Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Hello @hhhh3

That is correct. Carrier stores and even Samsung store won't do it as its not a Canadian Model.

You could try searching on Google or checking out XDA and flash and root the software into ur device.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

do you know a good walkthrough (easy enough for n00bs?) or possibly a contact/store where this can be done?

i asked 2 stores in etobicoke today about rooting and they dont do it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@hhhh3 what is your model number?  For example, G920F or G9200.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If the Samsung store won't do it for free you should tell them that they shouldn't sign contracts with the carriers that prevents them from selling phones directly to the customers in Canada.

Unlike Iphones, you cannot buy any factory unlocked phones from Samsung directly in Canada. I found out about this nonsense when I tried to buy the S5 directly from Samsung for full price.

Anyway..... After everything I have been through I will either switch to a nexus phone or iPhone the next time I upgrade.

If a manufacturer depends entirely on the carriers to sell their products and managing updates they simply don't deserve my money.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Annayya wrote:
If the Samsung store won't do it for free you should tell them that they shouldn't sign contracts with the carriers that prevents them from selling phones directly to the customers in Canada.

Unlike Iphones, you cannot buy any factory unlocked phones from Samsung directly in Canada. I found out about this nonsense when I tried to buy the S5 directly from Samsung for full price.

Anyway..... After everything I have been through I will either switch to a nexus phone or iPhone the next time I upgrade.

If a manufacturer depends entirely on the carriers to sell their products and managing updates they simply don't deserve my money.

Well said.  

As for my S6, I currently got Rogers to take it to their repair centre to fix phone.   Hopefully they will be able to fix it or else I will have to root S6.   

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Annayya

Well said. It all starts with you though. If you support those manufacturers that rather go with the carriers to do updates then there really isn't much for someone to complain about u. Hopefully when ur next upgrade comes to choose wiser and go with Nexus or Apple. This is one of the main reasons why I stick to Apple or BlackBerry ( you can also get updates without carriers approval. Just need to download the file).
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

still waiting for the latest update, been 6 weeks now, been talking to rogers but they still think there is a update coming coming from samsung, im on 5.1.1 build (OK5). im looking for some info about this because this has been brutal trying to fix my issues. i have a open ticket which has been issued for a week now and still no body has call me about my lost data, texting issues, drop calls. i have my cell on gsm where thats the only way my phone works. HELP!!!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Do you have the ability to do the update via computer?
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @bananica

Have you tried downloading Samsung Kies on your laptop or desktop and see if you can get the update that way?
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Samsung s6 edge plus uses smart switch not kies. And no update still.