cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2

canucklove
I've Been Here Awhile

I spoke with a Rogers rep and he said that they will not be getting the S2 yet. He said probably not until earliest September, but more likely even later in the year.

Too bad...its an amazing phone, but I've been saving my upgrade for months and months for the S2 only to be disappointed that I have to wait for everyone else to get it first. Smiley Sad

***edited labels***

836 REPLIES 836

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around

Battery life update:

10th day:
- Charged till 11:30pm last night (then unplugged it)
- On 4G all the time
- Played Scrabble online with my friend (on 4G, not wifi) for 15mins
- Went to bed at 11:45pm
- Woke up for work at 7:30am, battery says 100% still?!?
- Did a power off/Power on, checked meter again, battery down to 20%

So, all in all I am roughly looking at minimum 9-9.5hrs with light usage.

I have a charger at home, charger in my car, and charger at work (a la blackberry days)

I feel that car charger and if you charge it to your laptop/pc just trickles juice whereas if you plug it into the wall it charges pretty quickly.

Battery saver I always have on:
- brightness down to minimum
- dark wallpaper
- Fixed, static wallpaper
- GPRS off
- wifi off (only use it if Im at home and plugged to the wall)

- Android Booster app

Tonight I will try switching to 3G, and uninstalling Android Booster (since I know task killing kills the battery as well) and see how far it'll go.

adecesar
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone know who can pick up a reserved phone? The name on the account is that of my parents but I have authorization to make changes on the account (I have highest possible authorization, rank 1 or whatever it is). Is that sufficient to be able to pick up the phone from a store?

Thanks for any help.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
The account holder has to show up. Your parents need to show their I.D in order to get the phone. If your parents can not go then you can not get the phone. It does not matter if you a second highest in the account and you are able to make changes but like the rules says you need the account holder their.

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around

this it my 5th day with s2 lte. let me tell you how my battery is doing.

i did around 4 full charge cycles so far. (0% to 100%)

Last night I charged my phone to 100%, but this morning it had around 90%.(7:30am)

And until now (11:40 am) I did following activities with the phone.

watched video on my way to work for 20min (not streamed videos)

played mp3s for 10min

Sent and received around 100 msgs (4g)

Used facebook app for around 5min.

Checked email

Did not shut down any apps that I turned on (8 apps so far)

My screen brightness is set automatically

And now (11:40am) my battery is at 40%. I’m hoping battery life will get better after few more full battery cycle.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Nice battery life.. lol. To be honest the Battery life will not get better after a few more full battery cycle charges. It stays the same as before.

Try installing Juice Defender Ultimate. That will shut down the 4G & it will shut down any wireless stuff on the phone when its on standby.

Arkham
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, for those of you still on the fence, Bell and Virgin just announced that they are going to be the first to offer the Galaxy Nexus.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/galaxy-nexus-headed-to-bell-and-virgin-mobile-in-canada-three-i/

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Yes its been posted in the Galaxy Nexus thread. I would suggest you post that their & NOT here seeing as this thread is about the S2 LTE not the Galaxy Nexus.

Also on the Nexus Bell & Virgin have exclusive launch for it. So Rogers is getting it after Bell & Virgin releases it. Virgin claims on their website they are going to be the first to launch it.

Noojers
I've Been Around

Hey, just wondering....does anyone else know you can have 1. texts display on the lock screen (what the person actually said) and 2. FB notifications show up on the lockscreen instead of just disappearing after 5 seconds.....

Help would be appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks

adecesar
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the response before, Meowmix. I have another question if anyone happens to know the answer to it. Rogers shipped my galaxy s2 a week ago and the UPS tracking says it was delivered today - does that mean the store has it and I can go pick it up or just that it was delivered to a head office in Edmonton?

