cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

IainS
I plan to stick around

Has anyone received the March security and bugfix release that was supposed to be released on the 16th??? USA carriers are already releasing april security patches, why is Rogers always so far behind on these releases and how come KUDO from the previous post is running newer firmware ARC1 and not the ARB that rogers is running.

160 REPLIES 160

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

shaggyskunk
I'm a trusted contributor

Yeah I think that lots of people are.. The S7 was supposed to get Oreo a while ago and even in the last week Samsung has delayed the update.. it was again supposed to be available for the S7 next week but it's been delayed for another week... Samsung needs to get their house in order & pay attention to it's current "flagship" devices and ease up with the "next best thing".. People WILL remember how their shiny new phone was all but ignored..

IainS
I plan to stick around

i believe that tmobile update was put on hold officially due to issues. It will brick the Canadian version anyways so no good for us.

shaggyskunk

Normally if Samsung pulled an update - Then sammobile.com would as well - As for "bricking" the Canadian SM-G965W - People have had no issues with Flashing the T-Mobile Stock Samsung Firmware with Odin on the Canadian S8/S8+ devices - And it's virtually impossible to actually really "brick" a Samsung device - So long as you can Boot into Download Mode you're likely just fine 🐧

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

Rogers has just updated their OS Schedule and the Galaxy S9/S9+ will receive its bug fix/may security update on June 4th

shaggyskunk

Thanks for the heads up 🐧

IainS
I plan to stick around

actually the tmobile update does not install on the canadian version of the s9+.

Skladman
I plan to stick around

Finally! It's about time.

shaggyskunk

Well received the June 4th OTA and it includes the May Security Patch & other undetermined fixes (the link to the Changelog is dated March 14th 2018) the OTA is ~ 364 Meg.
If anyone is using Substratum Themes remember to Uninstall BEFORE applying the Update & it's always a good idea to Boot into Recovery and Wipe Cache 🐧

shaggyskunk

FYI - Samsung Members has posted an updated Maintenance Schedule for the S8/S8+ & S9/S9+
July 2nd for both devices - Other Samsung devices are included as well here:

https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA?projectId=0&meta=#/post?postId=322260

What is the current firmware release version for a rogers branded phone model S9 G960W? Would like know the version difference between my NON-Rogers branded phone on baseband build R16NW.G960WVLU2ARE6. Noticed after recently upgrading the firmware lost VOLTE and WIFI-Calling. Have these features on NON-Rogers phone because got representative to add rogers IMEI number for a S7 to my account and bang all working until upgrade. Thinking to revert to previous firmware to get back features over security.

There is no difference , I also have a non Rogers Galaxy S9 phone and previously had a Rogers Galaxy S7 with Volte and Wifi calling , I was told they didn't support Volte and Wifi calling with phones not bought through Rogers which I think is absolutely ridiculous, but i see you called in before to add IMEI so maybe call in again and ask?

goedhard
I plan to stick around

I have the 9+ VoWifi and VoLTE works. My phone was bought from Roger's and first sim card in was Rogers.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5vgxR7PhrQZCLML7

I too also agree this is ridiculous that vo LTE and voWi-Fi is not supported across all devices regardless were they come from. Even though iPhone and Google phones or supported regardless where they're from. Only so much love can go round from a network

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

Hey goedhard we are Saying Rogers doesn't support Volte/wifi calling with Non Rogers phones yes it should definitely work with phones bought through Rogers

shaggyskunk

You might want to have a look at the link below.. But it seems pretty ridiculous that you can't use VoLTE (apparently) on a Canadian SM-G965W purchased from Samsung Canada??

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/WiFi-Calling-and-VoLTE-on-Rogers...

goedhard
I plan to stick around

I had a Rogers phone from Rogers that came from Rogers but yet it did not work because the first SIM card in the phone was a Koodo Sim. And because I did that the phone thought it was a Koodo phone so it set itself as a Koodo phone.

KDO/KDO/XAC

Roger's is RWC/RWC/XAC

It has something to do with the software that connects to Rogers a certain proxy or some sort of setting. I was also on a different firmware version then Rogers. The firmware version that was supplying looks like a Rogers firmware this I do not know why it does not work. I don't see a point in Wi-Fi calling just because when Wi-Fi disconnects and then goes on to an LTE band for some reason it disconnects for me.

Which sucks. Especially when you're on a phone call with Rogers trying to fix your billing issue. V o l t e I never noticed a single difference I still got the message. Since I'm ranting, what is with video calling. How come I can't substitute Google Duo which works with a bunch of people or a cross messaging platform where I can talk to or video call an iPhone user with FaceTime. This almost seems like Skype or Google messaging or icq or Yahoo messenger. All different platforms and nothing's compatible. Why can't Rogers Bell and Telus All Join the same Network Zone so then I can just connect and use my phone anywhere and not have to worry about going to someone else for service just because it works for them. Why do we have a monetary system still. Its 2018 and we are 18 years past the year 2000

shaggyskunk

The OTHER issues with the Canadian Carriers are that:
a) They disabled the QS Toggle for Cell Data & Hot Spot.
b) They disabled the FM chip.

There's a workaround for the QS Data Toggle & Hot Spot (using adb) But it's offensive that these features are disabled!

There must be a difference with the basebands between rogers phones and non-rogers phones. My current version is R16NW.G960WVLU2ARE6 with security update to May. On Rogers update schedule for S9 it says security update to March? So it is probably version G960WVLU1ARC1.

there is no difference and we are on the May security update Rogers just didn't update the info

shaggyskunk

Yup all the Canadian Carriers are using the same Baseband - Unfortunately for some reason sammobile.com doesn't have any of the S9/S9+ Stock Samsung Firmware - But they do for the S8 series...??

shaggyskunk

@RogersDarrell
While I did receive the June 4th OTA on my SM-G965W - It appears that the update has been pulled by Samsung... The OS Update Schedule may need to be revised...

goedhard
I plan to stick around

Why did they pull it?

Topic Stats