cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 / S6 edge + Reservation numbers / Questions

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hey everyone! 

As you noticed today Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 5. I watched the announcement at work while it was going on.  Here are some specs on it! 

• Android 5.1 Lollipop, TouchWiz
  • 5.7inch Quad-HD Super Amoled (2560×1440)
  • Exynos 7420 octa-core (2.1GHz quad + 1.5GHz quad) 64bit, 14nm
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 32 GB storage (No SD card slot) 
  • Non-removable 3,000 mAh battery with Fast Charging
  • 16MP rear camera F1.9 lens and OIS (optical image stabilization)
  • 5MP front-facing camera
  • WiFi N, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS and NFC
  • 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6mm
  • 171g
  • Wireless charging
  • SPen
  • 4G LTE enable

Rogers will be selling it for $359.99 on a 2-year term, $860 no-term  and the reservation system will be open as of August 14th. 

Rogers will be releasing this device ON August 21st in 32GB sapphire black it seems but hopefully they add the more GB later on. 

If you have any questions or concerns please post ANYTHING about the Note 5 and reservations here please and i will be able to assist you with any questions you have! 

Thanks! 🙂 

738 REPLIES 738

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 / S6 edge + Reservation numbers / Questions

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ShakTiburon

Yeah similar to that but this is a bit better lol

@Meowmix Don't diss google 😛 At least they try ^__^

Very nice. Thanks for the info - Very good to know these little things! 🙂

constable145
I plan to stick around

I don't have the time to sift through all 59 pages so I apologize if this has been answered already.

Can anyone shed any light on when/if the 64gb version will be available? I've heard rumours of October but I've also heard that rogers doesn't plan to carry it. If this is the case,why?????

thanks

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @constable145

It won't be coming down here for a while and it might not even come at all. Samsung has blocked that it seems

@Meowmix pretty much summed it for you @constable145

Samsung believes the market control is a great choice. (there has been uproar about it in different forms of media on samsung pages especially by taking out internal memory).

I believe it has to do with "samsung pay" and avoiding hacks or security holes.
Expandable memory leaves a big gap in security most common users aren't aware of.

Samsung wants total control on their product.

They are Genesys from Latset Terminator essentially. (Bad movie reference, i know)

I haven't heard about October rumours you speak of though, where did you read up or see that?

Babukb2
I plan to stick around

i don't find it limited... for now, i can definitely see down the line i will be deleting things to free up space, i did that now when switching devices, cleaned up unused or useless apps

if i couldve i wouldve gone for a 64gb

my last device, S4 was 16gb and had a 32 gb sd card, all i had was apps, around 1 gig of music, and probably what took up the most space was my titanium backups which are about 3.5 gigs, i still had about 20gb of free space on that device

dieselx
I plan to stick around
The storage hasn't been an issue with me. I don't use a ton of apps. Maybe 20 on my phone. All my music is in Google Music and all videos and pics are up in Google Photos. Once Im on WiFi pics/videos that are taken that day go up. Every few days ill then delete it off my phone. I've got a good data plan and I'm on WiFi alot. As of right now I have 22GB left. Sure it would be nice to have 64GB but even my iPhone 6 was a 64GB and remaining storage was like 51GB when i sold it

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @dieselx

My 128GB iPhone 6 Plus had 71GB left before I sold it last year. I rather have 64GB or 128GB seeing as we can do 4K vidoe recording and with more apps needing bigger space.

dieselx
I plan to stick around
@Meowmix

For sure with the 4K Video. However, I have no plans on picking up a 4K TV anytime soon. I tried the 4K video for 1 min and it chewed up 350MB Wow. I switch phones probably like you which is sorta often. I'll probably have another phone in the next 6 months anyways lol.

wpd
I plan to stick around

I have 1293 pictures & 7 videos ( 3.93GB ) , 680 songs ( 3.19 GB ) and 84 Apps ( 6.72GB ) and still have 10.85GB remaining on my Note 5 32GB.

I too was worried but the 64GB or larger memory was more of a " nice to have " than a " need". The average person is likely fine with 32GB. Even if you have to " clean house " every now and then, that's not a bad thing to stay organized. Half the crap the average person has on their phone is not even used.

As the human eye is not capable of detecting 4k video, I have no desire to shoot 4k, less invest $'s into it.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @dieselx

Yeah 4K takes alot of memory. Thus why its better to get a bigger GB if possible in a device. I got the Curved 4K TV from Samsung & i can see & detect the difference between 1080p & 4K.

wpd
I plan to stick around

For those that want to read some fo the science, I'll post below. To capture 4K in the average home ( 6' viewing distance ), it's impossible for the human eye to detect a difference from 1080P. Distance is the key and that's why the higheer resolutions in movie theaters. That said, unless you're 20-30 feet away from the screen at home, the likelyhood of distinguishing 4K is unlikely.

Notes by Dr. Optoglass: The Resolution of the Human Eye

Topics Covered:

• The average and maximum resolutions of the human eye
  • PPI and DPI at various distances

Beauty is all very well at first sight; but who ever looks at it when it has been in the house three days? – George Bernard Shaw

As we have seen earlier, the average visual acuity of the human eye is one arc minute. The maximum possible is 0.4 arc minutes. It would be a very rare human indeed who can beat 0.4 arc minutes!

Therefore, we can safely say that the average resolution of a good eye is between 0.4 and 1 arc minute. Before these figures can be translated to pixels or displays, one needs to realize that the size of the pixel will vary with distance.

Visual Acuity

What’s the formula?

