Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

@rh52 wrote:

I am yet to be convinced that the latest version of 5.1.1 is worth installing. There are mixed opinions on this forum from people who have installed the November 16th version.

It looks like only about 10 people using this forum say they've installed it.  There must be more.

Let's please see a show of hands as to how many people are using the November 16th version and if you are satisfied.

Thanks!

I would update to it strictly for the security updates, the best method seems to be:

-Download and install Samsung Smart Switch software for your PC

-Plug the phone in and update the firmware directly from the program

-Once updated factory reset\wipe the phone, then set the phone up\install apps, etc.

-After 30mins power the phone off for 10mins so it can provision itself on the network, then power the phone back up.

Everything (VoLTE and Video Calling) should be working correctly using this method.

The factory reset\data wipe seems to be the key in getting it all to work correctly.

I'm Here A Lot

@pgrwl2013 wrote:
I have receive update, but I am still not getting good connection (can't make phone calls) and no longer get LTE (at best I get 4G).

But yet, Rogers expect me to pay "premium" for their service. Scary thing is WIND has better coverage and data speed compare to Rogers (non-LTE) network in my area (I am former WIND customer).

At this point, I might file a complaint with CRTC about this issue since Rogers customer service reps have been useless.

So I went to Rogers store and I got new SIM after Rogers store rep did some testing (nothing wrong with phone).   So far, new SIM didn't improve much (at least I can make calls more often than before though).   Rogers store rep told me go to Samsung store to get fixed if I still have issues with the phone.   

I guess Rogers now passing on blame to Samsung if their store reps telling customers go to Samsung to fix this issue.   

I Plan to Stick Around

I am very satisfied with the update. I can understand some folks are being sceptical but this update has no side effects and fixes what it needs to.

Call and Txt issues are gone.
OS is smooth along with better memory management. Battery life is great.
I did have to reset for VoLTE to work which sucks a bit but can confirm that now all calls are going over LTE.
I Plan to Stick Around

So did the update and all went well in the sense it installed. From there the issue of VoLTE is still not working. Yes I followed the "wonderful" instrustions here and as fun as having to dump all my data back and resetup my phone I was not surprised to see it still fail and drop LTE to 4G when a call was made.

Yes tried at work, home and ever where between there and it still doesn't work. "MAJOR FAIL" on both Rogers and Samsung, I'll waste more time on this issue and talk to some grunt at Rogers who doesn't even know about the issue or products sold but hey why not, it's not like I have anything better to do.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @ AccordXTC I was having the same issues with calls dropping to 4g instead of staying on LTE and wasnt able to make video calls also, tried alot of things but then tried putting my phone in Airplane mode, but (make sure its connected to LTE before hand) then turned Airplane mode off, I was then able to make a call over LTE and video calling is now working, ..If it doesnt work try again, worked for me.
I've Been Around

I purchased two S6 handheld. The network is dropping calls & I am receiving calls to Voice-mail
Reported issue to Technical Support. Apparently issues reported with the latest Android update. Cannot locate 3G/GSM settings under Mobile Network. Help needed as I am missing phone calls going straight to voice-mail. I was a long term Bell customer & never experienced any of these type of issues with my previous Samsung S4 using Android. Very disappointed in the quality of service . I have placed numerous calls with an Interaction ID reported to HO for callback. I never did receive a return call since I activated with Rogers. PLEASE HELP!

I've Been Around

Question to everyon who already upgraded to latest version 

Are you still able to get Voice calls while your DATA-OFF ?

What type of Network Mode you use (by default - GSM/HSPA/LTE or GSM/HSPA) ?

VoLTE option Disabled or Enabled in Call settings ?

Because I found that after first SWU (few month ago, when VoLTE feature was activated) I wasn't able to recieve any Voice calls while my DATA was OFF. ONLY in that moment when DATA-ON I can get them. 

Just disabling VoLTE options in Call setting not helped, the problem is in SRVCC call flow (core Network can't proceed properly PS core detach) So, I just change my Network Mode to GSM/HSPA and only that mode I was successed to recieve calls while DATA-OFF.

I've Been Around

I don't see that as an option and I have 5.1.1. Installed
I Plan to Stick Around

My Phone seems to be working properly now...  I had to do the Factory Reset and that seemed to do the trick.

I've Been Around

I'm getting messages from Rogers saying I have an update to do but can't seem to find where I do it ?!