Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

Thanks for your answer,

It's the same model for all canadian carrier, which is SM-G920W8..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

change the CSC to Rogers... google samsung csc change

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I don't know if this has been asked before, but why can't VOLTE & WI-FI calling (both supported on Android 6.0.1) coexist with the RON service as well?   I tried to use both in the past and found out you can't have both.  

The ability to place and receive calls on desktop platform like windows and android tablets as an example using same number as cell phone is a very useful feature (although I know it's likely being phased out).   It's useful to be able to do this while working at home office for example.   I would like to still be able to use the VOLTE & WI-FI calling feature as well on phone itself where RON is less useful.   Even if RON is not supported in the long term these newer features do not replace that ability on desktops or separae tablets.   

Hi @techguy001,

When we first developed RON, we couldn't have foreseen that Wi-Fi Calling would end up conflicting as it wasn't yet available on either iOS or Android.

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the Galaxy S6 on 5.1.1 right now and when I go into my settings to do a software update it says I already have the latest updates installed. I tried using Samsung Smart Switch to update and it says the same thing. I also hard reset my phone and still no luck. Tried contacting Samsung and they said I have to wait for my carrier to release it which I know was already released. Anyone in the same boat or know how I can force the update on my phone?

I Plan to Stick Around

Call Rogers. Ask for tech support.
I've Been Here Awhile

I did that. Spoke to Rogers tech support, they said to contact Samsung for support. Not much help from either of them.

I Plan to Stick Around

• Hi Galaxys6,

Where did you get the phone?  Rogers, Bell, Telus or somewhere else?  Or did you buy it used and don't know the history of the phone?  

My guess is one of two things could be preventing your phone from updating OTA.  Either the phone was rooted or changes were made using CSC.  

For CSC info go to following link ==>  http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-change-csc-in-samsung-galaxy-phones/ 

Your best bet is to install the stock firmware using Odin.  Find out which company the phone belongs to - Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc.  Download the appropriate stock firmware (I would download lollipop 5.1.1 then let the phone upgrade to Marshmallow 6.0.1 OTA.  If your phone upgrades to Marshmallow then you know OTA is working again).  Finally, use Odin to flash the stock firmware to your phone.

For firmware upgrade using Odin just do a Google search on "how to install stock firmware on galaxy s6".

Please note that the above solution will wipe all data on your phone so do a complete backup using Samsung Smart Switch.  Also, do a Google backup and if you use Whatsapp don't forget to do a backup before flashing the stock firmware.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi RAL69,

Thanks for your response. This phone was purchased from Rogers brand new. It has never been rooted and I haven't made any CSC changes at all. I just checked the CSC and it is RWC which I assume is Rogers Wireless.

I am not very comfortable in installing the stock firmware myself so I may have to go to a Samsung or Rogers store for support. Thanks for your help.

I Plan to Stick Around

@galaxys6 - using Odin is VERY easy and almost foolproof. I had to use it to update mine because I had the Telus firmware installesd.  Since Smart Switch is detecting your phone we know that you have the proper Window's drivers for your phone.

So, you need to download Odin and the current firmware. I got them here:

The SAM Mobile page link also has a great explanation and video of the steps how to do it. Follow it step by step and you can't get it wrong. Once it started updated I just walked away. When I came back 10 minutes later the phone was "optimising apps" and booted right up after it was done.