Samsung S4 Lollipop OS update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Samsung S4 Lollipop OS update

hello,

I was wondering whether the samsung S4 will ever get the new Android update.

I know that this link shows the dates http://communityforums.rogers.com/html/assets/OsUpgrade.html
but it is not clear if the S4 will get the update.

If it is, when will that be? its been about 5 months now since the release of lolipop.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung S4 Lollipop OS update

Hello heikalmo

Unfortunately there is no clear date or ETA when the Galaxy S4 will get the Lollipop update. Once Rogers knows, they will update that page with the correct update information. While yes it's been 5 months since the update was announced now carriers are pushing out the updates. It takes time for Google to give the carriers the update and the carriers to test out the update and make sure it works without any issues.

Just keep a eye on the page and it should be updated sometime soon.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am curious as to why the OS Upgrade page is not showing the Galaxy S4 as:

Current: 4.4.2      Upcoming: Lollipop      Expected: TBD

The way the page reads now it seems as if Rogers will not be updating the S4 yet it appears everywhere else in the world is getting the update now or very soon.  Any way of getting some sort of comfirmation that it will happen Meowmix even without an actual date?

I'm not going to be a happy camper if Rogers decides not to update the S4 seeing as the S4 is more than powerful enough to run Lollipop.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello JayPoel

The S4 update seem to have also been pulled via Samsung due to some issues. Now this can take a few weeks or a month but Rogers and Samsung won't give a actual ETA or date unless the update works fine on the devices without any issues.

The S5 update came out and has nothing but troubles and some have installed the Lollipop update on their S4 and have said the update ruins alot of things and makes the phone unstable at times.

They will update the S4 for sure as its been already said via Rogers and Samsung a while back. Just hang on and it will come sooner then later. 🙂

EDIT -  Also i wanted to point out that "TBD"  is for the Note 4 and NOT for the S4. The S4 doesn't show anything yet. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the quick reply Meowmix!

I heard there was some issues but I didn't realize they were that serious. Thanks for the info.

EDIT -  "Also i wanted to point out that "TBD"  is for the Note 4 and NOT for the S4. The S4 doesn't show anything yet." 

That's what I was trying to say, the Note 4 shows TBD which to me means it IS definitely getting the Lollipop update but no info of exactly when but the S4 is not showing anything about it. If Rogers is definitely updating the S4 then it should also have TBD in the Expected Availability column.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello JayPoel

Yeah it's pretty serious from what i have read around the world. Seems like Samsung really dropped the ball on this update. Hopefully it comes out soon without issues!.

To be honest Rogers putting "TBD"  doesn't necessarily mean it will get it or not.  So even if the colom is empty it doesn't mean it won't get it.  It just mean Rogers doesn't want to comment or post anything about it at the moment.  As i said before Rogers and Samsung Canada did state the S4 will get Lollipop a while back so just sit tight and it will come:) 

I Plan to Stick Around

FYI. what I did when i had my S4 was go with a custom rom.. this did involve rooting but the custom echoe rom v42 based on Android 5.01 was completely stable and awesome.

I almost regret upgrading to the S5 as I dont have that rom anymore!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SS604

Well that is another another option for the OP depending on that they know how to root a device and install a custom ROM.

I Plan to Stick Around

That's the backup plan if Lollipop doesn't make it to the S4.  🙂

I've played around with rooting and ROMs  with an old Captivate but I'd prefer not to mess with my primary phone just yet. 

I've Been Here Awhile

does anyone know if the galaxy s4 will get  lollipop ?