Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Hello @ShakTiburon

Agreed but also stay on topic as well Smiley Happy.

Yes we do have a great lounge section for any off-topic posts and we also have a great Ideabox and also general section for you to post in.

Thanks! Smiley Happy
I Plan to Stick Around

I read on a mobile website a few days ago that Telus had announced it has changed its 5.1.1 os upgrade schedule for the galaxy s6/s6 edge aswell, says it is not coming out till September. .so more then likely thats when Rogers and Bell will also push the update out, looks like we are in for quite a wait.
I Plan to Stick Around

Sad if this is true. Wish Rogers would stick to their word on the os upgrades page saying having correct dates is their top priority. Mean while I've never figured a coming soon to be considered a date.

Wonder if I could pull that off with customers from where I work when they ask for an install date lol "Coming Soon"
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @steveburke23

I have heard the same from a source inside Telus. They pushed it back due to a issue with Samsung Canada. So it seems like all carriers in Canada might follow suit unless Samsung let's them release it earlier.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @AccordXTC

Honestly everyone complained that Rogers doesn't have a page up and now some complain that they do but aren't getting the exact dates. Make up ur minds lol.

In all honesty you guys fail to understand that they are told this from the manufacturers. While yes it does have the approval from the carriers, they can't release actual dates until they know for sure it will happen and even sometimes it won't be that exact date and change. That's why they add that little comment on the page. Telus does the same. All carriers and companies do.

I do agree that "Coming soon" isn't a good answer but it is something. Your work isn't the same as the customer I guess can see the date u pick for them. Same with us as my work. If they want services, they can see the opening dates on our screens and they see we have available dates.

Also services and a update from a carrier aren't the same. Remember that lol.
I Plan to Stick Around

I think the frustrating part of all this is Rogers could end it with one quick post. Instead of saying coming soon, explain why it is delayed. The quickest path to frustration and speculation is not knowing what is going on. They could fix that so quickly but choose to keep their customer in the dark instead. "Coming Soon" means nothing!

I Plan to Stick Around

I would understand the usual mambo jambo about updates and how long after most others we'll start getting them, i'm used to it by now. But what I don't understand is that T-Mobile's S6/S6 edge is 100% identical to ours in every way except for the T at the end which is replaced by W8 for us, started getting 5.1.1 in June. This proves that it's not a Samsung issue for our firmware getting delayed until September, it proves that it's always our carriers that make the upgrade process so painfully slow....other proof is that our scheduled release was in fact for June but for some reason it was pushed back 3 months. 

I know Rogers recently made available SureTap on Telus and Bell, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Anyways, I hope one day Google and/or Samsung start to regulate those danm carrier evaluations and start forcing them to push their updates through the playstore and not integrating directly in the firmware. Sometimes I wish a bit of that dictatorship mentality from Apple can make its way on Android.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

I actually wish Google dictated the whole update process from start to finish, without interference from anyone.
Everyone gets the update same time as nexus would be sweet.
Google view though, about open-source is what makes this whole thing complicated. They won't step in... or at least that what it feels like.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@ShakTib wrote:
I actually wish Google dictated the whole update process from start to finish, without interference from anyone.
Everyone gets the update same time as nexus would be sweet.
Google view though, about open-source is what makes this whole thing complicated. They won't step in... or at least that what it feels like.

I Agree but I also disagree. The fact that Google should have more control over updates, 100% with you. Same time as nexus? Pretty much impossible unless you want to lose a lot of ground breaking features. A lot of people don't like TouchWiz, but the fact is it's one of the most sophisticated android skins. They have integrated a lot of features in touchwiz that other OEMs and even Google have adopted in future releases. Good example of that is Multi-window, Picture in Picture multitasking, quicktoggle modification (put the quick toggles you want), kill all open apps, a file manager (how hard is this one, even today nexus devices don't have a stock file manager), powersaving modes, power button menus, and i'm sure i passed quite a few more. The fact is, is OEMs didnt have the liberty to mod, Android would not be as far as it is today. 

I think it's reasonnable to leave 60 days to OEMs to skin a new release, by the 60th day, they have to have completed rollout. I'm sure with the hundreds of thousands employee samsung has, they can certainly manage 60 days to optimize touchwiz for new version. But the big problem is carriers. WHAT IN THA HECK ARE THEY DOING? Do iPhones need weeks if not month to be scrutenized by some communications tech every time a new iOS comes out? How hard is it to modify a stock rom and install some bloatware most people dont use anyways and fill in the APN section? Heck, even I can do it in 2-3 hours. Why are other carriers in europe or asia not doing this like they do in north america? 

I think Google should crack down on them, give them some kind of way to update their bloatware though Play Store and as for the network settings, they can use a generic APN setting list that adapts to the sim card inserted. I really have such a hard time understanding what that certification process is exactly and why isn't used anywhere else but here?

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

@polishpat Smiley Happy hi hi
I meant Nexus as in timeline. not like NEXUS.
oh gawd no.
I actually like my Samsung, I actually like their custom software... my S-Pen on my Note is pretty useful to me. With the new update. Hold to screenshot feature got disabled. That's with lollipop. So yeah, things break with update.
Why has Samsung not fixed it yet?
Because Issue is with Google. Testing of Program and implementation is NOT same as "installing" an application.

Google should crack down on its own process. It should be providing much early releases to OEM before it even announces its own launch. Because that would stream line the process. However, neither of us are in that business so we get to discuss it and be done with it. My field of study is programming, so I can see where the delay and issue CAN be, but don't know if that is the root cause.
Having Millions of employee by Samsung wouldn't necessarily mean it will get done fast. More hands on deck can mean more errors, especially in programming.
unlike iPhone and iOS (I really don't like that brand, but I have to give them credit for this) - Their hardware and software are meant for each other, with android, everything is different. It's like PC. why do PC have security holes? Different Hardware for same base Operating System.
Why Do MAC not have much security hole? Same Hardware, Same OS. Only thing changed are memory and power.

This is where companies go wrong, you can't throw different hardware in the pot and hope it will work itself out and you'll cook a great product.
They half-cook things and dish it out to customers hoping they can add seasoning after to make it better (patches and updates).
It is what it is these days in regards to that.

As for Carriers, I think we don't give carriers that much credit, but they are the who deal with the consumers in this market of cellular phone, so consumers burn them the most. Which is fine, and it's not because I work for one them, I want to clarify, the root cause is deeper with my favourite company(/ies), Google (and Samsung);
I don't think any carrier has the same man-power as these companies who live and breathe programming. They have network to manage, and other phones to support.
The support for android (and just THAT phone model itself) would be limited. That is my guess.
I wouldn't expect less delay for any carrier.
But being Canadians, you have to remember, regardless how populated it is in GTA or major cities, most of our country is moose and beavers.
We just aren't a big market like the USA, India, Japan, Korea and China (among other countries).
Support for Canada is there only because we fall under USA market due to being in the same continent.
We actually aren't that big at all in that market.

All my opinion of course respectfully.