Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

I think that update was only for Samsung S6 and S6 edge not for S6 edge plus... coz only s6 and edge got that problem not plus thats might be a reason you havent got the update..
I've Been Here Awhile

No wonder Samsung stocks and sales have gone down. Who wants to buy a phone at full price and still have it locked.
I have issues with Apple too. Chips on their lightening cables is just plain greed. That was one of the reasons I switched but I find app and voice commands do work better with Iphone.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @ch33rez

That is true but a small update was pushed out a come weeks back for that one if I am not mistaken.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jon604

Unfortunately that is what most manufacturers are doing.. Sony, Apple and Microsoft were and still are ( Apple and Microsoft) selling outright devices. Samsung seems to have contracts with carries to have them locked to them only. Then charge you to unlock the device.

Chips on the lighting cable? Brand new or did u notice it after u used it.. Mine are fine but again not eveything is perfect. Some are lemons as we call them.
I Plan to Stick Around

A final note and thankyou (no, not to Rogers).

I managed in October to get a replacement for my 1 week old S6 at my local Rogers shop, after the bad October 5.1.1 update messed me up (surprise: I could not receive texts or calls). They treated it as a defective phone since Rogers shops and service did not yet seem to know how widespread the 5.1.1 problem was. After that I found this forum and appreciated the many customers who helped clarify the problem and the workarounds.

I have been using Rogers for 20 years, and this was the worst and longest cell phone event. I definitely felt that Rogers provided insufficient truthfulness, testing, account cost adjusting, awareness-building, timeline providing, official proclamations on rogers.com, customer service/interdepartment synchronizing, communicating to known S6 owners, or acknowledging just how much trouble the multi-month 5.1.1 problem had caused for Rogers customers (and the people who couldn't reach us). It was, absolutely, the worst cell phone disfunction I have been part of, and I was very close to ditching Rogers and switching to (gasp) an iPhone or Nexus so that there wasn't a middle man (Samsung) in the operating system chain.

Rogers can blame Samsung all they want. There were many ways that Rogers could have handled the whole problem more professionally (see the list in the previous paragraph). Rogers really seemed out of their depth, both technically and organizationally, and I continue to feel disappointed.

I was relieved when the November update started to look good, but again there was no official communication from Rogers to me that it was sorted out (They know our email addresses - they could have let each S6 owner know; and I had gone to their support area). I had to find out from customers here on this forum that the November update was good. Thank you 🙂

I held off installing the good/final November 5.1.1 update until last week. I just didn't feel like messing with it, and had gotten used to ignoring the 2 daily reminders and persistent notification area message.

So a few days ago I carefully backed up my phone, and did a Factory Data Reset. That kept me at 5.0.2, and removed the persistent and bad October 5.1.1 notification. I reinstalled my main apps, and within 2 hours received a fresh notification that the good, November update was available. I installed that, and it went well.  I did not fiddle with any Volte settings or anything.

I have now been running for a week and have not had any problems. Texts and calls get through to me. Hey, my cell phone works! 😉

Thanks again to the many customers who contributed to this forum.

And Rogers... I sincerely hope you learned about 10 big lessons from this misadventure.

I've Been Around

Hi everyone! I am trying to figure out which update is free of the call/text problems. Is G920W8VLU3BOJ7 the one to use?
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes that is the latest update and issues are fixed.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm, I've been on BOJ7 for quite a while now and my phone is functioning flawlessly!
I Plan to Stick Around

By the sounds of it I am the only one that is still having issues with this phone. Did all the factory resets, new sims card, pat my head and rub my stomach and this phone still drops call,kick me off the network doubles up on the text messages, everything that it did before the update. Rogers sent me a refurb and after a week it is doing the same thing. Is no one else haveing this issue

I Plan to Stick Around

The only issue im still having is the double texts sometimes..