Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Reservation numbers / Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Reservation numbers / Questions

June security update is now available OTA. Check your software update.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @sbahia

Indeed it is! Just checked it my self but I will do the update later on after work. 🙂
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I got the update this morning around 7am, installed without any issues.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @sbahia

Installed it just now! Got the new update and seems my battery has been adjusted ( good thing).
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

Just wanted to update this thread with my situation. So my current S8+ ( the third one I had) had some battery issues which would constantly die and the phone felt sluggish with barely anything on it. I went through all the steps to factory reset, remove apps, went as far as going to Samsung and having then look at it. They couldn't help as they didn't have any in stock to exchange it with.

Called tech support and they offered to send me a refurbished model and pay $35 for it. I said sure but can you guarantee that it will work.. I was promised it would. So on Thrusday night I got my 4th S8+ ( refurbished) and low and behold that once I set up everything, the microphone didn't work at all. I called Samsung Canada, ran through all the tests, secret menus and everything. Nothing. Very frustrated called back Rogers via my home phone and actually had a rep tell me that they couldn't do anything and that they had to send me a refurbished one again. Even when I asked to speak to a manager, he declined me speaking to one and said " he will say the same thing. We can't send out new ones). So i said okay and he put the order through.. Called back and spoke to Jason at tech support, explained my situation and he saw how many S8+ I have been through and all ( its sad that this phone has given me such headaches). He spoke to his manager and they are sending me a new one... I searched this up and it's a known hardware issue with the microphone not working it seems.

What I would like to know and asked Jason this, don't they test the phones before they leave? It seems they only test the them to turn in as the battery was at 10% when I turned it on and sim card tray wasn't even installed properly. Poor refurbished device I would say. He and I know they test them but barely even check for anything.

Jason and his manager were very helpful on getting me a new one instead of a refurbished device and asked him if I could keep the accessories as well which you can! Just gotta send back the device. ( although the reps tell you to send everything back, they don't charge u if u don't return a cable for charging the device).

Now until this new one comes in, I have no way of making any calls or receive calls. Can only text which isn't that bad. Just kinda feel useless as this is a way I communicate with family, friends and clients. As you can see, this is the only phone which has given me so many problems. I have seen worse ( S8 devices coming in damaged, not even turning on, microphone not working and such).

Hopefully this new one has no issues. Once again I want to thank Jason and his manager / supervisor which were able to cancel a refurbished model being sent out and sending me a new one!
I've Been Here Awhile

The North American spec S8 uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC which includes an FM receiver. An app called NextRadio can playback from the FM radio. Unfortunately, Rogers disables the FM radio, probably due to the customer insulting motivation of increasing data bandwidth consumption. I purchased an unlocked S8+ directly from Samsung, with an enabled FM radio. On use of a Rogers SIM, the phone downloaded Rogers specific firmware which disabled the FM.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @doubrown

Yeah unfortunately it's up to the carriers and manufacturers to enable it. It all depends on them sadly.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hey guys, coming from an iPhone with visual voicemail, does The S8/Android on Rogers support Visual Voicemail, or voicemail to text?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gp-se

Unfortunately Rogers does not support Android Visual Voicemail ATM. There is a enhanced Voicemail to text option though. Contact Rogers to have that added!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

cool thanks dude, I'll give them a call to add voicemail to text.