Samsung Galaxy S5 marshmallow update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 marshmallow update

I suggest if your phone is that full you may temporarily remove a couple of large applications. They can be easily reinstalled from Google play.

The SD Card may or may not be a help or curse. I have a 128gb in my S5 and after doing the upgrade, copying the whole card to my pc and attempting to adopt the storage as works natively in Marshmallow, I discovered that Samsung has that feature disabled at least in the S7 and looks like the S5 also. The love affair may be over just in time for my term to be up and maybe look at another , maybe Nexus device.
I Plan to Stick Around

I got the update by manually checking the software updates. I'm mostly happy with it. It sure doesn't change a lot. One problem I'm having is that my bluetooth is completely unreliable since the update. It worked perfect with my headset before and now it will completely disconnect at times and otherwise it is very patchy. Has anyone else noticed this?

The best thing about this update is that it allowed me to install Samsung's Good Lock lockscreen. This adds a bunch of useful shortcuts to the native lockscreen that are very usefull.

I've Been Around

I hate this update. my S5 is basically useless now. It lags and freezes constantly when texting.
I've Been Around

I have the S5 Active and as of yet no update starting to think not going to happen 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @steve6977

Hopefully soon but at this moment there is no word on when the S5 Active will get it. Stay tuned.
I Plan to Stick Around

What is this good lock screen you speak of?  I see nothing new on mine?  I seem to have lost Text notifications as well, along the top status bar, can only select popup, or just to show the little envelope.

I Plan to Stick Around

The lock screen should be in Galaxy Apps but it is officially only compatible with S6 and up. So I installed the APK from apkMirror.

You can read Samsungs info at this link: https://news.samsung.com/global/good-lock-customize-the-way-you-use-your-galaxy-smartphone

I Plan to Stick Around

So, it's working well with your S5?  looks pretty sharp.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well after update battery drain Is the worst ever and while under normal use I drop 10 percent in minutes. At 100 percent I'll let phone sit on dresser and maybe 6 hrs later almost dead. Any app I don't use I close also manually shut down.
The main problem tho is I CAN'T RECEIVE texts sometimes ? ????
My wife is texting next to me over last 3 hours and nothing? My family last few days and not getting texts. Yet I have been getting some junk texts all of a sudden advertising bs.
I Plan to Stick Around

@jmatteis wrote:

So, it's working well with your S5?  looks pretty sharp.

Yes, it's (Samsung Good Lock) worked perfectly as far as I can tell. I've had it for just over 2 weeks now and love it.