Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Reservation numbers / Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Reservation numbers / Questions

Hello @gp-se

Its called Premium Voicemail-to-Text. Ask for that and they will add it for u 🙂
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the latest update that I got a few days ago I noticed a few problems. First off, LTE reception/bars is lower than before in the same areas, where before the update I had full reception. I'm guessing they made changes to carrier aggregation and how the phone connects to towers, perhaps biasing/tuning the phone to certain frequencies. 

But more importantly today my phone showed 4 bars of reception, but the phone said "emergency calls only" and I couldn't send any text messages or make/receive phone calls. I had to turn air plane mode on and off to join the Rogers network again. 

The weird part is, back when I had an S6 years ago I had similar issues, and always blamed the Samsung Shannon Modem, but my S8 is Qualcomm. My old S6 would say emergency calls only and I would miss calls, and I know there was a big thread with lots of people with the same issue. The issue with the S6 also only affected Rogers, which is why I thought it was an incompatibility with Samsung Shannon and Rogers network. 

Anyone else notice these issues after the latest update? My phone was working perfect when it was running the June firmware. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@gp-se

I've not had any issues like that at all in Vancouver area on the latest update.  I'm frequently downtown in many different buildings (consultant), and signal strength is always hit and miss for me regardless of phone.  Something in the buildings and coatings on the windows makes them act like Faraday cages, but signals have been pretty solid on the S8+ for me.  It's only around my home area where I drop calls on a regular basis, but that's due to where my house is placed.  It's right on the edge of a couple of towers.  If I go 1/2 a block to the east, I get full bars, but in my house, I'm typically around 1 to 2 bars and if I pace around when on calls, it will drop them.  This happens on every phone, not just the S8+

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gp-se

You aren't the only one. I noticed the same thing at my work and near my home. After the update the signals have gone down hill from then on.

I did a factory reset, contacted Samsung but nothing so far. Apperantly no one has complained about it. Most likely to do with Rogers and their signals.

However the battery has been amazing so far and the option to remove the navigation bar has been a success for me other then the signal issue.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @gp-se

You aren't the only one. I noticed the same thing at my work and near my home. After the update the signals have gone down hill from then on.

I did a factory reset, contacted Samsung but nothing so far. Apperantly no one has complained about it. Most likely to do with Rogers and their signals.

However the battery has been amazing so far and the option to remove the navigation bar has been a success for me other then the signal issue.

@Meowmix Good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing the signal issues. My battery life hasn't changed, but I always got good battery life with this phone.

The signal issue is what concerns me, hopefully Rogers does some testing and figures out what the issue is, I'm tempted to revert back to the June firmware. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gp-se

I thought of doing that my self but I am waiting to see what testing they are doing and If they will fix this issue.

Being in my home with big windows or even outside in the backyard getting 2 bars when I was getting full bars is making me worried.

I was checking on reverting back but the battery life for me is making me not to.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @gp-se

I thought of doing that my self but I am waiting to see what testing they are doing and If they will fix this issue.

Being in my home with big windows or even outside in the backyard getting 2 bars when I was getting full bars is making me worried.

I was checking on reverting back but the battery life for me is making me not to.

@Meowmix What's holding me back from reverting to the June firmware is the security patches, I always like having the latest security updates. I'm also noticing I have 1-2 bars of LTE, whereas before the update I had full bars.

The only thing I can think of causing this is the phone isn't connecting to the same amount of towers, or the same bands as before the update. Perhaps they tweaked the priority of bands the phone locks onto, and messed with CA.

Only Samsung/Rogers will have the answer, but I really hope they release an updates soon, because having my phone say "emergency calls only" and not being able to make calls or send texts is a BIG ISSUE.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gp-se

Its 6:39am and I am at work. Mostly windows around. Going from LTE to G and then E in the matter of half an hour and then back to LTE. Draining the battery by 10% doing this. Been watching it for the past half an hour or so. So it's getting to the point if they don't fix this, unfortunately I will be selling this phone as I can't have a device which does this.

I wonder what's going. Could be what you are saying but only way to know is if Rogers says something to us letting us know.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

Just a reminder, the August Security patch has been released as of this Morning for the S8 and S8+!

I'm happy to see we are getting them this quick!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix wrote:
Hey guys!

Just a reminder, the August Security patch has been released as of this Morning for the S8 and S8+!

I'm happy to see we are getting them this quick!

I just installed it, it's awesome that we're only a week behind. I was reading last week about the new update, and this week we got it! So much better than the "old" days when we would wait months for an update.

It seems this update fixes the LTE issues I experienced with the last update, because I have Full LTE bars again at home. With the last update at home I would have 1-2 bars of LTE, now I'm back to full bars!