cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethered Gaming

Gregole
I plan to stick around

I was just wondering how do you get out from strict nat when tethering laptop to phone?

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Tethered Gaming

RogersShaun
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Gregole,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Thanks for reaching out. You've come to the right place! I'll tag in a few of our very knowledgeable Resident Experts. I have a feeling that @Gdkitt@Datalink @gp-se might have some suggestions.

Hopefully, with their assistance, you'll be able to get to the bottom of your issue. 

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

DominicB
I plan to stick around

I don't think you can.  You would think the phone would present you with a public routable IP address with no ports blocked.  Nope.

I have a Rogers Turbo ZTE hub -- you cannot bridge it.  What is wrong with these people who put in these restrictions?  Did they flunk networking?  Do I have to teach them IP networking and telephony?

Cell phones generally dont have a outward facing routable IP address, at least that i have ever seen in all my experiences.

You can get a static IP for any cell based stuff, which will allow you to say connect to something internal say like camera system, etc..

But as far as I am aware, that static address it still not set on that device.  Its a routed address?  That when you go to that static address that it then routes to the cellular IP.

The BIG issue though even with any of the above.. is often the firewall is still too strick on the phone itself.. and there is really no setting, etc you can change on it, say compared to a regular router.

DominicB
I plan to stick around

If he tethers via USB or creates a mobile hotspot, he'll get a different result.

Tethering via USB is supposed to present a dynamically assigned publicly routable IP as a virtual Ethernet connection (the tethering driver does this), which would then be subject to Windows Firewall, which could be disabled, or rules could be added to allow traffic on the ports needed for gaming if those ports are static.  If those ports are dynamic, then a range can be defined.

No NAT would be required.

In real practice though, a public IP is not presented, nor is a 192.168... address, but something in between this world and the other side, which usually comes from flunking Networking 101 and Telephony 101.

Smart firewalls which are gaming aware can open and close ports on the fly.  Our Voice over IP firewalls did this, because they were geared towards telephony.

It would help to know the type of phone he is using, the OS, etc.  Would be happy to assist.

Gregole
I plan to stick around
Currently using s8+. Been tethering it to my laptop to play r6 siege. I used to use vpn but was having problem with it as r6 siege would only connect if i vpn through washington or oregon. Connecting anywhere in bc and i get a cannot connect. If I cant tether throught phone, how bout a rocketstick?

DominicB
I plan to stick around

@Gregole  How portable do you need this solution to be?  A Galaxy S8 Plus ... nice.  But for gaming you're gonna get lousy speeds and latency on the LTE network.  Packets arrive out of sequence ALL THE TIME.  It does need quite a few ports open and a range (or a Siege aware router to open and close pinholes as needed).

I would recommend using Rogers fixed wireline internet (150u or higher) and this Hitron modem (which is not a router) directly connected to your notebook via a gigabit Ethernet port, or through a gigE to USB 3.1 Thunderbolt port (the blue one where it doesn't matter if you shove it in upside down) if your notebook has no eth port.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hitron-CDA3-20-Gigabit-Cable-Modem/dp/B01ACAZWZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=150003...

If Rogers can't do it, their stuff is bridgeable, although that isn't ideal either -- and there's always TekSavvy.

Just sweet talk Rogers -- that's all.

LTE for gaming?  Not unless you want portability.

Let me test it with my BB Passport and BB Priv (Android).  I like the G8+, but I ain't payin' $1,100 for it.

If your solution truly needs portability, I have to think.  I'm sure Rogers is blocking ports on LTE.

Ports can't be open.  If nothing is listening on a port, it can be WIDE WIDE WIDE OPEN.  Comp Sci 101.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 in conversation