entire footprint, DOCSIS 3.1. If you look at Telus's record they are usually the last to implement new features/technology. I'm actually kinda worried Rogers wont be pushing new cutting edge technology out as fast as they did when Guy Lawrence was running the company. 

This post is coming from someone who 5 years ago wouldn't go near Rogers, but with all the changes in the past few years I'm proud to be a Rogers customer!

Idan
I've been here awhile

You gotta be kidding me. I know people have short memories, but you are saying plans today are better than unlimited north America + 6gb data? Do you remember $10 for a gb overage fee. What is it now? Do you remember you could subsidize any phone after a year and just continue contract (not stacked). Rogers one number before unison? 

Even for spotify, remember it was for duration of the contract. Now? 

Hearded like a cattle onto share everything so that shareholder can see revenue per account rather than revenue per user as was the case before. 

Roam like home sure is nice, unless you look at tmobile including it for free. 

Do we really have to be proud that rogers was first to launch VoLTE, VoWiFi only 4 years after technology in its current form was available on the phones, 2 years after their own announcement. And including bell and Telus, are the only ones in the world to implement actively blocking phones via imei, unless bought from them. Go to England, or France, or Germany, and buy unlocked phone, change the csc to h3g orange, or vodaphone, and use VoLTE and VoWiFi all you like. 

Seems to me you are only saying they suck least.  And you might even be right... Yet telus is the one that repeatedly gets highest ratings in customer satisfaction. 

But I do respect your opinion as such. 

LOL. No I do not want to live in England France, or Germany. 

Anyways, we went deep off the topic, and I apologise for that. I will refrain from doing so again. 

mobilesupport1
I plan to stick around

Do one thing type #*#*4636*#*# on your mobile and check network type make sure you have selected lte.

Then try for wifi calling and also contact roger customer care and provide your imei number for volte. Then they can activate volte on your mobile . As you have bell mobile and not roger that is why this happen i think.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @mobilesupport1

Unfortunately that does not work. Sad said before, Rogers will only activate WiFi Calling and or VOLTE on Rogers branded devices and not unlocked ones other then the iPhone. So doing that sadly won't do much as customers on pages 1-4 have done it with no or little luck.
Topic Stats
  • 46 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 in conversation