cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Reservation numbers / Questions

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hey everyone!!Smiley Happy

Once again its the time of the year that Samsung announces their new Galaxy S line up. I am happy to announce that Samsung this morning announced the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+!. The device has a breathe taking new design which includes 88% screen ration, S8 is 5'7 inch screen and the S8+ is 6'2 inch screen, Fingerprint sensor on the back and new Snapdragon processor. Also comes in different colors and includes more features!! 

1). Once Rogers has announce when they will add the Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ to the reservation list & the day comes, sign into your My Rogers account - Click on the account you want to access ( Some have multiple accounts ) - click on your number ( if you have multiple numbers) - scroll down and click on Device Reservation. Click that & it will take you to the page. Once there you will need to pick which device you want and it wil,l show you a list which will include the Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ in Black and what other colors they may release it on. You also need to pick the store you want it to go too. Just to make it clear, reservations are for current Rogers wireless customers which have contracts with them. Rogers will put up the Pre order list for people that want to pre order the phone which have no wireless accounts with Rogers. Also just too add below is the meaning of the statues . The reservation list is different statues and numbers for all models / colors and groups ( Business, Consumer and pre orders have different line ups and numbers.)

- If your status is "OPEN", your reservation has been made and we are awaiting product from our supplier. At this time you can change your pick-up location, contact email address or cancel your reservation.
- If your status is "CANCELLED", your reservation has been cancelled and your reservation fee will be credited back to your account.
- If your status is "IN PROGRESS", we have begun the shipment process and you will not be able to edit or cancel your reservation any longer. The next email you will get will be the one that confirms shipment to the store you chose.
- If your status is "SHIPPED", your device has left our warehouse and is on its way to the store you chose. Keep in mind that you can NOT reserve a device via calling them or going to the store. It can ONLY happen if the reservation system is down but they will to reserve it via online. Plus if you reserve it via phone, you will NOT see your status or know what number you are VS reserving it online. The store can help you log into ur account and let u do it but there is no pre order list in store.

2). Please keep in mind that if you pick a Rogers Authorized dealership, you may not be able to get the device soon after it ships. This has been the main issue with all the iPhone reservations & most of the other devices which have been on the reservation system. I would suggest you pick a Local Rogers store (Corporate Rogers store or Rogers Plus) to go to get it. When the Rogers warehouse sends it out, the Rogers stores will get them first. Some of the Rogers Authorized dealers have their own warehouse in which the devices will go to. After that there is no tracking until the device ships from that warehouse & goes to the store & they call you. You can also look for your FlexTab aka upgrade fee online via My Rogers or contact Rogers & they will let you know.

3). Also remember you are going to have to put down a $40 fee to reserve the device. Once it ships out, the $40 fee will be reversed back into your account. IF you want to cancel your reservation, that $40 will also be credit back to you. So either way you will get that $40 back. Also remember you may NOT be the first to get the phone if you have a high number or a low one. The Reservation system is made to have a device reserved for you as the stores will be sold out. If your reservation status still says “ OPEN” after launch & a store has a device in stock, you can still go in the store & get it. Then come back home & cancel the reservation online. If the status is “ IN PROGRESS” & you get a device via a store that have one for u, you have to wait until it ships out & then tell the store that u picked u do not want it. Do reemember the reservation number is CANADA - WIDE. This means if lets say you are #45 in line for the black one, you are #45 for that GB , color & model Canada wide. Also keep in mine you have to be the account holder in order to pick up the device at the store. No one else can. You can try adding a family member as Level on the account but some stores will decline it.

4) .For Corporate / Business customers. You guys will have a different line then regular customers do. This means you guys have a few different statutes then regular customers do. Also keep in mind for the past few years there has been issues / confusen about business customers getting the phones via the reservation. You guys will be getting them the day of launch or after depending on your status & what goes on.

Let's make this thread the only thread for the devices please and if you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me and I'll gladly be able to help Smiley Happy

EDIT - The phone is available in Midnight Black and Orchid Gray in Canada. Maple Gold, Tactic Silver and Coral Blue, along with Midnight Black and Orchid Gray colour variants will be available in the U.S. and other markets. 

