Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Hello @funky-Munky

I suspect that all carriers got that update and didn't realize that issue and released it. Bell users are complaining about the same thing
cstl3722
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello guys

I've updated my s6 to 5.1.1 on september 3rd and I don't experience any bug, I juste disabled the voLTE option in the phone menu.
kdocouto
I've Been Here Awhile

Android 6.0 Marshmallow is being announced this Tuesday with the next Nexus devices and we're still waiting for 5.1.1. How sad is this *sigh*

Mrnovanova
I Plan to Stick Around

No offence kdocouto but that has nothing to do with Rogers samsung maybe but not Rogers. I was surprised when I heard about the 1st Android M rumours. 5.0 was buggy 5.0.2 was still buggy 5.1.1 adresses most bugs but the memory management issue is still present. They never actually fixed lollipop's shortcomings and now they're coming out with Marshmallow? They need to stop the press and let OEM's catch up. It's always going to be this way. Anyway if you want the latest from Android get a nexus device. Simple.
ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

^Agreed @Mrnovanova - I think Google is getting Marshmallow, maybe because it is fully cooked in the campfire? with no bugs or issues that lollipop came with? (failed pun i know)
Mrnovanova
I Plan to Stick Around

I hope so @ShakTiburon. Do you remember when they announced lollipop it was supposed to be amazing at optimizing battery life. I think they called it project Volta. What a fail that was...
ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Haha... I didn't know that! The irony of it all.

I would go Nexus personally, if Google made it themselves. Something about different branded Nexus makes me not trust it.
kdocouto
I've Been Here Awhile

Google pushes the update, companies who run android on their devices tweak the update to their liking (often adding their skin), and then it gets pushed to carriers whom spend about a month pretending to refine it when really they just want to add their own apps and hold back certain features. The memory management is not entirely google's problem because if you were to use any other devices that are currently running 5.1.1 other than Samsung's you would see how they handle their memory much better. Im not sure if you're aware but companies like Motorola are extrememly quick with releasing updates but of course carriers wanted to add even more bloatware, causing consumers to get it much later.  So why should Google halt new features and big fixes when its not their fault some OEM's are slow and carriers are even slower. You basically contradicted yourself by saying the lollipop bugs have not been adressed in 5.1.1 (which we still dont have), and even if theyre fixed in 6.0 Google should wait to put it out there because carriers still haven't released the buggy 5.1.1 update. How does that make any sense? It's not always going to be this way if carriers learn just as OEM's have with the lollipop update. So of course, people like you and I who are sick of the terrible memory management and stanby battery drain are going to have to wait another month just for rogers to push the 5.1.1 update, and then have to wait another 2-3 months for 6.0 when OEM's are going to be releasing 6.0 in a couple of weeks. It's just really sad.

kdocouto
I've Been Here Awhile

what...
Mrnovanova
I Plan to Stick Around

@kdocouto. You're absolutely right. For the record my poor memory management comment is for my note 5. I don't have those issues on my LG G4 nor my S6 edge which is rooted and running 5.1.1 so perhaps it is in actuality a sammy issue. As for everything else you said. You are 100% right. My mistake. Cheers. 😊