Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Agreed @mahersaghier
But that's how Updates work on Android.
Most people are use to Microsoft "Patching" updates (Like Service Packs, and restoral points).
Android is too lightof an OS to have these 'features' (more like fail safe than features).

You can Root and Flash it but without Root. You got limited options.
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@gp-se - if the firmware is buggy, then usually an update follows;
buggy firmware entails it being extremely difficult to use but if its select users only, Usually IT (of any type) looks for examples on what the issue is considered 'buggy' and how it is caused before and update can be produced. (can't solve a problem without knowing the root cause right?)

but similar response that I have provided to Mahersaghier ... you can Root and flash to another version, (or customer rom)...

One disclaimer to keep in mind. Manufacture warranty is voided once Rooted - as it is no longer under manufacture specification.

Cheers.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just think it's funny that blame gets passed on elsewhere and customers are expected to be OK with paying the amount they do on their contracts for a service that really isn't working at all. Yet, you go over your data for the month as little as 100kb and are instantly charged an exorbitant amount instantly. Just a little sad, but whatever I guess we should expect it. Hopefully my phone will be working properly before 2016 at the least!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ShakTiburon @gp-se @mahersaghier

There is a way to do it without rooting. Google "Official stock firmware Galaxy S6" and follow the xda link. There are detailed step by step directions on how to update to 5.0.2 firmware.

This is going to be my weekend project 🙂

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

No Wai! Nice. Thanks for the info @mohitk 🙂
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Agree with you 100% @mahersaghier

We become guinea pigs for testing an update that should have been tested before release. They know we can't do much besides cribbing so what's the rush? 

@mahersaghier wrote:
I just think it's funny that blame gets passed on elsewhere and customers are expected to be OK with paying the amount they do on their contracts for a service that really isn't working at all. Yet, you go over your data for the month as little as 100kb and are instantly charged an exorbitant amount instantly. Just a little sad, but whatever I guess we should expect it. Hopefully my phone will be working properly before 2016 at the least!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having the same issues since getting the device.

I wont receive messages for a while, and then i notice its because i dont have service. "Emergency calls only"

I've tried turning airplane mode on/off and sometimes that works.

The only way to get it back for sure is to restart the device.

Sometimes i wont notice, because its when i leave wifi zone, that cellular doesn't take over. 

Sometimes wifi is off, and i still lose cellular. 

Its the same SIMcard i had in my Nexus 5, and i've never had this problem before.

Also, i've noticed the same problem in Montreal and in Ottawa. 

Any ideas? 

A

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Aren't all companies like that?
Apple denies flaws until they have fixes.
Microsoft patches everything (including patches)
Android is delayed due to Gaps between Google > Manufacture > Carriers
Product launches by all companies are now more so about money grab.

The public was always Guinea Ps - internet makes us more aware how bad it is in modern world than say... 80s or 90s... back then. 😐
I am currently disappointed with Samsung for taking away features on Note 5 but still loving the Phone because itself is good for it's own standings...

@mohitk - you should look into Car manufactures... those guys are notorious for such actions, lemon cars? oh man if you ever get one... it's a whole different ball game.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ShakTiburon I totally get it!

Its just that when you are on the recieving end of things, all logic goes out the window 🙂

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

True say @mohitk
The word logic doesn't exist. Forget throwing it out the window. 😛 haha