Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

@RogersRoland or anyone @roger's why haven't we received our OS bug/security update for our Galaxy S9/S9 Plus you say on your OS update page that it is now available since the 16th of April but it isnt available, some communication would be nice while we are waiting.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Maybe post on Twitter... It's been over a week since the OTA was supposed to be available for the SM-G965W (curiously there's also nothing on sammobile.com?). It's not unusual for Rogers to be off by a day or two but this demands some response from Rogers. 🐧

I Plan to Stick Around

I've posted in Twitter over three times each rep said they would "look into it" I've called and they said to post on these forums. Really so far all it's just a run around.

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Hey Community,

I certainly understand the excitement around the latest OS update for your device. It pains me to be the bringer of bad news but the manufacturer has identified an issue with the FOTA (free over the air) service for the update and distribution has been halted until resolved. I'll try and keep everyone updated once we hear more.

I will update the OS Upgrade Schedule to reflect this sudden change shortly.

Thank you again for all your patience!

RogersRoland

Well thanks for update, but wondering why RogersHelps has been telling people that it was available and the OS Update was scheduled for release on the 16th...I certainly understand that things can happen beyond the Carrier's control, but inaccurate information being provided to customers for up to a week isn't expected. Perhaps a system to inform the CSRS of issues with a new Flagship device or Updates for Bug fixes & Security Patches could be expedited?

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Hey @shaggyskunk,

We definitely understand the concern when incorrect information is perceived to be presented.  We previously had it announced that the S9/S9+ OS upgrade would be scheduled for April 16th. However, based on the feedback gathered from our community users, we contacted our internal teams to investigate the unexpected delay. We received confirmation last night verifying the cause and have updated the community today.

Our team consistently monitors all feedback and concerns from our users and we try our best to get the most updated and accurate information. Hope this helps clear the air abit!

RogersRoland

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the update @RogersRoland

I Plan to Stick Around

Talk about one of those jobs that have a lack of communication

Yes thanks it does. Curious that the US variant (SM-G965U) did release the April Update on the 14th, since it's the same hardware?
Hopefully The Canadian Carriers will enable two important features that are disabled... Active Data Toggle & the FM chip - Both of which (according to Samsung) are disabled by the Carriers. While there is a work around for the Data Toggle, using adb commands, there is no work around for the disable FM chip.
Numerous people have commented that their belief for the disabled Data Toggle & FM chip is that the Carriers wish to "encourage" Data usage? This is certainly the view on a number of prominent Samsung Forums.

I Plan to Stick Around

yes i think the security updates should come faster for new flagship devices, we should be getting april security patches now, not march.  Rogers and all Canadian carries seem to be very lax in this situation.