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around
**BATTERY UPDATE**

- Unplugged it at 100% from the wall charger at 11:00am
- Switched to 3G/GSM instead of 4G
- Light usage, multitasked scrabble, updates from marketplace and facebook group chatting.
- listened to music approx 1.5hrs at the gym
- Used wifi to download resources for a game approx 15mins.

and now it is 10PM so and sitting at 20% making it 11hrs usage so far at medium usage. I could probably go another 1-1.5hrs

Summary, switching from 4G to 3G totally saved a lot of battery time, brightness at minimum and wifi if I really need it.

soondai14
I Plan to Stick Around
How do you change to 3g mode?? Is that gsm mode?

villinvr6
I Plan to Stick Around

Thats correct, you should see it switch from 4 to G..sometimes to E for edge

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I am curious...Why would the SG2 show that it's connection is at Edge speed, while my Rocketstick is still connected at HSPA+ when they are sitting right next to eachother??? 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Shaggy this is one reason why i gave back my S2 LTE. I was able to get more bars & service on my Raider & iPhone 4S & with the S2 LTE i would not be able to get that much with it.

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:
Shaggy this is one reason why i gave back my S2 LTE. I was able to get more bars & service on my Raider & iPhone 4S & with the S2 LTE i would not be able to get that much with it.

Hey Meow, how's it going?

Well, I had spent almost 2 years with rogers tech about the rocketstick.....even when connected to hspa+ the download speed sucked!!  In the end, rogers is crediting me back 50% of the Sticks monthly cost.  I STILL have to sit down and look at how much the now TWO data plans are costing and just how far I can squeeze "my guardian angel" at rogers for discounts on the plan (s)? and the phone itself.  I know that many have commented that rogers won't budge...but I have over the course of the last couple of years (been with rogers for about 15+) been able to credit back to my account over $600.00 in data charges...I guess it depends on who you get when you call....?

In the last month or so the speed on the stick have been better...maybe because of LTE work?  I am checking connectivity when I am within 1km of a tower...but I see random 4G all the way to "can't display the page.....check your connection".... My Razr V9x ALWAYS had great reception/bars....So Is it the SG, or is it rogers??

shortydm11
I Plan to Stick Around
adecesar:
what i did was first called my store and they said no it wasnt there yet. so then i called ups and got the exact location where the device was dropped off. i called that location and asked how long until it would ship to my store. in my case i couldnt get to the location where the phone was first delivered before closing so i waited the extra day and it was at my store in the morning

Arkham
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix wrote:
Yes its been posted in the Galaxy Nexus thread. I would suggest you post that their & NOT here seeing as this thread is about the S2 LTE not the Galaxy Nexus.

Seeing as how many people in this thread mention waiting for Rogers to get the Nexus, it's definitely relevant here.  Just as relevant as your posts about the Raider. 😉

This news might even convince people on the fence to pull the trigger on the GS2 LTE from Rogers now rather than wait even longer for Roger's Galaxy Nexus.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I post about the Raider BECAUSE i reviewed & how both S2 LTE & the Raider.... If you read most pf my post have to do with reviewing them both & people ask me about how it works & all.

Anyways.. I rather just get a phone now instead of waiting for another 2 months for the Nexus.. Remember if you reserve it threw the reservation system you are going to wait longer to get it.

marcoco
I Plan to Stick Around

@shortydm11 -- According to comments it looks like he's using an emulator to run old games. ("fpse you can buy it from the market") This can be done with older phones too. 

@shaggyskunk -- Our point is that you dont need a laptop to do this anymore. Our phone is becoming the front-end to all our media. One device to rule them all, and it fits right in your pocket.

kickernips
I've Been Here Awhile

So just some news to people who still havent received their S2 yet. My phone was shipped on the 8th to an address in Burlington instead of the Upper James store in Hamilton. According to UPS they shipped it and was delivered and signed for and the case is closed. Rogers has no idea where my phone is. Im on the phone now with a customer care manager. The UPS tracking number has 6 other packages with it so im assuming 6 other peoples phones are lost as well.

bluecoupe
I Plan to Stick Around

For those that might want a case for their phone I just picked up a case-mate from BB for $25... it will offer some protection and it doesnt make the phone that much bigger either.