Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

A $1000+ phone that cannot receive incoming calls at all. It forwards straight to voicemail.

Text messages are even worse. I would receive them several hours after the people respond to my messages.

Rogers is not able to fix this issue for several weeks and is refusing to refund my bill for the period I have this issue which is still ongoing. Rogers blamed Samsung for the update error, however I will blame Rogers entirely because my friend who has a Galaxy S6 Edge with Bell absolutely has no issues.

If a reputed big company takes this long to fix bugs, then maybe I am better off staying with cheap carriers such as mobilicity or windmobile. The reason I have always stayed with Rogers even with the pricier plans is because I was under the false impression that big companies such as Rogers, Bell and Telus are the best for premium smart phone service in Toronto. The issues I have been going through for the past few weeks clearly shows that I am wrong.

Time to switch to Bell, Telus or a cheap carrier. I will give Rogers 1 more week before I make this move. It is so bad that I have texted all my friends that "I am currently not able to answer your calls due to a rogers technical error that they are trying to fix for over two weeks and counting". Those were the exact words I texted and I have received a similar message from three other friends.

If Rogers cares at all about its reputation, they should fix this issue immediately. You have several software engineers on your end who can investigate this and identify the solution to the bug by now. 

I have tried the following which are USELESS: 

1. Turned off the phone and restarted after 5 minutes

2. Turned off the phone, removed the SIM card, placed it back in and restarted after 5 minutes.

3. Turned off the phone, and restarted after a few hours.

4. Turned off voLTE by going to application>phone>....

5. Changed the signal type - LTE, GSM, H....

6. Disconnected from the network manually and searched and connected back to Rogers

I will NOT do a hard reset to downgrade the firmware as it is a waste of time for me to reconfigure all my apps, lose settings or saved profiles and games. Not to mention, I have to reorganize all my widgets and apps.

Your job now is to work with your incompetent software engineers team to release another new update which will fix this bug immediately. If you fail to do this in a week, pay a few million to Samsung or Google and seek assistance from them. Every friend I know who has Samsung S6 with ROGERS has this issue, so it is a 100% failure of all incoming calls randomly.

Also note, everyone who called Rogers with this issue should be refunded their monthly bill for the period they stated as experiencing this issue. After one week if I see absolutely no progresss and no refund of any sort for failing to provide the service, I will file a complaint with the CRTC along with my friends. CRTC should fine you for your negligence and force you to refund the bill to all Samsung S6 users who have upgraded their phone to Android 5.1.1

squippo
I've Been Here Awhile

my phone seem fine after i switch the LTE off for the pass week. but I still dont like that i switch from Telus to Rogers and I was force to use their 4G network because of their incompetent. I wonder how many of you guys here had file a complaint to CRTC and see if Rogers will actually fixing the problem

Enforcement
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Samsung S6 64G. I did the update the day after the update came out and everything went very well. My phone is working perfectly. The phone if fluid and fine and the battery is just fine also. Not a single problem with any apps, phone calls or messages. I feel for the customers that are having problems but I just wanted to mention that the update did work perfectly on Rogers for some phones. I am not a Rogers emplyee and I don't own ant part of Rogers and as a matter of fact I often have my share of problems with them. I guess the gist of this message is that my phone is not routed or tampered with in any way, not saying that people did that, and the update was just fine. I also feel there are many other customers out there who are contented and dont have the time to spend on this message board. I also do not beleive that Bell has absolutely no problems with this update.  I have to cut Rogers some slack here.

I hope the problem gets resolved soon.

phoneswapper
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Note 5 and am seeing many of the same issues.  I am also seeing Bluetooth issues including the phone dropping it's connection to my Moto 360 watch and garbled phone call audio on Bluetooth in my car (heard by the other party).  I went to my local Rogers store (who have always been very helpful) and was advised that this recent update is likely the culprit.  While I can appreciate that Samsung may have a bug in their code, Rogers and any other carrier test all firmware releases before pushing them to their customers.  These arent iPhones!  Take some ownership and fix the issues.  Asking customers to turn off their LTE is rediculous!  We pay to have these services and data speeds!  If slow connectivity didnt matter I would pay 1/3 of what I pay and go back to Wind! 

kh29
I Plan to Stick Around

hi, how are you? i have a question my brother has s6 edge from bell he has 5.0.2 and still waiting for 5.1.1 , but rogers released already . what is the hold up and bell said early oct but next week oct is over

Laurenholzschuh
I've Been Around

Honestly the same thing has been happening to me. I have a galazy s6 and around 5 to 7pm I don't get any of my texts at the time they weren't sent. It has been really bad for the last week.

Is there a solution to this

zeroz3hereo
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm I have been experiencing the same issues with texts not coming through when they should be aswell over the last week.

ouija
I'm Here A Lot

I am having this very same issue, except I have the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+, and my phone came with Android 5.1.1.

After spending the majority of my day arguing with Rogers representatives, both on the phone and in store, I've still yet to resolve the issue.  I've been pretty much without service for the past 2 weeks, with little hope for a resolution.

Suggestions by Rogers have been the exact same as outlined in this thread (changing network settings, restarting phone, restting phone, re-inserting sim, using different sim, blah blah blah) with NO improvement.

My phone is not even 2 months old and is little more than a  paperweight.

Rogers has given me nothing but the runaround, stating I can bring the phone into Samsung for repair or use my own device protection (at an additional cost of $200 to me) to get the phone replaced.

I will NOT be remaining as a Rogers customer, and will likely be cancelling my contract outright (at and ADDITIONAL cost of over $450) should I not be able to rectify this issue by the end of the week.

I have written a letter to the Rogers Obudsman AND to Guy Laurence(Rogers CEO) to vent my frustrations with this issue, and I urge you all to do the same here: https://www.rogers.com/web/content/contactus

Rogers needs to be held accountable for this issue.

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around

Talking with Rogers is like fighting with the wind; the nicest thing was when they try to reach me and all calls have gone to the voice mail, with notifications arriving after 36 hours. They can believed it was so worst.

I just filled up an complaint with crtc thru ccst (Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services Inc.) and I strongly suggest that all of you do the same.

next step is calling the Consumer Protection Bureau of Quebec, there is no way this can continue like this for weeks and month until someone start working on the problem. You can do the same in your respective provinces.

I still have to find some time and patience to call the customer services, to ask them if I still have to pay the full bill for the weeks without service.

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I too am experiencing issues since I received this update but my issues are narrower than what I read here.   My S6 phone is only a few months old now.  

The only problem I'm seeing is loss of calls.  A few times a week now I will receive calls that go right to voice mail.  No ring at all.  I'm in Toronto with strong signals and I always have my phone with me.   Not all calls do this.  It's randomly happening.  The worst kind of problem to identify.   I do know that this wasn't happening on my S6 with 5.0.2 before this update.  

I haven't bothered to call into Rogers as I expect to get the same run around I read about here.   Not sure what my next move will be yet.   This is clearly  a software problem that should receive an update but since Google cannot send updates directly to our phones I sure hope Rogers figures this out quickly and get an update to us soon.   I wonder if there is a way for me to force a previous update somehow.