So sadly we are only getting the Midnight Black and Orichrd Gray in Canada. Later on we will get the other colors hopefully. 

EDIT 2 - In Canada the S8 is set to start at $1,035 CAD with the S8+ costing $1,115. Carrier pricing is not avialable  at the moment. Soon it will be. 

EDIT 3 - April 21st is when the S8 / S8+ will be launched!

***Edited Labels***

2,931 REPLIES 2,931

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Reservation numbers / Questions

Leslieiswaiting
I plan to stick around
For those who are getting their phones today or shortly.
Charge the phone first ... mine was about 70% it took about 45 min to get to full charge A few more minutes to invest in a long term battery life. I read the quick user guide 😁

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Leslieiswaiting

Never charge ur phone once u get it. Let it die down and then charge it. It's always recommended to do that. If u keep changing it when it's 50% or more, the memory of the battery will start dying down and such. So i would not recommend to start charging it right when u take it out of the box. Just let it run down and then plug it in!

The quick user guide will tell u to do that but it doesn't mean u will get a better battery life. It screws up the charge if u charge it at 50% or 70%. Also never leave it charging overnight as well. The battery university has said that every time u leave it on after it reaches 100%, it trickles small charges to make the battery stay at 100%. Even then it puts the battery on high stress and tension too.

comcry
I plan to stick around
I also thought you were suppose to let it die then charge to a full battery.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @comcry

Never let it hit 0%. Always start charging it around 2-10% instead. That's the way I know it for years and mt batteries have lasted better and more then when charging it right out of the box.

Samsung just says that so u can use the phone when u get it but on the Note 7 manual and S6 manual it tells u to let it die down first then charge it.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Meowmix

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Leslieiswaiting

Never charge ur phone once u get it. Let it die down and then charge it. It's always recommended to do that. If u keep changing it when it's 50% or more, the memory of the battery will start dying down and such. So i would not recommend to start charging it right when u take it out of the box. Just let it run down and then plug it in!

The quick user guide will tell u to do that but it doesn't mean u will get a better battery life. It screws up the charge if u charge it at 50% or 70%. Also never leave it charging overnight as well. The battery university has said that every time u leave it on after it reaches 100%, it trickles small charges to make the battery stay at 100%. Even then it puts the battery on high stress and tension too.

Li-Ion batteries don't suffer from the memory issue that older Ni-Cad batteries had. Li-Ion batteries like to be "topped up" and it's not advised to run them low, running them low damages them.

read here for more info:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

Yes i read that later on. I made a mistake on that one. Thanks.:)

I would still not recommend to do it. That's my advice on all the threads I have made and stand by it :). To each their own though! Again i have done this to all my devices as i said and never had any battery issues other then the G4 which has major battery issues to begin with. On the Note 7 manual it showed to actually charge it before it hits 5% on the first charge. Then Samsung flipflops.

All my devices that I have had and done this with last me well over 15 hrs with heavy usage. And I mean heavy usage. This does NOT mean everyone will get the same but sharing my own facts on my device though.

" Your battery will also perform better if you don't let it charge to 100 percent, so take it off the charger at about 80 to 90 percent capacity. Leaving the phone connected to the charger when the phone is completely charged may lower battery life if you do it repeatedly."

That was poste by Samsung tips official page. So Samsung is telling us their customers NOT to charge to 100%? That's not something a customers wants to hear though.

http://techlife.samsung.com/tips-keep-smartphone-charged-1059.html

RAwhite1987
I plan to stick around

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @gp-se

Yes i read that later on. I made a mistake on that one. Thanks.:)

I would still not recommend to do it. That's my advice on all the threads I have made and stand by it :). To each their own though! Again i have done this to all my devices as i said and never had any battery issues other then the G4 which has major battery issues to begin with. On the Note 7 manual it showed to actually charge it before it hits 5% on the first charge. Then Samsung flipflops.

