Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out as I am getting quite frustrated and upset by what's been happening.

At the end of August, I got the new S6 Edge+. Been happy with the phone in general, but I have noticed that it's having major network connection/signal issues.

At first, within the 15 day return period, I didn't fully realize it was a problem. A dropped call here, slow 4g connection there. But now that I am using the phone more and more, I am noticing that it is an actual issue. I am getting frequent dropped calls, failures to dial out or it takes 45-60 sec to dial a call, slow internet/data, most of the time its connected at 4G but even then it doesn't even load anything. I actually bought two S6 Edge+ phones and the 2nd isn't experiencing any of the issues that this one is. As the matter of fact I am looking at both of them now side by side,  and 1 has full LTE connection, everything is working fine, and the 2nd with the problem is connected at 4G and can't even update the weather widget. 

I've done all the possible troubleshooting: called Rogers and had a "network reset". Went into the store and got a new SIM. Performed 2 factory resets. Safe mode. And the issue still seems to be happening.

Because it's past the 15 day return period, rep at the store told me nothing can be done, and I should speak with Samsung. Samsung told me I need to speak with Rogers because this is where I bought the phone. Noone can seem to diagonse the problem and when the rep tried the phone at the store, ofcourse it worked fine.

But it doesn't. I use it every day, and there is an obvious issue. Something that the 2nd phone I bought does not have. At this point I am getting very frustrated and I want the device replaced, I don't care who does it, Rogers or Samsung. The rep at the store suggested that they can send it in and have it refurbished, but for a $900+ device I just bought, I dont find this to be an acceptable solution. $900 spent on a month old "refurbished" phone? No thanks.

Would appreciate some advice from the mods as I'm getting the run around everywhere else.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @gmantonz,

From what you've described and the fact that you compared another S6 edge side by side really points towards a phone issue. If the other S6 is on the Rogers network as well and working fine, we can rule out the possibility of poor wireless network in the area. You've done everything you possibly could from my knowledge to try and resolve the issue. There are other users here experiencing similar issues as well. I remember when I had an issue with my iphone a couple of years ago, I had to actually record a video and show it to them at the store for them to believe me there was an issue. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I've Been Here Awhile

Has this been fixed for anyone yet? I've called a couple times and I'm still missing incoming calls and SMS are delayed. 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

Is anybody noticing battery life being affected since updating to 5.1.1? Suddenly my battery seems to last only half a day.

I've Been Here Awhile

When this issue gets fixed everyone will know cause it'll be another update from Samsung to fix what they messed up.... Just have the techs reset your connection when you notice this happening.... Im communicating with them via the Facebook Messenger from their page
Rogers Employee LeTricolore
Rogers Employee

Maybe it'll be patched tomorrow, after the long weekend. That's possible... right? Right?!

I've Been Here Awhile

Hope for the best
I Plan to Stick Around

I find it hard to believe there will be a quick patch. When the first iteration of the 5.1.1. update came out last month, I was one of the unlucky few who got it before it was ultimately pulled by Rogers. My phone had all the issues that everyone is saying they are having now with this latest 5.1.1. version. No one from Rogers could fix it. Not online, not on the phone and not in person. Tried everything and nothing worked. Rogers ended up swapping my phone for a new one that came loaded with 5.0.2. They've had about a month to fix it and now that 5.1.1. is out again, I am extremely surprised the issues persist. I am confident this problem goes deeper than they are letting us believe. Needless to say, I'll be more than surprised if they fix this quickly but will be crossing my fingers it happens sooner than later because I'm not taking my chances with updating until they've figured it out.
I Plan to Stick Around

eightdown's tale makes Rogers look like they were winging it when they re-released 5.1.1 last week, being overly optimistic instead of testing it thoroughly. They'd already seen problems a month ago yet they went ahead last week and caused similar calamity. Live bug testing is very inappropriate. Rogers should have a sandboxed method for testing things, or at a minimum installing on a few test phones.
I've Been Here Awhile

Just adding to the chorus here of people having issues with not receiving text messages or getting them quite late. Galaxy s6 in my case, calls are mostly going through but sometimes not. Please fix this asap.
Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.