Samsung Galaxy S2

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

@ Barbas. Have you ever thought of looking at Kijiji.ca or Ebay? People sell their used phones at cost but it will be cheaper then canceling your contract & buying a phone again OR buying a phone outright. I have found around 38 iphone 4 phones for less then 450 on kijiji. Some are new & some are used.

Rogers does offer a " out of warranty service" in which they have ONLY a FEW selected phones such as Bold 9700, Torch 9800, iPhone 3G ( yes its old) & a few others. They DO NOT offer any new phones.

So in my suggestion i would go with looking at Kijiji & ebay to see where you can find the cheapest phone. Remember to always bring someone with you & meet somewhere like at a mall or a coffee shop & in day light.
I Plan to Stick Around

@ tristanludlow8t; the shot of your new desktop in your phone does not look like my Galaxy S2 LTE (SGHi727R).

Are you sure you have an LTE phone???

Mine has Samsung below the top speaker and screened buttons at the bottom.

I Plan to Stick Around

Shaggyskuny, Meowmix, Thanks for your concern, yes I speak Spanish,so I am sorry if I make mistakes, in my old post when I said P U F F !!! means some one take my phone from my pocket when I was in the ambulance, now I see eBay yesterday and find a sgs2 LTE but ATT do you think will work on Rogers? brand new $ 200 , if I buy a iphone I need to cancel my LTE service? any of you try the find my phone from Rogers page? I can't open it. Sorry for to many questions, in a chair for 3 more weeks

I Plan to Stick Around

@barbas -- if you were in a car accident, and this accident caused your phone to break, then I would make a claim with the auto insurance company. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi

I just picked up the Galaxy S II LTE from Rogers in Mid november. I have been having some annoying Software Crashes. I have not had time to review the 200+ messages so I apologize if this has already been discussed. Here is my experience:

It has a great display and good features however be ready for  multiple device crashes per day. When I first had the device it would freeze up during screen transitions, messaging (especially when accessing email during incoming sms messages), handoff between LTE and 4G and during charging scenarios. The symptom is that the device slows down to the point of freezing most often showing a blank screen . The only remedy is to hold down the power button and power off the device. This is not due to excessive multitasking, it happens even when minimal tasks are running. Initially it was 8-10 crashes a day. After I reconfigured the device to disable screen animations, removed active widgets etc. it has been reduced to 3-4 times a day. Having worked in the smartphone space for 10+ years this appears (may be wrong) to be a classic memory-leak or state transition issue that needs to be tracked down and fixed by Samsung (and then run through the Roger’s SW approval process). I did purchase the return-insurance at a retailer and will likely return  this device if a SW fix is not provided soon.

I doubt it is related to my device only however it could be. Have others experience weird freezes, reboots etc?

My SW version is 2.3.5 Android, Samsung Kernel 2.6.35.11 Build # GINGERBREAD.RUXKJ7

Thanks in Advance

I Plan to Stick Around

Liability coverage only, I am on my on.

I'm Here A Lot

@RHMUSER wrote:

Hi

I just picked up the Galaxy S II LTE from Rogers in Mid november. I have been having some annoying Software Crashes. I have not had time to review the 200+ messages so I apologize if this has already been discussed. Here is my experience:

It has a great display and good features however be ready for  multiple device crashes per day. When I first had the device it would freeze up during screen transitions, messaging (especially when accessing email during incoming sms messages), handoff between LTE and 4G and during charging scenarios. The symptom is that the device slows down to the point of freezing most often showing a blank screen . The only remedy is to hold down the power button and power off the device. This is not due to excessive multitasking, it happens even when minimal tasks are running. Initially it was 8-10 crashes a day. After I reconfigured the device to disable screen animations, removed active widgets etc. it has been reduced to 3-4 times a day. Having worked in the smartphone space for 10+ years this appears (may be wrong) to be a classic memory-leak or state transition issue that needs to be tracked down and fixed by Samsung (and then run through the Roger’s SW approval process). I did purchase the return-insurance at a retailer and will likely return  this device if a SW fix is not provided soon.

I doubt it is related to my device only however it could be. Have others experience weird freezes, reboots etc?

My SW version is 2.3.5 Android, Samsung Kernel 2.6.35.11 Build # GINGERBREAD.RUXKJ7

Thanks in Advance

I've read this thread since it was 5 pages long... and after the phone was finally available I don't recall anyone complaining about so many freezes. I have mine for a month now and it froze I think 2 or 3 times (at most) but it was when I was starting an app. After a reboot it worked fine including the app that froze it initially. I have all the animations turned on, i have widgets on the home screens and it did not freeze even once because of them. I would say it's a hardware issue and you shoudl try to get a replacement.

Other opinions?

I Plan to Stick Around

Haven't had any such issues with my device. Only problems are less than stellar battery
Performance and Bluetooth not working as intended. I think you have a defective device sir as my phone has only frozen 2 or three times since I bought it a month ago.
I Plan to Stick Around

@ rhmuser - This is not typical to the device from al I've read here. I suggest a battery removal and reinstall. See if the totally clean boot helps. My phone was working fine for me, but a removal and reinstall of the battery helped wipe out some applications that had found their way into locked-on mode.

FYI I am using Advanced Task Killer and have it set to auto-kill unwanted apps. In the absence of rooting my phone I have found this also keeps the phone running well and battery life more under control.

Still not happy with the network, but speeds are improving. I live north of Toronto and outside LTE zone and often do not get calls on the phone, even if I dial my own number from the home phone. There needs to be something done to make reception better overall but the freezing is something wrong and not typical.

I've Been Here Awhile

@Splashdown. Thanks. I have tried the battery removal and even the reset to factory settings. Yet it freezes still 3-4 a day (I have had a day of 2 when it was one freeze per day but never a freeze free day). I am usung the Super task killer but the one that requires me to manually close doan tasks. I have installed the following on my device - Linked In for Android, Facebook for Android, Twitter for Android, You Tube, Angry Birds, NHL Game Centre, Yahoo mail client , Foursquare for Android and Reuters News app. None run as a widget. That is it.

When i was looking at some global forums people talked about freezes and reboots but not as often as I have seen them. Thanks for people who have replied Ill wait and see if there are any additional posts then decide what to do

Cheers