Samsung Galaxy S2

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

This is what I really don't want to admit but it's bloodily true.

I have been with Rogers for more than 9 years. In this June, I was dumb enough to re-sign another 3 years contract only because the rep on the phone persuaded me that Rogers might sooner or later get the galaxy SII. I feel myself cheated but I have no choice at this moment. A cancellation fee of 400 bucks is not what a college student can easily afford. But I will tell anybody I know what I have experieced. 

For one thing I just do not understand, why Rogers can just sit there and watch the competitors to lauch dual core cell phones and annouce nothing afterwards? Too werid...

I've Been Around

From what a rogers rep told me, if you signed a contract, by law you can cancel it within a month as some kind return policy.

I have been with rogers more than 7 years now. Bell will have at least three dual core phone avialiable by end of this month, and rogers is still hopeless to get their hand on even one of them in near future.

If rogers don't come up with something by next month, I don't think I have any other choice than switch!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Regrettably, Rogers betted on the wrong horse again. See below for comparison between SG2 and Evo 3D. It appears that SG2 is superior to Evo in every category that matters.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-evo-3d-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-extreme-android-superphone-standof...

I'm an Enthusiast

I guess my only option is to buy the phone outright, or switch carriers.  I've been waiting for this one, and cannot believe they opted for the ridiculous "3D" phone, rather than what many are considering a revolution and a huge advance in phone tech.  This is simpy another example of Rogers being on the wrong edge of technology.

I switched to TekSavvy for my internet, now will need to find a good carrier for my wireless - both of my phones.  Sigh.

I Plan to Stick Around

Even more sad news:  Bell's getting a 4G version of the new Droid 3.

This is ludicrous.  Sure, Rogers is getting some new phones, but they're new phones that no one wants.

Doesn't anyone over there keep up with tech news?

I've Been Around

I think that this a very careless of Rogers.  Here we are on the brink of a new dual core cell phone revolution and Rogers is taking a back seat to the whole affair.  All the costumers that were waiting for a the new iphone in july would have definitely bought the samsung s2 because lets face it destroys the iphone 4.  It definitely begs the question, why is Rogers turning a blind eye to the new dual core line up of cell phones.  I hope its not waiting for its friends at Apple to come out with the iphone 5 in october because I would have definitely switched to Bell by that time!

I Plan to Stick Around

@Ferdinand wrote:

I think that this a very careless of Rogers.  Here we are on the brink of a new dual core cell phone revolution and Rogers is taking a back seat to the whole affair.  All the costumers that were waiting for a the new iphone in july would have definitely bought the samsung s2 because lets face it destroys the iphone 4.  It definitely begs the question, why is Rogers turning a blind eye to the new dual core line up of cell phones.  I hope its not waiting for its friends at Apple to come out with the iphone 5 in october because I would have definitely switched to Bell by that time!

There's a consistent rumour floating about that Rogers has an agreement with Apple to not offer a phone that's better than the iPhone.  I hope it's not true, but the reality certainly doesn't contradict that possibility.  Apple's lawsuit against Samsung may also be affecting Rogers' decision to offer the SGS II.

I Plan to Stick Around

If that's the case when will Rogers be releasing their bread and butter Iphone 5? Any Chances the new I phone will be better then the GS2. Dual core and all.
Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

Seeing as Rogers is the only carrier with true 4G LTE network (only in Ottawa but thats sure to change soon I'd imagine), I'd imagine that may be the reason they arent focusing on dual core devices atm. Why spend all the money and resources to get a 3G dual Core device when in ~6 months they could potentially offer an LTE dual core device...

I'm Here A Lot

"Seeing as Rogers is the only carrier with true 4G LTE network (only in Ottawa but thats sure to change soon I'd imagine), I'd imagine that may be the reason they arent focusing on dual core devices atm. Why spend all the money and resources to get a 3G dual Core device when in ~6 months they could potentially offer an LTE dual core device...
...."

I think you hit the nail right on the head - the problem with Rogers is that they're relying too much on the new LTE network as its main selling point while neglecting to introduce phones that people want.  I think Rogers made a poor decision  because:

- Rogers underestimated the draw of the SG2 and will lose a lot of customers (especially those who are knowledgable of phones) to Bell. These customers will soon commit 3 years to Bell for one of its many upcoming dual-core phones.

- LTE is only expected to be launched in Ottawa and Toronto this year while the other cities will have to wait to next year. Therefore, the impact of the LTE on its customer base this year is minimal. Rogers is basically alienating a big chunk of its customer base for the sake of 2 markets. At the same time, by the time the LTE is launched, many users  will have just committed 3 years to Bell.

- I wonder how many people actually care about LTE. Although it is fast, how many people will actually need and look forward to the speed for downloading on the cellphone. IMO, the current technology is more than enough for basic web browsing on the phone.

At the end of the day, given a choice between a cool phone and a fast network, I think most people will pick the phone...