cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Lost and Found Phone

Sound22Card
I've been around

Greetings,

A while ago my wife lost her phone (Galaxy S7).  After getting another she found the lost one.  I have been using it to play music only.  It is assigned to the Telus network, but, again, I'm not using it as a phone .

My phone (Galaxy S7) recently died with an electrical 'POP', and it is irreparable.  It is on the Rogers network.     If I switch SIMs then the 'found' phone that I want to use, will be assigned to the wrong phone number AND the wrong network.   How do I go about setting this up right? 

*Added Labels*

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Switching to Lost and Found Phone

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sound22Card do a google search for:  canada unlock cell phones

Have a look at the top results, which indicate:

The CRTC, Canada's wireless regulator, has ruled that every cellphone sold in the country must be unlocked, and carriers can no longer charge their customers to unlock their current devices, according to the CBC.  Jun. 16, 2017

So that was reported in Jun 2017 with an effective date of 1 Dec 2017.  I don't know if that decision has been superceded or not as there's no indication of that. 

So, if the telus phone was bought prior to Dec 2017, then its probably locked to the Telus network.  If it was purchased after 1 Dec 2017, then it should be unlocked and you should be able to use the Rogers sim card in that phone.  Even if the phone is locked, you can probably pay someone to unlock it for you if you can't do it yourself. 

Further to that, from the drop down questions in that search comes the following:

Is it free to unlock a phone in Canada?

Unlocking your Canadian cell phone is free.

All wireless devices sold after December 1, 2017, must be unlocked or sold with instructions on how to unlock the device at no additional cost. All wireless devices that are locked to a carrier must be unlocked upon request at no cost to the consumer.Feb. 1, 2021

Can I unlock a phone myself?

How do I unlock my mobile phone? You can make sure your phone actually needs unlocking by inserting a SIM card from another network into your mobile phone. If it's locked, a message will appear on your home screen. The simplest way to unlock your device is to ring your provider and ask for a Network Unlock Code (NUC).Feb. 2, 2017

So, you should be able to obtain the unlock code from Telus in the event that you find the phone to be locked to their network. 

Fwiw, keep reading thru the drop down questions and answers further down the search results.  There are some interesting questions and answers.

Re: Switching to Lost and Found Phone

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hi sound22card. When you put your Rogers sim card in the Telus phone there is no such thing as the phone using the "wrong" number or "wrong" network.

The sim card assigns your phone number and chooses the right network to connect to. You just have to make sure that the Telus galaxy s7 is unlocked. It might not be but if that's the case Telus will gladly unlock it for you not Rogers since it's a Telus phone. Simply call them and ask for it to be locked if it's not already. Then continue using it as usual.
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 in conversation