cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

IainS
I plan to stick around

Has anyone received the March security and bugfix release that was supposed to be released on the 16th??? USA carriers are already releasing april security patches, why is Rogers always so far behind on these releases and how come KUDO from the previous post is running newer firmware ARC1 and not the ARB that rogers is running.

160 REPLIES 160

Re: Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus OS/Security Updates

shaggyskunk
I'm a trusted contributor

Maybe post on Twitter... It's been over a week since the OTA was supposed to be available for the SM-G965W (curiously there's also nothing on sammobile.com?). It's not unusual for Rogers to be off by a day or two but this demands some response from Rogers. 🐧

daniel10
I plan to stick around

I've posted in Twitter over three times each rep said they would "look into it" I've called and they said to post on these forums. Really so far all it's just a run around.

Hey Community,

I certainly understand the excitement around the latest OS update for your device. It pains me to be the bringer of bad news but the manufacturer has identified an issue with the FOTA (free over the air) service for the update and distribution has been halted until resolved. I'll try and keep everyone updated once we hear more.

I will update the OS Upgrade Schedule to reflect this sudden change shortly.

Thank you again for all your patience!

RogersRoland

shaggyskunk

Well thanks for update, but wondering why RogersHelps has been telling people that it was available and the OS Update was scheduled for release on the 16th...I certainly understand that things can happen beyond the Carrier's control, but inaccurate information being provided to customers for up to a week isn't expected. Perhaps a system to inform the CSRS of issues with a new Flagship device or Updates for Bug fixes & Security Patches could be expedited?

Hey @shaggyskunk,

We definitely understand the concern when incorrect information is perceived to be presented.  We previously had it announced that the S9/S9+ OS upgrade would be scheduled for April 16th. However, based on the feedback gathered from our community users, we contacted our internal teams to investigate the unexpected delay. We received confirmation last night verifying the cause and have updated the community today.

Our team consistently monitors all feedback and concerns from our users and we try our best to get the most updated and accurate information. Hope this helps clear the air abit!

RogersRoland

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

Thank you for the update @RogersRoland

goedhard
I plan to stick around

Talk about one of those jobs that have a lack of communication

shaggyskunk

Yes thanks it does. Curious that the US variant (SM-G965U) did release the April Update on the 14th, since it's the same hardware?
Hopefully The Canadian Carriers will enable two important features that are disabled... Active Data Toggle & the FM chip - Both of which (according to Samsung) are disabled by the Carriers. While there is a work around for the Data Toggle, using adb commands, there is no work around for the disable FM chip.
Numerous people have commented that their belief for the disabled Data Toggle & FM chip is that the Carriers wish to "encourage" Data usage? This is certainly the view on a number of prominent Samsung Forums.

IainS
I plan to stick around

yes i think the security updates should come faster for new flagship devices, we should be getting april security patches now, not march.  Rogers and all Canadian carries seem to be very lax in this situation.

Hey Community,

Just received word that the previously announced OS upgrade for Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ has been delayed ever further. Samsung has decided to bundle it into a larger upgrade for their May update. We will continue to update the community as new information comes.

RogersRoland

shaggyskunk

Thanks for the heads up! Although it's disappointing for anyone who is experiencing the black crush / colour banding issues! I know that it's hoped that the Bug Fix update would resolve the issue. 🐧

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

@RogersRoland thank you for keeping us updated ,good to hear we will be getting the latest security update as well.

AP13
I've been here awhile

@RogersRoland is there any update or timeline for when our phones will be updates?

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @AP13,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forums.

We've gotten a few requests on an update and unfortunately there hasn't been any change from the earlier posted information. We will update everyone once we hear something new. 

Stay posted!

RogersRoland

shaggyskunk

FYI - Samsung Canada via Samsung Members has posted an updated version of the OTA schedule for various devices - ie:There WAS a Scheduled Security Patch Update OTA for the S8/S8+ for May 22nd - Samsung Canada has revised the date to May 29th for this device - See the attached link for the other devices including the S9/S9+ https://community.samsungmembers.com/en_CA#/latest_post?categoryId=1&postId=302471

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

@shaggyskunk thanks for the info.

shaggyskunk

Well no Maintenance or Security Patch updates this morning for the SM-G965W (S9+)... Still running with the February Security Patch! The U.S. S9+ received it's last Security Patch update OTA April 12th... This is fist since the U.S. variant is the same Hardware with the same Snapdragon processor... Now the, 29th of May & we are just a week away from Google releasing the June Security Patch... Uhm....

IainS
I plan to stick around

i am gonna go out on a limb here and say it will be available around the 5th of June.

IainS
I plan to stick around

all US phones are still running with the feb security patch officially, some have been able to take theres to may using odin and a pulled tmobile update.

shaggyskunk

Here's an Official April T-Mobile update with the March Security Patch fwiw...
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/SM-G965U/TMB/download/G965USQU2ARC6/216249/
According to Samsung Canada - There's supposed to be 2 OTA updates for the SM-G965W - A Maintenance update today & a Security Patch update OTA June 4th... I posted the link to Samsung's Members a few days ago - Good news is that I received the May 1st Security Patch on my S8+ this morning... Just odd that my S9+ that came with Oreo 8.0 & Project Treble is still on the February Security Patch...

AP13
I've been here awhile

I find it really confusing why Samsung isn't putting in more effort to ensure whatever issue is causing the delay is fixed considering that this is their flagship phone and it's already been out 2.5 months. Really disappointed.

Topic Stats