Text messages taking up to 10 minutes to send

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Text messages taking up to 10 minutes to send

I thought it was just my crappy network at home, but I'm at work now - in Stouffville, and people keep getting angry at me because they think I'm not answering their texts while in reality it's trying to send my text and can take up to 10 minutes. Rogers is a "premium" company, why is SMS service so bad?

Solved! Go to Solution.
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: Text messages taking up to 10 minutes to send

Android right?
What Device?
If you have a lot of SMS in the thread (saved) you need to clear them up. Having too much SMS saved, makes the SMS read the thread and understand timestamp. The more messages you have the longer it takes. Keep in mind you are technically running an .xml (or whatever format that Android uses) on Live Read/Write sequence.

SMS service isn't bad, your device is low on memory.
If you have the SMS pending on sending, it CAN be a network issue, but it is almost always a device issue.
If anyone around you has Rogers service and they experience no issue. It is your device.

Did you ever change your SMS settings to save your messages always? or delete it after 1000 messages? do you remember playing with those settings?

Also, what device do you have? Might help me give you more better assistance that is tailored to your device settings.

Thanks! :]

And Welcome to the Community @TechLady - Hope you enjoy your stay! 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. 

I checked the settings for SMS, and it's set to delete old message, with a message limit of 200. 

What changes would you recommend that I make?

I'm Here A Lot

I'm pretty sure that is not accurate at all. I had a Galaxy S3 before and never deleted SMS messages (for reference purposes if needed) and NEVER had an SMS take so long and this is from 80 or more contacts who sent text messages, some with messages dating back 2 years before I upgraded to the Note 4 so I had thousands upon thousands if not over 10,000 messages in the phones memory.

My note 4 is the same thing, I don't auto-delete any messages and never had an SMS take so long to send. In reality, the auto-delete slows the phone down from my experiences as I didn't know about that initially when I bought the S3 and wondered why incoming texts kept making my phone so slow. It turned out as it deleted an SMS to take the incoming one it was extremely slow and sluggish until I opened and read the message (when it finally opened). Maybe that is better now but who knows, I keep them all anyway and never once had a problem sending.

I am pretty sure it is not the phone that is the problem but the network. I just love how companies will always blame the user or their device before even considering  that maybe... just MAYBE it is THERE end having issues!

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hi @NightHawk29

@ShakTiburon has mentioned that it could also possibly also relate to a Network Issue and is merely providing his information based on personal experiences.

The overall issue would need to be diagnosed by a Technical Support Representative to determine the root cause. This involves troubleshooting in order to determine if the device is the cause or the network.

From my personal experiences, I haven't ran into a case where the messages would delay in sending due to "low memory". If so, it would be deemed a one off software issue with the device and factory reset would be suggested. If it is indeed a Network issue we can run a trace to determine what is causing the delay.

@TechLady Please let us know where you currently stand so we can conduct a further investigation.

RogersAsif

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't send many text messages so I just sent one to a friend - it took 60 seconds. That's good but it isn't consistent. I haven't changed anything on my phone, so I don't think the problem is solved.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok I have pending messages now, not getting sent. Problem still exists, and of course it does - I haven't changed anything.

Sometimes the messages fail. 

Is there a better messaging app for SMS messages?

I Plan to Stick Around

It took 6 minutes to send. Meanwhile, my friend was messaging me back.
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hi @TechLady

Would you happen to have an extra Rogers phone laying around? If so, could you pop your sim card into that device and send out a test message to see if you are still getting a delay.

Another thing we could try is a new sim card, on rare cases i have seen the sim card causing issues with sending messages out.

I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps when you receive it please check our messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

RogersAsif

I Plan to Stick Around

I like to use text messages because I have limited voice minutes on my phone plus I don't want to have to pay long distance charges. Sometimes I give up and just phone though because nobody should wait that long for an answer from me.

I have a great data plan that isn't offered anymore, so I don't want to change my plan. I kind of feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place though - I have unlimited texting but it's not working right. 

Tell me what I need to make this work. Do I need a better SMS messaging program? Is there one? Is my only option to change my plan and pay for long distance, and use voice more? Is SMS messaging dying? I don't think it's my phone because my husband has a different phone on the Rogers network and he has the same issue but he doesn't care because he doesn't text much. 

I really would appreciate some advice.