Samsung Galaxy S2

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

I've had the phone 4 days (since Saturday).  First android phone.

My comments & observations:

1. the phone is the SGH-I727R.  You can find the manual on the samsung.ca site
  2. battery life is pretty short compared to my last phone (E71) but from the few posts I've seen on this, I guess this is OK
  3. it's fast (I mean in response handling)
  4. the indicator icons seem a little wonky.  one of them (a down arrow above a line) can show up multiple times
  5. voice commands don't work for me, e.g. doesn't pick up names from my address book (e.g. text <name> I'm coming). 
  6. speaker phone is tinny
  7. I press the volume button when I'm trying to lock the phone with one hand
  8. I called CS and got the $20 credit taking the price down to $179.  Will see next week if anything happens because of the FutureShop sale
  9. The navigate voice is hard to hear in the car but I don't think that's the phone.  The E71 was much better
  10. I love the pulldown to turn on/off wifi/bt/etc.
  11. the coolest app I've found so far is Google Sky.  I LOVE THIS APP!
  12. I set up the very bottom keys to always stay lit (until the screen is locked), I find that much better.

Having said all that, I'm still happy with the phone so far.  I don't have the LTE data plan, so can't say what that's like.  And I'm looking for a good protective case if anyone's found one yet.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

For everyone that is thinking about calling Rogers to get another credit off for the phone. YOU CANT. Future shop makes their OWN prices in which Rogers will not price match. You can cancel with rogers AND THEN go get it from Future shop for that price.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It's true.  I also spoke with Rogers and though some Rogers stores may offer price matching, it's at their discretion.   There will be no price matching over the phone, even at Retentions.  Was just off the phone with Retentions and in my case, they waived 120$ of early upgrade fees but did not match the price of the phone with Futureshop's add.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Correct. Future shop makes their own prices just like wireless wave. They are 3rd party resellers in which set their OWN prices & terms ( not contract terms just prices & discounts) They make money off of it so this is why Rogers is not price matching it. Now if you cancel like i said with Rogers & go to Future shop & get a phone that is great. But do not bother calling Rogers. Bell & Telus do the same as well. They never price match Future-shop or other stores like that.
I Plan to Stick Around

So to the wind for early adoptors and serious supporters.

I feel dirty!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

okay i don't know if i have a faulty battery or not

but i unplugged the phone at around 8am today

it's 10am now and i've lost 10% of battery already

down to 89%

juice defender is on

wifi is OFF

i do have a few widgets running

but 10% over 2ish hours seems a bit much?

can anyone comment?
i have hardly done anything with the phone

cept send a few messages on whatsapp

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@kid_icarus wrote:

down to 89%

juice defender is on

wifi is OFF

can anyone comment?

That seems to be what I'm getting now as well on my 2nd day with the phone.  its about the same as the Captivate so no big surprises here for me even with the bigger screen and all I'm getting the same battery use seems to be ok

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@kid_icarus wrote:

down to 89%

juice defender is on

wifi is OFF

can anyone comment?

1- Check your widgets refresh and synch. Lower it to the max you find appropriate for your need.

2- Display brightness must be to the lowest or on automatic.

3- Check your battery stats and see if there is an app in particular that is taking more juice.

4- Uninstall Juice Defender. (Background check and task killing kill the battery)

5- Make complete power cycle for a 2-3 days.

Check you daily average after 3 day and see if it performs better. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

That's not terrible. With how I use my phone, I can easily go through 40% of battery life in 2 hours.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Your complaining about that 😕 My S2 does the same thing. Remember also the battery drains when its trying to find service from the carrier. There is a lot of things that you can not find that makes the battery drain. Remember also that the more you play with the screen ( turning it off & on to see the time) can take down the battery as well.