Pixel formula

where
d is the distance in mm
α is the angle in degrees

A very young child can focus at about 2 inches, but the average adult can focus no closer than 4 inches (100 mm). We can assume the lowest value of d to be 100 mm. At this distance, the pixel/dot size p is 0.0116 mm or 11.6 microns – for 0.4 arc minutes. For 1 arc minute, it works out to be 29 microns.

An inch is 25.4mm. So how many of our pixels can fit into an inch? @0.4 arc minutes, it is 2190 ppi (dpi). @1 arc minute, it is 876 ppi (dpi)

Maximum Resolution of the Eye

So this is how it is. If a healthy adult brings any display screen or printed paper or whatever 4 inches (100 mm) from his or her face, the maximum resolution he/she can see at is 2190 ppi/dpi. It doesn’t get any better than this for 99.99% of us, except maybe during pre-kindergarten years.

But the legally accepted norm of 20/20 vision only asks for 876 ppi/dpi at 4 inches!

Let’s have some fun:

Magazines and Fine Art Prints

If the average reading distance is 1 foot (12 inches = 305 mm), p @0.4 arc minute is 35.5 microns or about 720 ppi/dpi. p @1 arc minute is 89 microns or about 300 dpi/ppi. This is why magazines are printed at 300 dpi – it’s good enough for most people. Fine art printers aim for 720, and that’s the best it need be. Very few people stick their heads closer than 1 foot away from a painting or photograph.

Computer Monitors

The average computer monitor viewing distance is about 2.5 feet (762 mm). p@0.4 is 89 microns or about 300 ppi/dpi. p@1 is 222 microns or about 115 ppi/dpi. Now you can understand why most consumer computer monitors are about 100 ppi, and most professional computer monitors are slightly higher, but not by much.

The new iPad (3) has a resolution of 264 ppi, which isn’t as good as 300 dpi print but is much better than the average computer monitor. The new Eizo 36.4″ professional air traffic control 4K monitor is at 128 ppi.

Home television

Assuming the average viewing distance for television is 6 feet (1830 mm), p@0.4 is about 120 ppi and p@1 is about 50 ppi.

Most consumer large screen LCD and LED panels are about 50 ppi to 90 ppi, and average about 72 ppi. Now you know why. If your television gets smaller in size, then the higher ppi doesn’t really help. This is why 1920×1080 (at 100 ppi at 6 feet for a 50″ LCD/LED television panel) is good enough. The eye can’t really resolve a lot more at 6 feet.

Cinema

The width of a cinema screen can vary from 30 to 70 feet (360″ to 840″, 9144 mm to 21,336 mm). The closest viewing distance recommended is about 40 feet (3x height) – 12,192 mm. If one is projecting 2K on these screens, the ppi is about 2.4 ppi to 5.7 ppi. If one is projecting 4K, it is about 5 ppi to 11.4 ppi.

Is this what the eye needs?
p@0.4 works out to be 1.4 mm or 18 ppi.
p@1 works out to be 3.5 mm or 7 ppi.

As you can see, 4K comes very close to what the human eye can fully resolve in a cinema screen at average viewing distances. Obviously, many people sit in the front row, and they’d definitely appreciate higher resolution. Which is why we are moving towards:

8K and UHDTV
A 30 to 70 feet screen at 8K (8192 horizontal) gives me from 9.75 ppi to 22.8 ppi. This resolution beats what the eye can resolve at these distances. The future belongs to 8K.

But, to get 18 ppi (the best possible resolution) for a 70 feet screen, we’ll need a horizontal resolution of 15120 or 16K. This is about 128 Megapixels. Is anybody working on this?

• IMAX film is supposed to resolve between 10K to 12K (theoretical maximum)
  • The Phase One IQ180 digital back is 80 Megapixels.
  • The Red camera company did announce a 28K camera!

Takeaways:

• The maximum visual acuity of the human eye is 0.4 arc minutes.
  • At 4 inches, the maximum the human eye needs is 2190 ppi/dpi.

kerri_christian
I plan to stick around

I reserved the S6 Edge + 64gb 2 weeks ago and it finally shipped last week, when I went to the Rogers store to pick it up they told me they didn't have it, that they received 2 boxes with my shipping numbers and both contained wireless chargers, the manager told me there was nothing they can do about it so I called Rogers Customer Care and they said there was nothing they can do about either that I should try the Live Chat which of course is been down since yesterday, and now that device is not even available on the reservation system anymore. Very dissapointed with the customer service quality.

Patthe
I plan to stick around
Live chat work for me.

kerri_christian
I plan to stick around

Yesterday I tried it and it wouldn't scroll down so I couldn't see what they were typing, and today all I get is "Page Cannot Be Found" on both Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @kerri_christian

I would contact Rogers via live chat & see what can happen. Most of the times they cant do anything as they have non access to the reservations systems BUT the store should be able to offer you a store from the store stock & give u the wireless charger for free.

kerri_christian
I plan to stick around

Unfortunately here in Edmonton none of the Rogers stores I called had the 64gb model available, and for some reason is not available on the reservation system anymore either.

wpd
I plan to stick around

I see that on Thursday evening there will be a " ask an expert" event and the topic is the Rogers Reservation system. Alan Woo from the Devices and Supply Chain will be attending. Well, this is certainly something that EVERYONE I'm sure will want to attend and they allotted 2 hours from 6-8 pm. \

Bring all your " respectful" frustrations and questions. Long time coming....... 

Patthe
I plan to stick around
Im in Edmonton also. Got my S6 edge 64 for the last 2 week. I think im one of the first one to have it. I found the chat is sometime buggy. Just close and retry was what I do to make it work. Or even try with your phone work for me.

kerri_christian
I plan to stick around

I'm talking about the S6 Edge Plus 64gb

Patthe
I plan to stick around
Me too my bad, loo I have the edge + since 2 week ago.
Topic Stats