cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching SIM Cards

bboz9
I've been around

Hi, I currently have a samsung corby and I am wondering if I could buy a new Samsung galaxy s3 and not upgrade my plan. Could I then put the Sim card from my old phone into the gs3???

****Edited Labels****

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switching SIM Cards

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
You will need to buy a Micro Sim Card for the Samsung Galaxy S3. I just got one my self this morning & i was told i it takes a micro sim card.

Call up Rogers & have them register the sim card OR you can do it online via My Rogers - Overview - Change Sim Card. ( Sometimes this option may not work.)

I would not suggest cutting the sim card to a micro sim card because i did that & i had a few issues. I started getting headaches when i even went near the antenna of the phone & when i removed the back & touched the sim card, i started getting migranes & such. Also i had seen that my signal dropped.

It is up to your own choice but i suggest buying a Micro Sim card for $11 bucks at your local Rogers plus store or any Cellphone store.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

confyzone
I plan to stick around
You definetly should be able to. I can't recall if the S3 uses micro or regular sim, but even if it does use mirco, you just need to go into rogers and they can cut the regular into a micro for you

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
You will need to buy a Micro Sim Card for the Samsung Galaxy S3. I just got one my self this morning & i was told i it takes a micro sim card.

Call up Rogers & have them register the sim card OR you can do it online via My Rogers - Overview - Change Sim Card. ( Sometimes this option may not work.)

I would not suggest cutting the sim card to a micro sim card because i did that & i had a few issues. I started getting headaches when i even went near the antenna of the phone & when i removed the back & touched the sim card, i started getting migranes & such. Also i had seen that my signal dropped.

It is up to your own choice but i suggest buying a Micro Sim card for $11 bucks at your local Rogers plus store or any Cellphone store.

Fairlygodmother
I've been here awhile

your better off ordering a free Micro SIM from Rogers because cutting SIMs can cause them to be ...well a little touch and go if not cut perfectly. All you will need to do then is call Rogers to ask them to switch you number over to the new sim. they can do it almost straight away on the phone. they will only want the long number at the back of the sim so have it ready before you call.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello Fairlygodmother

Please do NOT give false info. When you order a sim card from Rogers, you will need to pay $9.99 + tax. Also you just go to the store or call Rogers & have them activate the sim card, you do not need to transfer numbers or anything.

Chrystiality
I plan to stick around

Sometimes Rogers does give the SIM card for free. I've never ordered one, but have gone into the store & not paid. Happened when I bought my Note, and thought it took a mini (it doesn't)... cut it down, then figured out I made a boo-boo Smiley Tongue

So, it happens. Just don't expect it Smiley Happy

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello Chrystiality

Its rare for that to happen unless you get the device from the store or buy a device. You can always contact Rogers retentions & give you a $10 credit on your account BUT you will need to buy the sim card from the store
& then the credit goes into your invoice.

Its rare for a store to give you a sim card for free but it does happen once in a blue moon like it did with you:). The stores will charge you tho to get a sim.

button123
I've been around

iIf i'm under my parents plan and i go into switch my sim card for my iphone. Do my parents need to be there or can i do it myself?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello button123

If your parents can add you as a level 1 on the account, then yes you can go into the store & do it. As for the moment tho, your parents will need to go in with you & do it. Mind you, you can just go get the sim card, log into My Rogers - Overview - Change Sim Card. You can do it this way as well if you have the account connected to My Rogers online.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello safedudsafe

https://www.rogerspromotions.com/

Look at the top right corner. Its ONLY for Pay as you go... ALSO even if you process it, it will not work.

Nano Sim Card question 

I currently own a S3 which has a micro sim card in it.  I am currently with Rogers on a month to month plan as I do not wish to change my plan (hardware upgrade via Rogers = must get new plan).

As a result I will be purchasing an unlocked phone which means I will need to get a new nano sim card.

Wil the process of changing from a Rogers micro sim to nano sim impact my plan in any way (i.e will I be forced to change plans?)

Thanks.

Hello @Kikodragon,

Welcome to the Community Forums! 

I would like to help. Changing SIM cards will not effect your plan in any way. Your plan will remain the same if you are just buying a phone outright and replacing your SIM card with one which is the correct size to work with that phone. 

Hope this helps :). 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Berniewald
I've been around
I would like to know how to change the sim card on my account to a different one online.... The directions the Rogers website don't work....

Hi @Berniewald!

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums, we're happy to have you here! Congrats on your first post! 👍

I know a lot has changed regarding the steps needed in order to have your SIM card changed. We've done this for the safety and security of our customers.

Here is the step by step instructions on how to change your SIM card for one of your wireless lines:

1. Go to rogers.com and click SIGN IN.

**If you have phone numbers stored on your SIM card, make sure to transfer them to your new phone before changing the SIM card number or you will lose those contacts.

2. From the Overview tab, select the phone number that needs the SIM card number updated.

3. Under Manage My Device, select Change My SIM.

4. Enter your current and new SIM card number and select Continue.

If you have already tried these same steps without success, please provide more information as to what happened. This way, other Community members can share if they are experiencing the same issue, whether or not they were able to get it resolved, and how.

We can also assist you with getting this information changed if you send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 in conversation