Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Well, some would argue that's a feature! The less said about it here the better as Rogers may start charging extra for it.

I hear re: GSM though... it's totally unuseable. The no wifi option is certainly not perfect, but coupled with a couple reboots a day the only option I've been able to get by with so far.
Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

The voLTE(voice over LTE) is only useful if you are someone who uses the internet and require it to be on LTE while you are on a call with someone. The fact that I never noticed for years that my phone goes to 4G when I am on a call with someone says that it is a feature that is not really important for most people.

It is unfortunate that this is the feature that played a major role in causing all the issues we are currently having and is also the cause for delaying the release of a fix.

I spoke to an agent again today and he said that turning off LTE is not required. I just need to turn off voLTE. However as I mentioned earlier turning off voLTE didn't really fix the issue, so he said he will call back later. He also mentioned that rogers didn't really implement the voLTE feature properly yet and at most of times it's not working anyway so turning it off should not affect your experience vs leaving it on. He still doesn't have an update of when the fix will be officially released. 

Better business bureau is a good place to file a complaint but a better place is CRTC, through CCTS. I wanted to cancel my contract due to this issue but I have to pay a few hundred dollars to do that and I still have to sell this phone and incur an additional loss. So due to lack of options I am going to stay with Rogers until the end of the contract. However I will not accept not receiving a refund for the period I have experienced this issue.

bobbysk
I Plan to Stick Around

That is simply not true.  I turned off VOLTE and then did all of the resetting...  including a factory reset eventually, and none of this worked.  It wasnt until I turned off LTE all together that my phone returned to functional. 

benny27
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, turing off the VoLTE does nothing. Only thing that seems to help is switching to GSM/HSPA which is crap!

One month later and still nothing and no updates. Unreal!

paulwatkins
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, it's unfortunately like I said Benny, just a bunch of plebe's with new contract. Nobody at Rogers cares... the best we can do is remember and act on it in a year and a half to two years when contracts become due.... but that's a long time and there will lots more ups and downs before that.

I've been close to that point many times with Rogers over the past 15+ years, and was probably closest to leaving this last renewal when I picked up the S6. Roam Like Home and a historically better network (or atleast perceived better) were what kept me this time, inspite of the knowledge of dismal and declining customer service.

Telus for me has far better reception and call clarity in my area, it will be interesting to see where the players are all at when it comes time to renew.
benny27
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya i just renew so i am basically stuck for another yr and a half...so far one month of the phone hasn't been worth the price i am paying

jon604
I've Been Here Awhile

I've got an urgent update on the s6 edge on Oct 31, 20.77mb. It says Edge screen. What's that about? I'm afraid to install it since I'm having problems with my 5.1.1
I would lose network and have to reboot sometimes twice a day
rh52
I Plan to Stick Around

jon604, this would be a great moment for an official Rogers person to help you, and provide actual information, right here on this forum. That would surprise a lot of people!
Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

@jon604 I got that update a week ago. You can install it.
That urgent update is just a security update for the edge screen. It's released directly by Samsung and has nothing to do with the issues we are currently facing.

I got excited too when I saw it the first time but a little research showed that its nothing useful.
http://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28199

Did anyone hear about google finding lots of bugs in Samsung's latest android update after their customization. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/04/google-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-high-impact-security...

Annayya
I Plan to Stick Around

From the user opinions here, I have turned off LTE again. I wonder how much longer we have to deal with this nonsense.

I am now on vacation for two weeks and this is the worst time to miss calls or not use LTE. It sucks that we have to pick an option.

The Rogers reps should give their new s6 and s6 edge customers two options at the time of signing up for new contract.
Do you want to miss calls or do you want to have bad internet?