Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

Hello @Arkdom & @user4242

They are deleting the posts which have no information or talking about the update for the S6 edge. Talking about other things like leaving Rogers or talking about another carrier is being removed as its not on topic ( Meaning that its not about the S6 edge update). If any posts are not on topic, they tend to be removed. Its not because they do not like them. Some of mine on other threads or my own have been removed because of the same reason.

Thus is what i see the reason to be.

I'm Here A Lot

Time to move to reddit where we are not censored.  See what you've done rogers by not controlling a conversation?  Now you won't be able to control it at all.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @Meowmix,

You know Rogers dropped the ball on this one once again.  For a person with your smarts and knowledge you should be the first person in line to complain to the CRTC instead of defending Rogers.  You should be asking Rogers questions on why they will not release security/OS updates or why they will not address the 1000s of user who are waiting for the updates for months now.  Why no dates???  Instead of "COMING SOON"???

I bileve, the main reason, they are not releasing updates is because of the new WIFI calling feature.  Rogers is trying to implement their version so it is not given out for free and Rogers will try to squeeze some profit out of it somehow.  Will not be surprised if they charge for it sometime in the future.  This is a new nice to have feature not a must have feature.  Rogers could have rolled out the security/OS/bloatware update first then work on integrating their version of WIFI calling at a future date.

You don't have to implement everything at one time.  New features and fixes are being released every few days.  If you take that strategy you will never get anything released.  Marshmallow 6.0.1 is buggy and Samsung is releasing new fixes for it.  

https://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/08/03/samsung-galaxy-marshmallow-problems/    

Is Rogers going to wait to implement these fixes too at the same time so it is easier for the development team?  In that case might as well wait for Nougat and skip Marshmallow altogether.

I Plan to Stick Around

That is something I did not think about. They are probably thinking of a way of charging extra. Arent we already on the most expensive phone provider in Canada? The most important thing on the update for me is battery optimization and security patches. Wifi calling is cool, but no one needs it. Who does not habe a plan with unlimited minutes, at least anyone that has an S6 does. So who cares........... I remember when my Blackberry Z10 had HD calling. At least Blackberry never gave me headaches.
I'm Here A Lot

Why would you highly recommend a page you know is rarely updated?  Once a customer gets an update, there is no value in going to a page to check a schedule.  Perhaps you could post a reply of value to the users of this board?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @darthbr4d & @RAL69

( @RAL69 No i don't work for Rogers nor do I get free stuff for them. I do this on my own and on my own time and I have explained my reasons on other posts.)

Again you can't speak for eveyone. Not everyone is like you and the rest which don't care about the page. Some actually do care about it even after they get a update. The page was information waa posted to help out users. Now you can take that and now care or not even read it but the Mods are doing their job as they are supposed too. You be in their shoes but getting all this hate and heat when they aren't even at fault. Granted they work for Rogers, they are only here to keep the boards in line and make sure all goes well and once they get information, they post it.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @lucasberthault

While I agree with most of your post what is 100% correct , one thing that I do not agree is " no one care about WiFi Calling" you and no one on here can speak about everyone. You can't speak for the ones that actually need WiFi Calling in areas that they don't get either good service or no service at all and only have WiFi in their homes. Again i agree about the update being released this late and all that but many others want thus feature as well. Again as you pay premium for a device to get updates and the services that the manufacturer provides, so do the ones that bought the phone which were told that WiFi would work and the depend on that service in the areas I listed above.

Again the update should come out overall and should not be taking this long but I guess it's due to the WiFi Calling and the bloatware which won't work and needs major work
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @Meowmix,

I don't think you are getting the point people are trying to make.  Rogers can  easily release the Marshmallow updates with the security updates and bug fixes and disable WIFI calling.  At a later date they can implement WIFI calling once they have the problems fixed.

The OS upgrade schedule page is another problem.  It has no useful information for users looking for the Marshmallow upgrade.  They should at least give target dates and reasons for the delay.  All it says is "COMING SOON".  Seeing that "COMING SOON" further infuriates the users.

The third problem is Rogers has been silent through this whole ordeal - further adding insult to injury. 

Believe me once they release the updates everything will be back to normal until the next upgrade.  That is what Rogers is banking on.  After all we are nice Canadians and tend to forgive very easily.  Trust me after the upgrade most users will thank you and the mods and apologize for being so nasty.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RAL69

I get the point on everything here, don't think i don't. Yes they can release the update and disable the features that some want but i guess they see it as its easier for them and the developers to do it all at once instead of doing it separately. That is what i am saying. Should they have sent out the update a long time ago? Of course they should have as many are waiting but again there are other things coming into play here that none of us know. It could be that their own systems are having issues fixing this or maybe the developers are having problems. No one knows. Now again i see your and everyones points and i have said it many times i agree with everything. I just maybe see it differently then some others but i do agree the update should have been released earlier.

Again i have explained WHY they do not give concrete dates on the OS Upgrade thread. They tend not to put dates anymore because of this reason. They used to put dates but sometimes they missed the dates and had users on here getting angry and fighting because of it. So they removed that off. Now they need to figure out a way of getting the updates going on time and without a hitch but again sometimes it does happen ( late upgrades, not as late as this i agree)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The main issue at stake here, and probably the biggest dissapointment, is the sheer lack of respect for the customers coming from Rogers.  There are so many questions about "Why isn't it out yet", but the fundamental question we're having is, why is there no communication.  It's literally a void coming from Rogers.  Heck an admission of "we're having trouble implementing wi-fi calling" would be a  good start, or whatever it is.  Instead of passing the blame to Samsung like they have, which has been proven false, and also the security updates from Samsung have been released, just never pushed out to Rogers users.   - see -  http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html#SMR-AUG-2016 

Samsung is producing security updates regularly.  So it's not them.  Stop blaming them.  they've released 9 monthly security updates since the one that got pushed out to my phone.

Which brings me to the second major point of concern, we're not getting security updates, mine says updated as of November 2015.  There could be major security problems with my phone, that have been fixed, leaving me vulnerable, and Rogers is to blame for the security patches not being released plain and simple.  other major carriers release the security updates why can't Rogers?  

At this point, I could care less about Marshmallow, I've already decided I'm going Nexus for my next phone, even if I do like Samsung's products, at least with the Nexus I know I'm getting up to date security patches.  (a friend has the Nexus 6P on rogers, and Google pushes out the security updates without a problem.)  I don't care about release dates, as I know they're not going to meet them,  RogersDarrell stated a few months ago that one of the other phones was getting it right away (it did) and the rest should follow within a few weeks.  well it's been a few months, and we still don't have it.  so much for the "few weeks".  and as I've said, I'm more worried about the security updates than the OS upgrade really.  There have been a few big issues discovered in the past 9 months that affect lollypop, that have been patched by google and subsequently repackaged by Samsung for the S6, that we never ever see.  This leaves Rogers Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge users vulnerable.  That is unacceptable.  intentionally leaving customers vulnerable to security issues that have been resolved by both the OS vendor, and the hardware vendor, but not being deployed by the provider... That is the major issue here.  And I really want an official statement on WHY they do not release security patches, that's not "oh samsung hasn't made them available to us".  Which I direct you to the above link.  If samsung is holding them back from Rogers, I can look up some corporate lawyers for you if you're too lazy to do that yourself.  I'm sure you could get some big money if they're intentially withholding them.