Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update for Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge users

Some of you have been experiencing connectivity issues with your Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge devices over the past couple of weeks and we’re happy to report that a fix is on the way.

We’ve been working around the clock with Samsung to get the right fix in place and starting November 16th it will be rolling out in phases over November 16th to 30th – If you’re wondering, the root cause is related to the latest Samsung Android 5.1.1 update.

It’s taken longer than we had hoped to get here and we appreciate your patience. Fixing the problem is a little bit more complex for us because of the VoLTE capability we offer on these devices.

Temporarily, we still recommend you follow the troubleshooting steps here if you’re continuing to experience problems.

Steps: Manually drop the device to 3G/GSM from the Settings > Mobile Networks> Network Mode options.

What we don’t recommend is flashing non Rogers software on your Rogers device – doing this can cause issues with performance and affect your device's warranty.

Thanks again to everyone in the forum who has shared their feedback on this topic.

EDIT: The update has begun rolling out.

CLICK HERE for an S6 and S6 EDGE step by step troubleshooting guide after your 5.1.1 update.

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Darrell, appreciate the update.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @RogersDarrell finally an update that actually tells us something. Glad to hear it and I look forward to getting this fix. Is customer service going to be tracking? I want to make sure when I call once I have the fix that they know that this was a month of limited service and to ensure I can get a fair credit. Thanks.
I Plan to Stick Around

Darrell,

I have been following this forum because there wasn't one created for the Note 5 (although it is having the same issues).  After having my phone replced twice, I am having some luck again getting phone calls through and working data / texts.  However, my latest replcement was shipped with the original 5.1.1 update (the version the phone was released with) not the problematic one.  The release with issues is still a pending update that I haven't installed.  Is the Note 5 firmware in the same stage as the S6?

I Plan to Stick Around

Finally, Thankyou Rogers (Darrell), I hope this update will fix all the issues and i hope you guys will provide credit to all customers who is involved in this issue.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @phoneswapper, the Note 5 and S6 EDGE Plus are not affected by the 5.1.1 OS issues.

This issue and thread is solely relegated to the Samsung S6 and S6 EDGE.

Thanks,

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

Darrell,

Your tech support department has told me the exact opposite all 7 times I have contacted them.  They said the issue affects the Note 5 and to NOT apply the most recent update (N920W8VLU1AOI1).  Are you sure that this is the case?  My phone bugs me multiple times a day to install this update and I have been holding off becuase Rogers TechSupport advised me not to.  Can you confirm this?

I Plan to Stick Around

Was able to get MobileSyrup's ear on Social Media as they were following it but unaware there was still a problem. They were looking into it just before the update came out and have published an update as well. The 16th can't come soon enough... hopefully this will all be behind us after that. http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/11/10/rogers-to-release-fix-for-problematic-galaxy-s6-android-5-1-1-upda...
I've Been Here Awhile

SOLUTION FOUND! My Samsung S6 updated to Android 5.1.1 on Sunday. All seemed well after the update. Today my phone lost the ability to make or take phone calls. I took the phone to the Rogers store in the mall and they were unable to fix the problem. They tried every suggest fix on this forum including turning off Voice over LTE. They gave up after over an hour of troubleshooting.

I work for a very large company and we have our own mobility department. Some more background: this is the second S6 that this happened to for myself. The first time our mobility department just gave me a new S6 that had not been updated to 5.1.1 and I ignored the prompts to update. The phone worked great until this Sunday, when I must have accidentally accepted the upate. Our mobility team told me that for the previous phone that was "bricked" they simply installed a new SIM and it worked again. So we tried it with this one and Viola! I'm back in business. 

Just go to a Rogers store, swap out the SIM, and you should be good.