Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

I had noticed at the begining of June the OS upgrade page said that we'd see the 5.1.1 for our phones same month and that now has changed to Coming Soon! Anyone know what hapened or why Rogers backed from releasing the update.

The memory leak on this phone is a big killer on the device, restarting and closing out apps is a bandaid fix I'd like to see go away. Any mods know if or when will see this update?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Update

Hello @AccordXTC

Unfortunately they won't give u the exact details but it would well be due to Samsung either asking them to remove it and add it to "Coming Soon" or Rogers doing it as they might have found something and fixing it.
Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Could be for many technical reasons. Either from Samsung or Rogers side. OS Update isn't just "fix the issue" and be done.

It can cause other glitches if not tested and that could (and would) prevent early release updates.

The structure of the OS and how other application, specially ones intergrated by Samsung and then Rogers play a role in this. As they both offer intergrated apps on the OS (Pre-installed).
The Update Page is more so a "guide-line" in my opinion, as it can either be pushed back to a later date or release on the date stated... but a lot of variables to account for...
I Plan to Stick Around

I guess one could believe that if the US didn't already push out the update to the S6 phones there lol. Oh well not a big deal I've learn to not have faith in what anything a provider says lol.

It'll come when it does just was more so wondering what the os page was offering facts or guesses

Thanks all
Rogers Employee

I don't believe anything anymore. @__@@

lol Samsung downfall is the bloatware, stock Android itself is pretty much what iOS is - bare minimal. (My Opinion, I'm not fan boy) ~ but when bugs and errors need to be iron out, these bloatwares and "enchanced" experience apps create roadblocks for the programmers - I feel for them because well I am programmer in training x__x

But I hear ya,
If you are familiar with the Portal.
Everything is a Cake 😉

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @AccordXTC

I agree with you as i don't believe what reps say for any company unless I know it's true. Unfortunately there isn't a way to find out when it will come out.

The bloatware, Software, OS and such take time to make sure it works good. As we know most manufactures add bloatware so the carriers have to make sure eveything works.
I Plan to Stick Around

Can someone explain how these software updates work and what Rogers has to do with it. 

From what i understand the update is out for the SIM unlocked version of both the S6 and S6 Edge. It is also out for most US carriers so my guess is there is nothing on Samsung's side blocking the update here. 

What exactly does Rogers need to fix,look at? As far as i can tell the phone is not running any Rogers sofware, it came factory unlocked and does not even have a Rogers logo when booting up or anything. If i were to buy an unbranded S6 and then update it to 5.1.1, it would work just fine on Rogers' network. 

So can someone explain why is Rogers blocking or delaying this update?

Rogers Employee

@angeluszero

Okay, I'll attempt to explain.

Factory unlocked phones will update via OTA from the manufacture with their bloatware (they still have their bloatware).

So When google updates their OS, Nexus gets it immediately as it is barebone / stock Android OS.
Samsung in this case, will receive the update from Google, modify it for their UI (Touchwiz) and also confirm that their built in software runs properly. and release it.
Unbranded phones at this point will receive the update via OTA.
Branded (Carrier) phones will not.
The carrier receives the update from the manufacture after modified with their UI and bloatware, confirms and checks that it meets their specs for their network and their own bloatware/software updates that and then releases it to the Branded Phone.

Google > Manufacture > Carrier
Nexus | Direct/unBranded | Branded

That is the steps.
On top of that, If you have a unbranded/unlocked by factory phone and attempt to use a Rogers App, it may still not work as they have not released updated version of that App for the new OS update so it may still fail until they have streamlined it (which is at the same time as the OS update sent out, ... usually).

Rogers doesn't "Block or Delay" updates. Rogers has its own process. All Carriers do, Internationally.

If the question was why is rogers blocking or delaying update.
My question would be, why is samsung blocking or delaying the update?

because essentially, Google already realeased it. I am a big samsung fan, so I will clearly state this - Samsung adds the biggest delay from all the manufacturers of Android, Samsung has high amount of bloatware. I don't see that as a downside. I am a Note user and that baby has a load of features added on top of Google's Android alone and that is not including the UI TouchWiz (which is a major thing on its own).

Bottom line,
Its a 3 tier process for Branded Phones. (Carrier)
Its a 2 tier process for Unbranded Phones. (Manufacturers)
Its a 1 tier process for Google Phones. (Nexus)

Hope that helps?

Side Note: Factory unlocked and Sim Unlocked are two different things, be aware of that.
Side Note 2: Samsung release for each carrier is different, US takes priority for Samsung, its a bigger market. (We canadians get the cold shoulder a lot of times from Manufacturers, not just in phones in Tech world - I.e Google Glass)

Tag me if you have any further question, I'd love to help and answer more questions I know answers to.
I've Been Around

Is android update 5.1.1 schedule for S6 ?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @patelshiv11

At this moment there no information when it will come out. Keep a eye out on the "OS Upgrade Schedule" thread though! Cheers!