cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Watch LTE Smartwatch support

garron2
I've been around

Now that Rogers has released support for Apple watches, and the Samsung LTE watch will be in Canada in late October, when will Rogers support the Samsung LTE watch?

***EDITED LABELS***

228 REPLIES 228

Re: Samsung Galaxy Watch LTE Smartwatch support

idh82buus
I plan to stick around
I have this option too. 11.20 a month after tax. Did this work for your galaxy watch? Did it keep the same phone number as your phone?

Steves8080
I plan to stick around

So before everyone goes crazy and frustrated.... I really don't think you should be changing or adding this plan online yourself. If you want Standalone and a separate number with no calling minutes, then go nuts and have at it.

You need to add this line in the store so it Shares your primary number. It MUST be a new activation. Not sure about HUGs. There is a special box that only stores have access to that needs to be populated to pair the watch to the primary line. 

No it can't be done on chat
No it can't be done over the phone
No Tier 2 tech support can't do it
Office of the President Can't do it either.

You need an actual watch IMEI to be on the account in order for the process to work. Do not let the store use a generic IMEI.

alextheangel
I plan to stick around

Haven't. Puul the final trigger yet. But after choosing the plan then there is another option under "talk" have option of share numbers or standalone. So at least I think things is towards right direction here. 

Steves8080
I plan to stick around
Give it a shot! Maybe they updated the platform so you can link from home! I'd be curious.

idh82buus
I plan to stick around
I pulled the trigger on it. I have to go in person to the store to get the finishing touches. Will update on here if it works or not

Which watch do you have?

alextheangel
I plan to stick around

So I finally placed an online order by add the new line , and just wait to get the esim and see if it is possible just do it myself(and save the $50 activation fee). Otherwise I will just have to go to a store and ask the guys there to help making a change on it. As I am using the watch from Samsung directly so finger crossing. Worst case, I would just cancel the watch plan , and start over when rogers is fully ready.

idh82buus
I plan to stick around
So the watch works but with a new number. Not with the existing phone number of my cellphone. I am gonna ask rogers if they can fix this otherwise kinda useless to have a watch with a different phone number.

idh82buus
I plan to stick around
Turns out that it is just an additional line to your plan with a different phone number. The plus is you aren't paying the 10 dollars a month because it is just an additional line. The minus is that it's not the same phone number as your cellphone. So unless you're connected to your phone via Bluetooth you won't get updates from your phone. However you can call and use the data of your plan from your watch without your phone being on or connected. Just will be a different phone number

Steves8080
I plan to stick around
Because you didn't do it at the store as I explained. My Numbershare on my watch works just fine over LTE and my watch makes calls and texts and receives calls and texts as my main number even when the phone is at home and I'm at the gym.

So cancel the line and head to the store. Add the watch IMEI and once all the contracts are signed a link window will appear. Chose the main primary and the watch and voila!

alextheangel
I plan to stick around

Hey Steves, since you are one who got it works I just want to know what is showing your "watch phone number "at the wearable app-> about watch as show screen below. Is that same as your main number or it is a different number

Screenshot_20221129_144047_Galaxy Watch5 Manager.png

KONDO
I've been here awhile

Even if you got it to work , i thought SMS messaging without the phone does not work at least that what i was told and confirmed with bell at the time i was with them with Numbershare plan since they don't have the same number , but calls works fine.

Steves8080
I plan to stick around
Shows as a different number which is correct. The watch has its on number for billing purposes but on the backend the calls from my main number for a lack of better words forward to that number and on the ongoing I guess the caller ID is masked.

My watch shows a 403617 number in the app but it makes and receives calls on my 403561 primary.

Steves8080
I plan to stick around

As long as my phone is on and connected to WiFi or LTE the messaging does work. The messaging is reliant on samsungs messaging backend. All messages through the watch hit the Samsung server then it is sent through my phone remotely.

The phone has to be on for SMS/MMS but not for calls.

Correction I use Google Messages app so it is possible Google Cloud Sync is managing this and not Samsung. Either way both Samsung Messages and Google Messages work the same with this setup.

Steves8080
I plan to stick around

@alexif the app and watch is showing unknown you will need to have that line canceled and start from scratch.

I had this issue where the network never assigned a number to the watch sim. This was the first problem encountered back in Sept. I only got a number to show back on the 16th or 17th of November when Rogers informed me the plans and such were fixed.

With unknown on the watch your only option is a cancel and new line with fresh eSim and follow the process exactly.

I know there are skeptics here. Believe me I was one too. I was also the first person with a Rogers EPP to get this darn thing working nationally. I'm not trying to flex but it does work if the process is exactly followed.

alextheangel
I plan to stick around

I Haven't setup on my watch yet, but I am curious what your "watch phone number" is, is it same as you7r main number or show a different one

Steves8080
I plan to stick around
Confirmed that is does show different and is normal with numbershare.

Kvella01
I've been here awhile
It looks like the reason some have numbershare working and some don't is based on the new Samsung UI 5 update that is now being released to some devices. I've read it's confirmed fixed on that update for Rogers phones.

I just got my watch today, and while it works on lte, the number share doesn't, so calls out are on the watch number. Reason being is I have a note 20 ultra that hasnt received the new update yet. This is with the watch purchased and setup at the Rogers store, with the techs following the service bulletin.

Im assuming the ones that have it fully working are on the few devices that recieved the new UI 5 update in the last couple weeks.

Hopefully the update will fix our issues.

idh82buus
I plan to stick around
Also found out today that this only works on Samsung watch 5 and only ones sold by Rogers. This may change later but as of right now not the case. So I'm sure the numbershare works but only on Galaxy watch 5 not 4.

Steves8080
I plan to stick around
Incorrect. Was working fine on my s21 Android 12 One UI 4.1 at the end of November and now with Android 13 One UI 5.0. The operating system of the phone has nothing to do with Numbershare.

The phone itself isn't sending the calls to your watch. That is 100% on the rogers network. Numbershare is not like "Call and Text on other devices". Think of it this way. Why would the OS of your phone have anything to do with the watch being able to make and receive calls if you can do so with the phone turned off.

Steves8080
I plan to stick around
I think there is validity to that.

Could be a security concern because really, if you used the eSim on a phone, you'd essentially have a device that shares data and can make and receive calls for $10/mo.

Rogers only allowing their inventory to be activated would make sense. Bell and Telus do it a bit differently where the network would send the eSim to the watch but that can only be achieved through the Wear OS app tethered to watch and phone.

If you are right I believe that once Rogers adopts a similar activation process to Telus and Bell, any LTE Android smartwatch could then be activated.