All my devices that I have had and done this with last me well over 15 hrs with heavy usage. And I mean heavy usage. This does NOT mean everyone will get the same but sharing my own facts on my device though.

" Your battery will also perform better if you don't let it charge to 100 percent, so take it off the charger at about 80 to 90 percent capacity. Leaving the phone connected to the charger when the phone is completely charged may lower battery life if you do it repeatedly."

That was poste by Samsung tips official page. So Samsung is telling us their customers NOT to charge to 100%? That's not something a customers wants to hear though.

http://techlife.samsung.com/tips-keep-smartphone-charged-1059.html

All I need to know @Meowmix is if the battery will explode or not. 

If they are so concerned about the battery being fulled charged we are in for a good time.  Korean fire drill?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @RAwhite1987

I actually called the Samsung Experience store and the store manager laughed when I said that. They have had customers ask them about that and said that Samsung only did that after the Note 7 issue. The problem is that why should I not charge it to 100%? The manager said that there isn't anything wrong with doing that and they were never told to tell customers this. Seems like Samsung is making up more nonsense lol. Even if it's true, no one and I mean no one listens to it and let's it charge to 100% anyways. I leave it over night and nothing has happened so far on all the phones including the Note 7.

EDIT - I just called the Samsung rep I dealt with for so long when I worked at Best Buy. He also said they never got advised to say that or actually knew this. He was told to let it run down to around 5-15% and then charge it. He also leaves his phones to charge overnight and to 100% and those are the prototypes he gets and also the ones that get released. He said not to worry about what Samsung writes on the site. Just want to protect them selfs after the Note 7. Lol

Leslieiswaiting
I plan to stick around
Well I look at battery charging this way. The folks at Rogers probably did a test prior to shipping along with IMEI configuration so it's been on and draining before I topped it back up. It's been on at 75% brightness and full Quad HD for around 5 hours doing everything except gaming and it's down to 58%. Charging does keep it warm but it's actually cooler now than when I first turned it on. And by warm I mean it's just warmer than room temp.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Leslieiswaiting

I have mine exactly as urs! The warm is normal as the phones do get a bit warm to charge!

comcry
I plan to stick around
Help. Do I have to use the sim that came with the new phone? Or can I just pop in my old one from my s7 edge?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @comcry

You can use ur existing sim card from the S7 🙂

ColinRaininger
I plan to stick around

Well, when i woke up this morning, i had an email from Rogers saying a change had been made to my account.

Then at 8am I had an email from UPS saying a shipment had been sent out and to expect it between 10am and 2pm.

Then a truck showed up at my door at 11:30am.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I'm itching.

I guess my wait and anxiety is now over.

I wish everyone the best of luck in getting their phones in a timely fashion, and that it does everything you hoped it would do for you!

ColinRaininger
I plan to stick around

I would really like to continue following this thread, and possibly read some posts that I missed about batteries and cases and such - but is there a way to turn off the notification emails?

Leslieiswaiting
I plan to stick around
@Meowmix
One of the side panels is called Device Maintenance. It's full of useful system maintenance stuff I used to have on my S6 Edge. The battery app will display the usage. Mine shows 1 - 2% for everything except Screen is at 20% I wonder how this compares with different settings and the smaller S8.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ColinRaininger

That discussion was done on page 253:)

Also go into Settings via ur profile and it should be there!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Leslieiswaiting

Yup! I have that as well. Actually had that for the S7 and Note 7 too. I am way familiar with all those lol sadly. Haha

comcry
I plan to stick around
Help please. Do I have to use the new sim or can I use my old one from my s7?

Leslieiswaiting
I plan to stick around
@comcry I am using my old SIM. Once i registered to Samsung it seemed to start working but that might have just been a coincidence since I was doing everything at the start.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @comcry

You asked that and I answered it for u above.

You use the same sim card u have currently from the S7. The sim card they include is just there if u so not have a nano sim card or want to start fresh.

comcry
I plan to stick around
@Meowmix

Sorry I was having trouble posting and missed your response. Thanks so much.