cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

IainS
I plan to stick around

Has anyone received the March security and bugfix release that was supposed to be released on the 16th??? USA carriers are already releasing april security patches, why is Rogers always so far behind on these releases and how come KUDO from the previous post is running newer firmware ARC1 and not the ARB that rogers is running.

160 REPLIES 160

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

shaggyskunk
I'm a trusted contributor

Samsung has yet to give any further information - We know that the US SM-G965U was pulled because of reboot issues - Samsung is currently testing a couple of new builds - ARF1 & ARF2 - We don't know if either of these two will be released on July 2nd (currently scheduled by Samsung) https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA?projectId=0&meta=#/post?postId=322260

From my side I haven't experienced any issues - Reboots or anything else - Calls, Data - WiFi etc all seem to be working properly.

goedhard
I plan to stick around

Yes it all seems fine on my end as well I wonder what's causing the reboots. I hate to find out

shaggyskunk

Typically Reboots are often caused by the kernel - Although since the "Changelog" is laughable in it's utter absence of any kind of detail (the security of your device has been improved"and nothing more... I'm pretty sure that the June 4th OTA included more than just the Security Patches @ ~ 364 Meg....

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

I don't know what you guys are talking about the update hasn't been pulled and is working fine...

goedhard
I plan to stick around

Did you just get the update?

shaggyskunk

Yeah it's been pulled - If you already have it downloaded then you have it - If you didn't download it on the morning it was a then it's no longer available to download. Even the update page (link below) no longer makes any reference to the June 4th OTA 😉🐧

http://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G965W/RWC/doc.html

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

@RogersRoland is it true that the latest update for the Galaxy S9/S9+ has been halted?? you think Rogers would have said something.. but typical Rogers

shaggyskunk

That's what people are saying on Samsung Members - There's people who didn't update the first morning and they don't see any updates available now

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

Wow Samsung is really having trouble with updates with the Galaxy S9/S9+

IainS
I plan to stick around

i have switched back to my pixel xl2 again because it receives timely updates. I am considering getting rid of the S9 plus as the problems seem to be getting stupid at this point.

IainS
I plan to stick around

also this could be a snapdragon problem with android as the international variant of the s9's seem to be getting updates.

IainS
I plan to stick around

or it could be issues with North American Carriers delaying the updates.

Hey @steveburke23,

Our team hasn't heard of any news regarding a delay of the OS.

I'll also use this opportunity to help clarify how we update the OS schedule. Our team will normally receive a weekly report with a list of devices and upcoming upgrades. We will then transfer the data, pretty it up a bit, and then post here on the Community. There will be times where sudden changes will occur and we will be notified either by the Community or the programming team, like delays and whatnot. 

We've been looking to improve the experience for our users, so stayed tuned for some upcoming changes and additions to the OS upgrade schedule 😉

Hope this helps!

RogersRoland

shaggyskunk

Thanks for the explanation @RogersRoland

goedhard
I plan to stick around

RogersRoland, there are two ways where Rogers can improve on with the update notification service; make it more transparent. 1. Don't make it look pretty; I would actually love to see the changelogs to see what I'm gaining or losing. 2. If a firmware gets pulled; a reason why it got pulled as in I may not want to do that after all or I already updated my firmware and it got pulled and now I'm screwed somehow please tell me what not to do, whatever the problem may be just because I don't want to brick or cause problems with my device.

I got one more suggestion but I think it's a Samsung suggestion rather than a Rogers and that's to be able to download firmware an unlock bootloaders

IainS
I plan to stick around

you will never have the bootloader unlocked on samsung devices with the snapdragon chip, If you want an unlocked bootloader on samsung galaxy devices you will need to purchase the international model.

shaggyskunk

@RogersRoland - BTW - The OS Update Schedule (from last Friday) incorrectly says that the "available now" update for the S9/S9+ states that it contains the March Security Patch - It's actually the May Security Patch - Just sayin' 😉🐧

Hey @shaggyskunk,

Thank you for letting me know! I'll have that corrected on today's update.

RogersRoland

shaggyskunk

Awesome & Thanks @RogersRoland

shaggyskunk

By the way - @RogersRoland here is an update from Samsung Members site - I'm not sure if it's been posted here yet?
July 2nd for both the S8 & S9 Series

https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA?projectId=0&meta=#/post?postId=322260

IainS
I plan to stick around

so i would imagine the july 2nd update would be june security update for those devices.

Topic Stats