Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

@paulwatkins wrote:
Personally I can live without VoLTE indefinitely. If you really need a quick fix that's solid... it's been out for years already... it's called SKYPE and is has a much larger user base. 😉

SKYPE uses data or requires Wifi. It is also not perfect, I have seen audio and video lag or out of sync, low quality video, pixelation, freezing and so on.

voLTE video calling is FREE and does not consume any data from your data plan, and does not require Wifi. I can't comment on the quality yet as I didnt test it but since its rolled out by the carrier directly, I am assuming it would be near perfect quality.

However, I rather not have voLTE than deal with the other issues we experienced over the past two months. But, I want Rogers to update their voLTE page saying that they have disabled the feature (if they really did) and also release a new press release or update the current press release stating the same. What this means is that Rogers has given up on solving the problems to allow voLTE to be enabled.

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

We all have our preferences, Skype's always worked well for me and fits fine within my data plan for the amount I use it.

Also, always seems to work well for CNN Smiley Happy

Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

@paulwatkins wrote:
We all have our preferences, Skype's always worked well for me and fits fine within my data plan for the amount I use it.

Also, always seems to work well for CNN Smiley Happy

Your argument is baseless towards having to use skype only for video calls and you are understating the demand for having voLTE feature enabled.

If that is the case, then none of us need any voice plans. There are so many apps that allow people to talk to each other for free. We should all just have data plans.

I am also not saying that I absolutely need voLTE (as resolving the other issues like missing calls is more important), but if Rogers is not able to provide voLTE for any reason or requires a few months to roll this feature out again, they should update their voLTE info page as it clearly states that voLTE works for Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.

"What phones are compatible with VoLTE?

The LG Vigor; the Samsung GS6, GS6 edge, GS6 edge+ and Note 5; and the LG G4 are all currently compatible."

darkadam
I'm Here A Lot

I mean... the thing is, Rogers just can't just go disabling features...  That's not fixing anything...  

Where do we draw the line????  What if there was a problem with just making normal calls?  Rogers can't just decide to disable the calling feature...   Could you imagine...  "There you go, your phone is fixed... you just can't make calls anymore".  Or maybe they would do that... lol.  In my opinion, video calling is no different.  A feature is a feature, whether it's one you use or not.   That could also be the reason in fact that some of us decided to go with Rogers and the S6, because maybe we were excited about being able to do this finally.  I thought it was pretty sweet personally...

Now... If there are other phones out there that were unaffected by this disaster and they get to continue to use video calling and I don't, that would not be fair.  And compared to someone who has the same plan as me and paying the same, why should they have access to more features then me?  

Rogers sold me this phone saying it was the latest and greatest phone at the time and said I would be able to do video calling...  So regardless of how often I use the feature, I'm paying for it, and I want that feature to be available.

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

Annayya... I have no argument at all, just stating what works for me. Video is really not that important to me. Hopefully, everything works out for you.

ch33rez
I Plan to Stick Around

Annayya, i will personally request rogers to update their page to satisfy you 🙂
paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

Well dark, actually that's how this thread got started.. they released an update and we couldn't make calls.. err receive calls actually. And it wasn't just Rogers it was across every network... and so we all got angry and complained because it was a real problem. Guess what... they fixed it!! and exactly on the date they said they would fix it by. Now, I'll be the first one to say they handled it poorly and the communication / customer service was lacking, but we all made a bunch of noise and they did respond. VoLTE is bleeding edge technology and maybe it's not quite ready for prime time, I don't know.. but I'm sure they're working on it.. as long as it doesn't mess up my phone while they do, it doesn't really bother me.

Life's too short to sweat the small stuff buddy... I'm sure they're working on it.
Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

@ch33rez wrote:
Annayya, i will personally request rogers to update their page to satisfy you 🙂

I know what I am asking sounds silly but the reason for that is because companies like to boast about their acheivements such as implementing the voLTE feature before anyone else to remain competitive in the market. Such as this press release. This way they can retain existing customers and attract new customers as darkadam has mentioned.

What they fail to do is when there are issues such as what we have experienced for 2 months, and now find out a feature that was enabled is being disabled to fix something else, you don't see them releasing an apology statement or press releases outlining the difficulties faced to remove a feature that was once enabled.

I also know a friend who is a developer at Telus, and he mentioned that Telus has also been considering and working on voLTE for several months, but they haven't rolled it out yet. I am sure the richest company of all, Bell is also doing some work on voLTE. Rogers rushed into something it wasn't properly prepared for and they should accept their mistake.

eightdown
I Plan to Stick Around

Some of you guys really make me laugh with your complacency. Rogers fixes one issue by disabling another and even though it's not a critical feature, it is a feature nonetheless. You find it hard to understand why people would be upset and that "life is too short". Well, we don't understand how you can sit back and not care. I for one would like all the features to work without sacrifice. I feel that i am within my right to sweat the small stuff when it comes to my money.
gp-se
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

VoLTE works on Rogers, so does WiFi calling, but only on Apple iPhones. So it's not a matter of Rogers Network not supporting the feature, it's Samsung having firmware issues with Canadian Carriers causing the issue. I have an iPhone, all my calls use VoLTE without issue, doesn't matter who I'm calling, every call stays on LTE, also I have WiFi calling when I connect to WiFi.

I'm sure Samsung had to disable VoLTE and Video Calling so you guys can receive phone calls/texts, eventually they'll add the feature back, but for now they released this quick fix. Perhaps when they push out Marshmellow it'll contain working VoLTE and Video Calling, as I'm sure Samsung is putting more rescources in that update than supporting 5.1.1